• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Moments in games where you just want to smash the controller

Pokemon

Reaction score
Share with us a moment in a video game when you were so angry at the game that you felt like smashing the controller.

I always feel like this when I'm playing a game and I'm stuck on just one damn level and can't get past it. I sit there forever trying over and over again but I just can't do it. I can't continue on with the game until I complete this level. I get even more mad when I make it near the end and then my character gets killed. Oh my god I start flipping out.

Hidden308

Reaction score
Oh.. I must be honest I had those days where I didn't feel good.. I would play multiplayer (Note: Do not play online multiplayer in any game during a day when you don't feel good..) and I would have that day where I would either die alot in multiplayer (or lose) and yah... Well you know what happens after that. :p

Demon_skeith

Reaction score
any fighting game when I know I input the right command but the game didn't carry it out and the other guy thrashed me.

And I did throw the controller.

JoeMilford

Reaction score
We mod-ed our Skyrim to the hilt, and every now and then, because of this overload, the game will freeze up at a crucial moment when I have forgotten to save or the auto-save didn't catch what awesome thing I just did. When this happens, I want to throw the controller through a plate glass window and into the mouth of a volcano.

Pixie06

Reaction score
I want to smash the controller in many instances.
1. Normally when I am playing a game and the power just goes off then I go crazy. On many occasions this means that I will have to start playing the game all over again.
2. When I am about to finish a game and win but then due to my mistake I can't make it to the end. This is frustrating. If I happen to die in the game then I feel like smashing the PlayStation:tonguewink:

Gladdy

Reaction score
I've never actually smashed my controller yet but there have been plenty of those moments through my years of gaming. The most frustrating moment for me, in any game, is you know when often games don't have a GOOD saving system set up? by a good saving system, I mean the basic logic of being able to save frequently and manually. I hate those games that only save once every 2 hours and you're stuck doing a very hard, long level... you're getting near the end, you die and you have to completely restart from the beginning because the game didn't decide to save your progress.

reginafalange

Reaction score
I don't smash my controller but I get really annoyed and frustrated if I'm stuck on one level for too long. When I realize I won't go through it quickly I feel terrible and I usually have to stop playing and take a break, do something else for a while to not think about it.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Gaming challenges like no death runs would do that to you. Or time limit challenges where you not only have to finish a level at a certain time, but you also have to do tasks inside it or the challenge doesn't count. I think there should be a fine line between challenge and frustration, but sadly most challenges games have are more for hardcore fans and wouldn't be as interesting or fun for the casual player.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Contra. The whole game. I'm simply terrible at these bullet-hell games and it's one of the earlier examples of that design ethos. I've never beaten it without the code after all these years. Sometimes event he very generous 30 lives isn't enough. I'm not proud to say I've lost after using it, but it's true.

gamergal

Reaction score
Well, there have been quite a few loose moments though, when I felt like leaving it all, but then the gamer instinct in me kicks in and the alter ego of a gamer I adored possesses me. I feel I can do it all over again. It doesn't matter if my game character is slaughtered by a Gonzalo, or if it's flipping through the cycle of life and death (or spawning or respawning), hanging around the inch of a cliff where there's no hope of saving it but letting it fall and suffer a miserable death. I think I can control my rage, and I can do so quite efficiently, without any worries of throwing down my controller or batting the CPUs out of my console. I guess I try to be more moderate in that. That's how I am.(*_*)

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Super Meat Boy, and its spiritual successor The End is Nigh.
ALL OF THEM.
Seriously, I love McMillen's game and I find them pretty fun, but those game are a hellish nightmare to complete! The secret optional parts are even worse - ok, they are optional so I don't have to do that, but after you die hundreds of times in a row you just want to smash something.

Louis50

Reaction score
Times where I want smash my controller would be when I'm playing 2k17 with my friends for money, and my shots won't go in , or when I lose the game.

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
That happens whenever I'm sooo close to finally pass a level! I mean when I am so close to winning but something happens and I lose the game when I've been about to win and the power goes off and the pc shuts down or something like that.

pauldox3

Reaction score
Lag of course haha the bane of all gamers. There are times when not only do i want to smash my controller, but i'd also love to smash my head into the TV. Although i'd never do it cause my TV is hella expensive and it'll probably hurt so bad. Although I smashed a controller once by accidentally throwing my wii mote back when wiis were still relevant.

valy

Reaction score
I remember one such moment, it happened two years ago when I have played Minecraft, I made a creation and had a lot of Items but my Pc crashed exactly when I was on the wave....then I have felt in a river and died and lost all my items. That was a memorable moment when I was so angry that you cannot imagine. I have almost quit Minecraft that day!

RosieDaven

Reaction score
The worst scenarios for me:

1. When I'm near killing the boss, but it gets healed up, and kills my character, and I have to start again, but not from the boss, no, the whole level.
  2. When I just can't get over a moment.
  3. When I die at a moment where's a savepoint, and than I can't get further in the game, because my character just dies, because it's in the middle of a fight/bulletrain etc. Happened with Metro:Last light :')