• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Laptops or Desktops for gaming?

Hidden308

Reaction score
Which do you prefer for gaming?

I prefer desktops. Better hardware, more space, more efficient.

lexcion

Reaction score
Well obviously desktops are much better for gaming than laptops. Laptops are mainly for portability and ease of access with gaming being more of a secondary purpose. The downside of a desktop is that you can't move it at all so if you're travelling somewhere you can't bring your entire PC and monitor with you and instead bring a slightly less performance but portable laptop.

kenoobie

Reaction score
Desktops for gaming. The issue I have with laptops for gaming is that they get pretty hot when the game hits a resource intensive area. I could feel the heat on my palm and that makes for an uncomfortable experience.

missionreport

Reaction score
To be fair, let us say you can get a gaming laptop that has the same power with a desktop. Still you will have to settle with a smaller screen. I can get a 50 inch monitor for my desktop and your gaming laptop's can't top that. Besides, how can you possibly upgrade your laptop's processor and gpus.

Sino989

Reaction score
I agree with you, the more power you have the better gaming experience you are going to have.

Pixie06

Reaction score
I prefer to use the desktop. I guess it is because I am more used to it and I have always been playing games on the desktop. The problem with laptop is that the power gets used up very quickly and also my laptop tends to overheat very quickly. Desktop is the best.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I think the answer is pretty obvious. PC if you are just at home; but if you are on the road a lot, then a laptop (a really good one) will really make the long train rides or bus commutes manageable and tolerable. It's all about the specs of the machine, to be honest. You can have a laptop that can play new AAA games and I won't condemn you for it. On the other hand, you can't brag about having a PC to play games when it can't even run games from 2010 properly. It's all about the rig.

msyukionna

Reaction score
Dollar to dollar, you would get more gaming power on a Desktop than on a Laptop. You would pay a lot more for the same level of hardware for a decent laptop. If comparing just the specs, desktop is long lasting, easy to upgrade and expand, cheaper to fix.

Another problem that I've found with laptops is overheating. Laptops with high graphic processing tend to not have a fan or cooling system strong enough to cope with the heat. My laptop had to get a new fan twice in its lifespan, mainly due to my work in 3D modelling. Only consider a laptop if portability is key for your work or gaming.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Dollar to dollar, you would get more gaming power on a Desktop than on a Laptop. You would pay a lot more for the same level of hardware for a decent laptop. If comparing just the specs, desktop is long lasting, easy to upgrade and expand, cheaper to fix.

Another problem that I've found with laptops is overheating. Laptops with high graphic processing tend to not have a fan or cooling system strong enough to cope with the heat. My laptop had to get a new fan twice in its lifespan, mainly due to my work in 3D modelling. Only consider a laptop if portability is key for your work or gaming.
Yup, most people who are thinking of getting a laptop fail to consider the heat that a laptop gives out, especially when playing games. Heck, even when just browsing the internet, your laptop will still put out a lot of heat for such a small device. It can be an inconvenience since you can't put it in your lap for a long time, and you have to get some sort of ventilation for the fan to help out with the cooling.

valy

Reaction score
My favorite is my PC, because my desktop is larger than my laptop screen and the sound is higher beacuse i am using a subwoofer system. Still, I do use my laptop when I am traveling or sometimes i even play games on my phone, this just depends on my location! But my favorite device that i prefer to play games is my PC!

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Unlike console gaming, PC gaming is all about power, not portability. Desktops are clearly superior. (Even though, well, I only game on my laptop. If it's light gaming you're aiming at, maybe a desktop would be excessive)
I mean, even the prices speak for themselves. Just look at MSI gaming laptops and their 1000$+ price tags. You could get one hell of a gaming rig with that money.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
My favorite is my PC, because my desktop is larger than my laptop screen and the sound is higher beacuse i am using a subwoofer system. Still, I do use my laptop when I am traveling or sometimes i even play games on my phone, this just depends on my location! But my favorite device that i prefer to play games is my PC!
At the end of the day it's about the size of the screen. Can't really appreciate graphics when you don't see most of the action because the laptop's monitor is so damn small. Laptops also overheat and does not have the right cooling system for long term gaming, and the track pad is horrendous for PC users; but at the end of the day, it's just too damn small.

m33kuh

Reaction score
This is all subjective. If you have lots of money and you want to play on the go, get a monster gaming laptop. There are loads of them now and are competing in the market.

For me personally, I'm more into PC gaming. I like to have my own battle station where I can release my true powah :p when I'm alone. I play multiplayer games so I want to have privacy thus having a battle station is my choice. And also, you can upgrade easily the parts of your desktop with less hassle.

PC MASTER RACE BABY! :D

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Laptop for me, im not a heavy gamer as i used to so i prefer everything built in. Plus it's versitile, i can bring it anywhere I want and it's compact.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
This is all subjective. If you have lots of money and you want to play on the go, get a monster gaming laptop. There are loads of them now and are competing in the market.

For me personally, I'm more into PC gaming. I like to have my own battle station where I can release my true powah :p when I'm alone. I play multiplayer games so I want to have privacy thus having a battle station is my choice. And also, you can upgrade easily the parts of your desktop with less hassle.

PC MASTER RACE BABY! :D
Most "monster gaming laptops" have terrible ventilation and cooling systems though. You can cook an egg on the touch pad 10 minutes into running a game. People actually use an oven mitt to protect their hands when they are using either the keyboard or the pad. If that doesn't say everything you need to know about the problem with laptops, I don't know what else to say. I agree, PC is the complete package, and I'd rather have a decent PC over an overpriced overheating laptop any day.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Most "monster gaming laptops" have terrible ventilation and cooling systems though. You can cook an egg on the touch pad 10 minutes into running a game. People actually use an oven mitt to protect their hands when they are using either the keyboard or the pad. If that doesn't say everything you need to know about the problem with laptops, I don't know what else to say. I agree, PC is the complete package, and I'd rather have a decent PC over an overpriced overheating laptop any day.
True. That's one of the downside of using a laptop for gaming, even if it's a gaming laptop there is always be a problem like overheating. The ventilation is just so poor that as what you have said, you can literally cook an egg with it. :p

TheArticulate

Reaction score
I would think PC would be the obvious answer in most cases here. Not only in terms of power for price, but also because I don't to have video games readily available for me everywhere I go. I'll save my gaming for when I'm home in the evening to destress, I don't need to be able to play on the go or while I'm at work or anything like that.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
Well, in my opinion I think that the laptops can get overheated really quick and they don't have some things that a desktop PC could have, and if a laptop have those things it will be very, very annoying having all the wires and other things over you.

ZXD22

Reaction score
Yes PC totally for gaming. I have spent $1,000 on my HP Envy and about $2,500 dollars on hand building my own PC rig and there is a major difference between the two. My laptop has the one of the fastest around for laptops and my desktop has the fastest as well for desktops, but it performs significantly faster. Also thing that stinks about my laptop is that there is no dedicated GPU installed so it has to use Intel Graphics 5200. Bummer.

dero56

Reaction score
Hands down if you're not moving the machine around, get a gaming desktop. Much cheaper and you have the ability to upgrade in the future. In the past spent over $1000 for a laptop that could play games on medium but quickly became obsolete. After that built myself a gaming desktop for $800 that could play all my games on high and it still does now but if I want more power, I just need to upgrade the video card since I already have a decent CPU, ram and PSU in the system.