• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Nintendo Switch - is it worth it?

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Their continued support of 3DS especially bums me out. I was hoping since Nintendo was banking on the Switch's portability that they'd retire their dedicated portable and all those wonderful franchises would be released on console, either as fuller experiences or as reduced price titles with lower quality graphics. I would have loved for Mario and Luigi games to be on the Switch.
It's an odd choice, yeah, but I don't think the fans would have taken nicely the cessation of the Nintendo handheld dinasty after 20 years.
Still, I think they're gonna go a step further and gradually bring handheld sagas to the Switch. They've already announced a Pokémon RPG, and I'm sure many more franchises will follow. They're still testing the waters before they go all in.

AndrewG

Reaction score
You guys seem skeptical, but the sales are showing it to be quite a strong console already, without even going through the Christmas season yet and without a Mario game yet. This article by IGN shows really strong sales so far with only 4 major first party titles. The console is a little underpowered, yes, but I think what really matters is getting good games out. And they're doing it.

Chris Holman

Reaction score
bundle1.jpg

Okay, so Nintendo has always been thinking out of the box. And instead of going head on with their rivals in terms of hardware power, they again went for innovation. Their newest console, the Nintendo Switch, is a hybrid between a home console and a handheld.

It is actually pretty unique. However, it's graphics are of course no match to that of the PS4 and the Xbox One. And since it is still quite new, there are only a few games available for the system.

This brings me to the question, is the Nintendo switch with it if you already have a decent home console and a powerful mobile device like the Samsung Galaxy S8 to play games with?
Here's my take on the Nintendo switch. I agree with you when you said that it's the unique idea then at Nintendo is doing and I think it's also neat that the system is portable as well! Here are a few ups and downs that I see from the system.
The ups: 1) it's both a console and a portable device, 2) has very amazing potential and the portable gaming industry, 3) the graphics aren't the greatest, but they're not the poorest either!
The downs: 1) Not a whole lot of games out for a right now, 2) that console has it steep starting price still, 3) it seems to large to be considered a portable device in my opinion.
All those are my thoughts on the Nintendo Switch what are your guys's thoughts?

Westerlies

Reaction score
For me the Nintendo Switch is worth it. I was gifted one for my birthday but I was actively searching for one before. I use it everywhere and I think that's what's so exciting about it. I can pick up the game and go outside. I can go camping and bring it along and help entertain my niece. I take it to brunch and our friends will all race in Mario Kart 8. It's customizable by the colors and how you want to play it. It can fit your needs. Also those tiny joy-cons really pack a punch with the rumble features. I have maybe 6 games on my Switch now that I actively play. The battery life on it is amazing compared to mobile phones. The games projected to come look amazing and the ones they've put out are also worth playing too.