• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

My Guild Wars 2 Analysis

Hidden308

Reaction score
Okay, I promised a full on review, but won't be able to give you that since I realized..it was only a beta I played. Once the full game is released I will be able to give a full review of the game. For now I will be talking about what I liked and did not like in a more brief manner.

I did not take and screenshots or videos of this because there are plenty of others out there that did that and they would be just like mine. Now reviews, are not just like mine, so I feel like I need to give my side of the story.

I will be listing the top three positives and negatives and briefly going over them in this analysis.

Positives:

3. Have you ever wanted random group events with dozens of people? Well here you go.

Finally, from the beginning of the an MMORPG you can run out of your zone and randomly get into random events to battle bosses that will kick your ass. Yes, they will kick your ass if you don't have enough people attacking and reviving. They are truly a challenge to even the best of the best. No groups. Just random.

2. Combat is more than combat; it's a challenge.

While people are getting down on the combat, is it very difficult indeed. People seem to complain about it by just watching the videos, but they haven't experienced it. The combat in Guild Wars 2 is a truly different feeling from playing and watching. With the acrobatic moves you can do with running and dodging, you would surprised by the difficulty, especially on higher mobs.

1. I can do whatever I want, wherever I want, whenever I want.

From the very start you are allowed to go wherever you want and do whatever you want. Whether you want to do tasks, skill point tasks, or random events all day long, go ahead and you will be able to get the same amount of experience. Take a left, take a right. Encounter two entirely different regions with entirely different dynamic events. Take a shot at world vs world and get stuck in the excitement for days. There was SO much to do in the 60 hours that I could hardly get to 5% of it.

Negatives

3. WvWvW Queue? Oh no, not World of Warcraft.

Hopefully, we can just HOPE, that during the Guild Wars 2 launch there won't be any more 20 minute queue time waits for WvWvW combat. It's quite addictive to get into and the wait is atrocious.

2. Ranger pets need serious improvement.

I have never played with pets so buggy before. When I attack, my pet should attack. But only about 80% of the time it did. Pets also seem to die way too easily which needs to be fixed. Another common bug was when I try to revive my pet, it runs away from me. Yes..my pet is still "alive" when it's dead. Weird, right? If this is not fixed by launch I am seriously considering not playing the ranger like I wanted to as my main class.

1. It's in the works.

Of course it's going to be buggy as it was the first beta for pre-purchasers, what can you expect? It's still got a ways to go and I am sure ArenaNet will get it right. My greatest fear as of now is that ranger pets will not get fixed. Please fix them ArenaNet. Please. All former WoW hunters are needing this to be fixed!

Yep, I said it was going to be brief. I didn't have much time to write and I will be doing a much longer review at launch. As for my thoughts on classes, I only played the thief to level 10, elementalist to 17, and ranger to 10. I found that the elementalist takes a lot more skill than the other two (in my opinion). The ranger is quite fun and something I want to play as my main at launch, but if pets are not fixed, I may go against it.

Thoughts?

Hidden308

Reaction score
Good review I agree'd with most of it except for the pet for rangers. I never honestly had issues with the pet when I was playing ranger during the beta weekend and healing it during combat was not a issue and keeping it a alive either. :p

Hidden308

Reaction score
You did play the beta? Finally someone else!

Well it seemed like a lot of people had their pets wander off 10-30% of the time during beta. It really needs to be fixed.

Hidden308

Reaction score
You did play the beta? Finally someone else!

Well it seemed like a lot of people had their pets wander off 10-30% of the time during beta. It really needs to be fixed.

My pet sticked close to me like glue. lol Only time he ran off was during a fight but I never had issues keeping him alive because of the AoE heal ability all I did was went over to him and got close and used it. lol I love the heal ability. :D

Hidden308

Reaction score
I used the lion or whatever it was as my pet and it died a lot. Maybe it was for the wrong situation, but still I have read many complaints on GW2Guru about pets not attacking much of the time. I think this will need to be thoroughly looked at and fixed if I am to play a Ranger at launch. Otherwise I will probably play the elementalist.

Hidden308

Reaction score
I choose the bear during character creation. He always stuck beside me and did just fine. Maybe it could of been a bug just for the lion pet? I don't know. :p

Hidden308

Reaction score
It may have just been for the lion pet. I have a good feeling that ArenaNet will be on top of it though and get it fixed!

Hidden308

Reaction score
Yah I loved the game to bad I didn't get to do the endgame content I would love to fight a dragon... I only reached level 16 during the beta weekend.

Hidden308

Reaction score
Yeah it was a quick beta it seemed like. Hopefully we can get a lot more done in the next beta. I wonder if we get to keep our characters?

kjscrafts

Reaction score
Yeah it was a quick beta it seemed like. Hopefully we can get a lot more done in the next beta. I wonder if we get to keep our characters?

I wonder too. I have heard that in much of the original Guild Wars beta the characters were kept and wiped right before actual release. I hope they do it the same way this time. I do not mind starting over when the game releases, but it would be nice to keep the current character for beta and then start fresh only on release.

As for my pros and cons. My top pro is the dynamic events. The main negative was the problem with parties not always being kept together when moving between areas, but with it just being beta I am okay with their being bugs.

Mim

Reaction score
Thank you for your review. I've been thinking about trying this game out, whether I try to get into another beta event, or just throw caution to the wind and buy it at release. Some interesting information and thoughts in your post, and it does definitely sound like the type of game I'd be into...

shaggz235

Reaction score
Just curious, if any of you have played Rift before. How are these dynamic events any different from the rift invasions, zone events, or the instant adventures? I have yet to play beta or even look much into it

Jessi

Reaction score
3. WvWvW Queue? Oh no, not World of Warcraft.

Hopefully, we can just HOPE, that during the Guild Wars 2 launch there won't be any more 20 minute queue time waits for WvWvW combat. It's quite addictive to get into and the wait is atrocious.

You had a queue for WvW?! I got in instantly every single time and didn't have to wait at all. What server were you on? Each of the four maps was supposed to hold about 500 people, so at any given point, 2000 people should've been able to battle there....and I never had to wait. Sometimes certain maps were closed and I'd have to hop on a different one, but certainly no queue. That sucks you had one. :(

Hidden308

Reaction score
Rift is much less dynamic. Rift is the same thing over and over, while in Guild Wars 2 there are over 600+ different events and the number is growing weekly. They also require much more than just killing things a lot of the time.

And yes, I did have a queue for WvW. I was on a very populated server.