• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Laptops or Desktops for gaming?

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I prefer desktops, because a gaming laptop is at least two to three times more expensive then a desktop for the same performance. If you want to buy a $1000 desktop its going to be $2000+ to get the same performance out of a laptop. And worst yet is the heat buildup in a laptop. Every single person I know that has bought a gaming laptop has had overheating problems. And those laptop fans almost never work and your laptop overheats anyway.

m33kuh

Reaction score
I prefer desktops, because a gaming laptop is at least two to three times more expensive then a desktop for the same performance. If you want to buy a $1000 desktop its going to be $2000+ to get the same performance out of a laptop. And worst yet is the heat buildup in a laptop. Every single person I know that has bought a gaming laptop has had overheating problems. And those laptop fans almost never work and your laptop overheats anyway.
But if he also wants mobility, like most of us do, he can always go for a laptop with that amount of budget. If he is not a heavy gamer, he can always go with laptops. There are a lot of gaming laptops or middle range ones who offer good performance but is also cheaper than most of the famous laptops before.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Oh. Yeah had that problem last time about activation codes not working. But I emailed customer support. If you're patient enough you can get your code after, hmm, 1 or 2 weeks. :D
Voice recognition is not available on my device. :'( Probably region restriction. Wanted to be Batman even just for once.
I don't think it's the code's problem, it's the performance for some reason, and I checked memory and all that. No problem. It just lags a small bit. Not enough for PS to be unusable, but it's enough to actually not be consistent when I'm trying to use it. It gives a delayed response of at least .2 seconds, and it may not seem like much but it's annoying when you do it for work.

vennybunny

Reaction score
But if he also wants mobility, like most of us do, he can always go for a laptop with that amount of budget. If he is not a heavy gamer, he can always go with laptops. There are a lot of gaming laptops or middle range ones who offer good performance but is also cheaper than most of the famous laptops before.

As a casual gamer, my laptop has always been enough for my gaming needs. If ultra setting graphics don't matter to you, a laptop will always be better.

Plus, I can play games while in bed. That's priority number one for me.

m33kuh

Reaction score
I don't think it's the code's problem, it's the performance for some reason, and I checked memory and all that. No problem. It just lags a small bit. Not enough for PS to be unusable, but it's enough to actually not be consistent when I'm trying to use it. It gives a delayed response of at least .2 seconds, and it may not seem like much but it's annoying when you do it for work.
Oh. I guess you are using an updated verson of Photoshop. I guess it can run CS3 but having the latest one is far better.

m33kuh

Reaction score
As a casual gamer, my laptop has always been enough for my gaming needs. If ultra setting graphics don't matter to you, a laptop will always be better.

Plus, I can play games while in bed. That's priority number one for me.
Right. The laptop's mobility is the best thing that can ever happen to all laptops. I don't mind ultra graphics for games, medium graphics will do for me. But if given the chance to have an ultra graphics settings, then I'd really hit that. It's not everyday you are given the chance to play The Witcher III in that kind of graphics. >:D

Thundercatte

Reaction score
Laptop PC gamer here, with no overheating problems! :p I get what you're saying though. When it comes to gaming laptops, you're mainly paying for the convenience and portability. You can upgrade your laptop's parts as you would with a desktop compuer, but even then, if you're going to spend that kind of money it may be more efficient in the end to simply build your own PC.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Laptop PC gamer here, with no overheating problems! :p I get what you're saying though. When it comes to gaming laptops, you're mainly paying for the convenience and portability. You can upgrade your laptop's parts as you would with a desktop compuer, but even then, if you're going to spend that kind of money it may be more efficient in the end to simply build your own PC.
Good for you for not having heating problems. We have a laptop here that cost nearly $800 and it still overheats to the point that it has to be elevated and the other CPU/monitor can't be too close because it exudes too much heat. It's annoying too since my PC can do so much more for basically the same price that the laptop cost, and mine has higher specs. And since we just use it in the house, the mobility perk isn't really being used to its full potential.

olaryeankarh

Reaction score
Here's where the advantages of desktops come out trumping that of laptops in 2017. The fact that you can attach, detach, upgrade, expand and do other fun stuff with a desktop is priceless.
I prefer desktops for gaming! Say I want to enjoy full-time gaming, all I need is to replace my monitor and setup a theatre-like hub with every bit of the system unit and stuff carefully arranged for a positively nostalgic experience. The view alone should make me want to play more games xD

kgord

Reaction score
I only have a laptop so I guess I am limited there when it comes to gaming. I think that it is one of the things that I need to come to terms with, that if I game on my laptop there are only so many things I can do, however, I don't worry about it. Gaming isn't end all and be all in life.

sima061

Reaction score
I just noticed that overheating has been mentioned, and I haven't thought of that in my first post on this thread. That also seemed to be a problem on both of the laptops I had.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Here's where the advantages of desktops come out trumping that of laptops in 2017. The fact that you can attach, detach, upgrade, expand and do other fun stuff with a desktop is priceless.
I prefer desktops for gaming! Say I want to enjoy full-time gaming, all I need is to replace my monitor and setup a theatre-like hub with every bit of the system unit and stuff carefully arranged for a positively nostalgic experience. The view alone should make me want to play more games xD
Best part about upgrading is that you can create a Frankenstein CPU with all the old parts you've upgraded. It's my favorite part about it since it's a great feeling when you give a second life to an outdated and obsolete PC part by creating a backup CPU or something. It's still pretty fun messing around with the parts and you can't go wrong since they're basically junk at this point. Might as well try to make them work on another PC.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
Even though the laptop one might be using has high specifications and memory, I really think that the laptop is disposable. Unlike desktop computer, the laptop would cost too much to repair because of specific and rare parts. The hardware cannot even be updated or upgraded, which makes it so that after some time, a laptop will fall behind because of the increasing requirements in specs through time.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
I think laptop gaming can be good if you know what brand and specifications you're looking forever. However, I have and always will favor desktops over laptops for my PC gaming experience. Remember, not all laptops have easily removable parts. You sacrifice mobility by purchasing a desktop, but you gain more customizable options with gameplay and the machine itself.

I did start off on a laptop for my PC gaming needs several years ago. Then graduated to building out my own machine. It does come down to individual choice though.

djdanilo

Reaction score
I would always recommend a desktop for gaming, it has a better performance-price ratio, more space, can be upgraded, etc. I would only use a laptop for gaming, if it was one of those Alienware gaming laptops, but even then I would choose a desktop if it had a better, more powerful configuration.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
I personally prefer a high-performance laptop because I travel a lot, so this is a big advantage for me. I wouldn't mind having a desktop, but a person needs to have priorities :) I do have a PS4 when a game with high demanding graphics is released, I just buy the game for this platform.

tinrmz15

Reaction score
I would prefer gaming desktops because they are more versatile, more hardware space, and greater support for games in terms of 3d and high resolution graphics with lesser lag and ping issues. However, if you are a gamer and usually travels, it can be a problem. You may need to but expensive laptops with great specs (video card, etc.) like Razor, ASUS ROG, Alienware, etc. But the problem would be its weight. In terms of faster navigation and use, desktop would win.

cesarmatute

Reaction score
I always prefer desktop over laptop as it's more customizable. I now there are laptop designed for gaming, but I don't know, I feel more comfortable playing on a desktop. One thing I can't deny, laptops are easier to carry if you want, for example, to go to a friends house to play multiplayer games.

vinaya

Reaction score
when it comes to playing games, the only advantage that a laptop has over desktop is its inbuilt power back up. If there is interruption of the power and you don't have an UPS, you can't play games anymore, however, on a laptop you can play games until you drain the battery. desktop is better for playing games because of its performance level. However, if you play games on a laptop, you can play where ever you want because laptop is portable.

kgord

Reaction score
I never use a desktop so my only experience now is with a laptop. I have used a desktop to game in the past, and it doesn't really make any difference to me as to whether I am using a desktop or a laptop. I am not playing any games that would make a big difference whether I did it on a desktop or laptop. I use the Kindle, and smartphone to play games on as well.