• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Laptops or Desktops for gaming?

WarVet

Reaction score
It's to make the game longer. I hate it too. Want me to beat a boss on the hardest difficulty? Why not. Want me to do a no death run? Sure, I'll try. But to do those find-it quests? No way. GTA San Andreas had it too with those collectibles scattered around the entire map. I only did those once for completion's sake. After that, I never touched those missions ever since it's more tiring than fun going around corners to see if they hid something there.

Strangely enough, some players have the time of their lives with those. I remember Bully had some as well. There is that type of meticulous, perfectionist player that will strive to find every last detail the developers left behind to be found. While I've done it before nowadays I just have better things to do with my time.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Do you play games using the built in keyboard and track pad? In my experience it's a pain to use especially if you've been used to the normal keyboard and mouse. Your wrist always rests on the track pad which moves the pointer all over the screen. I don't know how people who use laptops play with those things. Also I hear the keyboard part overheats and I've even seen people even use oven mitts over while typing because the heat was too much of an inconvenience.
ONE SHOULD NOT GAME USING THE BUILT-INS! Get externals! :D Seriously though, unless you are playing some PvZ or minecrat, get external keyboard and mouse if you are up to some intense gaming such as FPS games or MOBAs.

lordrenly

Reaction score
I have gaming nights at other people places where we kind of do a little parties with snacks and beers and I think laptop is better for that scenario. The specs for modern laptops are also good for gaming as well nowadays. I know it was harder 5 years ago but as long as you are willing to go the extra mile to buy a decent spec gaming laptop, then the versatility I think is a good thing to have.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
ONE SHOULD NOT GAME USING THE BUILT-INS! Get externals! :D Seriously though, unless you are playing some PvZ or minecrat, get external keyboard and mouse if you are up to some intense gaming such as FPS games or MOBAs.
Yep, that's the setup with my brother's laptop. He used to just use the laptop's, but we had an extra mouse and keyboard hanging around so he's currently using them. Pretty old, but it still does a better job than the laptop's own keyboard and mouse.

WarVet

Reaction score
I have gaming nights at other people places where we kind of do a little parties with snacks and beers and I think laptop is better for that scenario. The specs for modern laptops are also good for gaming as well nowadays. I know it was harder 5 years ago but as long as you are willing to go the extra mile to buy a decent spec gaming laptop, then the versatility I think is a good thing to have.

Yeah while desktops will always have a performance superiority some Laptops rank pretty well too. I enjoy gaming nights as well and when my PC was in its prime it did not lose to many of the desktops of the era. Now a couple of years later this old guy isn't what it used to be. Still, with technology evolving every day if you can afford a top notch notebook I bet you wouldn't be disappointed. Most people wouldn't.

Sino989

Reaction score
I can truthfully say that I have owned a very powerful desktop and also a very powerful laptop and even with the powerful laptop games just ran a lot better on the desktop because desktops can be so much more powerful than laptops so I would have to say I prefer desktops. :)

airfightermax

Reaction score
This really depends on your situation. If you are someone that moves a lot, get a laptop with decent specifications on it. If you don't have plans of moving though, I don't see how you would benefit from using a laptop. A desktop is also economically viable as you can upgrade its separate parts while with a laptop, you can't do that.

Laibrown

Reaction score
Clearly I prefer laptop for a very obvious reason it is mobile. But beyond the mobility I also enjoy gaming on pc, because of the graphics and large enough space on the disk to play as many games as possible.

yunken

Reaction score
I prefer laptop to desktop. I can't move around with desktop and because of my love for games I can't leave it behind. I love to play games wherever I'm. So laptop is the answer because I can take it anywhere I want.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Yep, that's the setup with my brother's laptop. He used to just use the laptop's, but we had an extra mouse and keyboard hanging around so he's currently using them. Pretty old, but it still does a better job than the laptop's own keyboard and mouse.
You should make your brother a gaming desktop too. Doesn't have too be a monster build. Maybe an APU would be great for him if he's not into heavy gaming like Farcry or Fallout or the Witcher.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
Definitely desktops. I like the portability of a laptop but they just can't handle AAA games at the moment, most of them throttle due to high temperatures since everything is to tightly connected under the hood. Once they fix that I might give them a shot.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
You should make your brother a gaming desktop too. Doesn't have too be a monster build. Maybe an APU would be great for him if he's not into heavy gaming like Farcry or Fallout or the Witcher.
lmao he doesn't want to let it go since it cost him $600 (it was a package deal with a printer that was useless) and he doesn't want to just store it since he spent all that much. Which is hilarious since it's still slow and can't run newer (2015+) games that are out now. Imagine wasting all that and you can't even upgrade since it's gonna be even more expensive. It also overheats a lot so he can't play for more than a few hours at a time. Money well spent.

peachpurple

Reaction score
Definitely desktop pc for games. You cannot use a laptop to play 3D games because no matter how good is the spec, your laptop will hang the system when the processor gets overheating and the graphic card GB is not sufficient to display the high density of the game required. However with desktop, you can assembled high gadget 3D cards, gaming RAM, huge hard drive and extra cooling fan to reduce the heat. AMD is the best processor for gaming

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
Laptop's only advantage is mobility, and with mobility comes fragile parts to improve the weight. That's why I'd rather stick with the PC. It doesn't go anywhere so there's no risk of it being dropped or bumped, leading you to pay for expensive repair costs, because hey, that one bump and crack on the laptop damaged a lot of things inside because they wanted it to be compact, so they stuck all the important parts next to each other. Never a good idea if you ask me.
I think the same as you, man! I don't like it either, the best is to buy a good CPU or the parts to make a good one and use it to play, but using a gaming laptop can cost you a lot more and it will not have the same performance as a Desktop PC.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I think the same as you, man! I don't like it either, the best is to buy a good CPU or the parts to make a good one and use it to play, but using a gaming laptop can cost you a lot more and it will not have the same performance as a Desktop PC.
Yup. I'll only consider getting one if I ever travel around constantly and I wouldn't have a place to set up my PC, or dragging my PC around the country while traveling would be a pain. If I don't have to stay in one place for a long time, I'll stick with a laptop and only then. But if I am ever in that scenario, odds are I'd probably do it for work or vacation, and since I'm in a different place every time, the priorities change from playing games in your house to actually enjoying what you are doing. With that I'll probably be only playing games sporadically so a gaming laptop would still be a waste.

m33kuh

Reaction score
lmao he doesn't want to let it go since it cost him $600 (it was a package deal with a printer that was useless) and he doesn't want to just store it since he spent all that much. Which is hilarious since it's still slow and can't run newer (2015+) games that are out now. Imagine wasting all that and you can't even upgrade since it's gonna be even more expensive. It also overheats a lot so he can't play for more than a few hours at a time. Money well spent.
I would do the same though. How about upgrading the parts instead? Probably put more ram sticks on it?
If it's running an i3 or i5 core processor then it should be upgradable. And with a little tweak.
Try upgrading the OS to windows 10. Makes laptops slow run faster. Lol

whatareyou420

Reaction score
While a desktop is always going to be better for gaming, I think it helps that things like Thunderbold have helped in that area due to its allowance of users to hook up an external graphics card.

rockandgreen

Reaction score
I prefer desktops due to their, on average, greater processing power, storage capacity, RAM and specs. I also like to play on Desktop due to the ease of control over laptops, having a proper mouse is better than a mousepad for most of the games I play (even though I know laptops can have a feature where an external mouse is plugged into a USB port, I even use this with my laptop, I still prefer the mouse that comes with a Desktop as it doesn't take up a port).

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I would do the same though. How about upgrading the parts instead? Probably put more ram sticks on it?
If it's running an i3 or i5 core processor then it should be upgradable. And with a little tweak.
Try upgrading the OS to windows 10. Makes laptops slow run faster. Lol
He upgraded it to Windows 10 a few weeks back and it seems like it didn't do much. He upgraded the same time I did and my Photoshop program seemed to have gotten slower for some reason. Can't think of any but since I have it installed I just live with it. Too lazy to reinstall and my serial codes may not work now since I got them back in 2015. Windows 10 is great though; the voice recognition thing is fun and I feel like Tony Stark when using it. You just know simply clicking what you want is faster and more convenient, but it's more fun to have your voice activate a program with a command.

m33kuh

Reaction score
He upgraded it to Windows 10 a few weeks back and it seems like it didn't do much. He upgraded the same time I did and my Photoshop program seemed to have gotten slower for some reason. Can't think of any but since I have it installed I just live with it. Too lazy to reinstall and my serial codes may not work now since I got them back in 2015. Windows 10 is great though; the voice recognition thing is fun and I feel like Tony Stark when using it. You just know simply clicking what you want is faster and more convenient, but it's more fun to have your voice activate a program with a command.
Oh. Yeah had that problem last time about activation codes not working. But I emailed customer support. If you're patient enough you can get your code after, hmm, 1 or 2 weeks. :D
Voice recognition is not available on my device. :'( Probably region restriction. Wanted to be Batman even just for once.