• Game Rebels: The site that rewards you for posting
  • Join The Awesome ARK Server!

Island PVE (Official Rates x2) by Vurh.Club
    Join ARK Server! Join ARK Discord!
  • The Game Shop V2!

A Complete revamp! Hundreds of FREE games, now available!
    Shop Now!
  • Game Rebels Community

Welcome to this awesome gaming forum
    Register Now
  • Earn Points to Buy Games!

The more you post, the more you earn
    Learn More

Java Or C#, Which Is Better For Game Developement

Discussion in 'Coders Paradise' started by Decypher, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Decypher

Decypher New Member

As a coder who is prolific in scripting languages( ruby and python.), and as a game enthusiastic, who wants to go into game development. What language do you suggest i learn to be able to create good games.
    Java or C#, I heard that Java can't be used ton create games for windows OS, please how true is that, and also C# can be used to develop games for both Java and C#.
    So gurus and dev-guys in the house, please what language do you suggest i learn.
    PS: I don't mean to start any WW3 here on which language is better, please just suggestions and opinions thanks

2. Siberian

Siberian Member

I would learn Lua instead. Many newer games use Lua because it's easier to use and leaves more things open to you. But if it's between Java and C#, why not both? Learn them both and see which one you like best for creating games. C# is newer than Java and easier to use but between those two, it's mostly down to preference I feel.

3. Decypher

Decypher New Member

Thanks for your input, will give a look at Lua

4. Jog

Jog Active Member Community Supervisor

Neither are really good for dedicated games nowadays.

Java is good as a application creator letting you make small things like calculators, and anything mathematical (I find java to be very number oriented). As for C++/C# those are great for some further game development into the game world (for example Minecraft servers use C++/C# to code into their files).

As @Siberian mentioned LUA is one of the top languages for games right now. Garry's Mod servers which GameRebels runs is based off the LUA programming language so I would highly recommend it. It is a bit different from the status quo of languages (Python, Java) but is easy to learn.

5. Decypher

Decypher New Member

Thanks, I 'ave already started glancing through the language, very soon i will dive into it. it's a really cool language

Jog likes this.
  6. Fuzyon

Fuzyon New Member

If I had to choose between the two I would probably choose Java. The syntax is much simpler and you have many options for future development since you can also delve into mobile games.

7. Jog

Jog Active Member Community Supervisor

That is one thing I forgot to ask, what is your primary game focus mobile or computer/console as Java is probably most used for mobile games and applications.

I was thinking of like the usage for normal games (eg computer games on a medium like steam)