• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Minecraft for Windows 10 announced

GlacialDoom

Reaction score
It seems that Microsoft is already starting to use Minecraft as a way to promote their stuff. According to this article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/04/minecraft-windows-10-edition-announced, Mojang has announced at Minecon 2015 that Minecraft will be making the jump to Windows 10. From what I've heard, it will use C++, so no Java, and therefore, no playing with those who own the Java version.

Good news, though: Java Minecraft owners will get a free upgrade, and the title will be on sale for 10 dollars for a limited time. Also, there will be cross-play with Xbox players.

What is everyone's opinion on this (in my opinion unnecessary) "upgrade"?

Guardian

Reaction score
If they add more to the game, then it's a good thing. If it's just a port, then its pointless, and just an attempt at raising awareness again.

GlacialDoom

Reaction score
Well, it seems that most of the rumours were false. Minecraft for Windows 10 will be nothing else but the Pocket Edition (!) ported to PC. This means that there will be no Xbox cross-play, but instead, there will be mobile cross-play (woooow).

overcast

Reaction score
I think Minecraft is now playable on Windows 10. As the OS and the game both are now properly handled in 2017. I guess the news was good at that time for many people to migrate from the console to the PC. It surely added some benefit for the people who wanted to migrate to the new game set from what I know.