• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Is it even worth playing?

Bremaine

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of interesting things about DayZ and how it's mostly people killing other people and stealing their items. I was wondering if that is true? I normally would give a cool game like this a shot, but when all I hear about it is that it's nothing but people killing each other because they fear they would be killed. I like to play in groups myself, but if I can never get to a group, what would be the point?

I guess it makes sense though, in this sort of world I imagine people would be having a very hard time trusting others, but I doubt I'd be able to get into it like everyone else.

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
It all depends.
The DayZ Mod for ARMA II, you'll have bandits left, right and centre. Whereas the Standalone people are a lot friendlier, but that gets ignored by the fact there's tonnes of bugs in the SA hence why people stick with the mod for now.

mauricioq

Reaction score
I don't usually buy this type of games, I mean Dayz is still in Beta but I tried it on my friends account and loved it right away. If you like progressing as character and surviving a very difficult ambient, you'll definitely love this game.

Morvack

Reaction score
I would say mod or standalone, dayz is worth giving a shot to. There's something exciting about knowing you may be killed any moment. The truth is, a majority of players are friendly in dayz. Mod or stand alone. I guess you could call me a bandit, but bandits need friends. I would happily take a new person (typically called bambis), under my wing. You have to be a friendly bandit if you really want to enjoy dayz. If you are on the right server, it is pretty easy to draft a group. Typically if your character spawns in with a radio, then that server has a group system of some sort. There are also clan systems. I personally play on dystopia servers, which last time I checked, had all of the above. It is not hard to find other players to play with. The only thing I'd really give for advice is to get dayz commander. I can't live as a dayz mod player without it.

Last edited:

fjellse

Reaction score
You have to be comfortable with how unfinished and in-progress the game is. It is in early development in the truest sense.

It can be very enjoyable if the principles behind the game appeal to you. Those being survival, random encounters with individuals who may or may not have your best interests in mind, to put it mildly, and exploration.

It's a brutal, unforgiving game, and you really have to come to terms with that fact or you won't last long.

With all that said, there are people who have put thousands of hours into it, and they will probably put thousands more. There is definitely something to the game..

Again, if the concepts behind the game appeal to you, it may be worth a shot.

megatop

Reaction score
DayZ is a game with bandits tracking you down from spawn. To survive you have to always move and have enough supplies to last for days. It is worth playing because it is fun but when you have everything it starts to get boring. Otherwise it a fun happy game.

krab007

Reaction score
It's clunky, the zombies are broken, and it's feature lite when compared to the original mod and it's many children.

If you have Arma 2 or 3 I'd recommend the DayZ or Breaking Point mods first. I've had much more fun with them.

Bradley

Reaction score
It's fun if you can deal with the bugs.
If you're impatient I wouldn't recommend buying it.

RivaCom

Reaction score
Even with thebugs, the game is a blast. I think you have to remember that, this isn't the mod of Dayz, this is a completely different game.

Brandon

Admin
Administrator
Premium
Reaction score
Its a fun game and you'll have funny moments with the bugs

Maelalove

Reaction score
I'm going to say similar to everyone else. If you can deal with the bugs...
Honestly, it seems small, but for some people, things like that can be huge. I personally feel like bugs just get too annoying at some point in time, and it's enough to make me eventually stop playing a game. It just becomes a hassle. And considering how long the developers have had to fix some of these things, it seems like nothing is changing. So I'd get frustrated. Ultimately, it's up to you.

Atropia

Reaction score
To me, with SA's current development pace, I have sadly given up on believing that their game will turn around for the better because it is still the same boring game. Rather go back to the mod and play BP or Taloa. Anyways, will have to move on eventually.

MolyneuxLies

Reaction score
Honestly, no. I'm not sure what's going on with the developers, but they don't seem to care much for their work anymore. They're missing deadlines en masse and haven't squashed many of the most egregious, long standing bugs. You'd be better off getting Arma 2 or 3 and finding a better mod for those.

Referal

Reaction score
Dayz is a fun game but it depends on person to person and their likes of this game or any game I would say it isn't worth playing such a game its very slow and pointless but its only me.

FatManX

Reaction score
DayZ is an awesome game! Due to the It's realism and the fact that the price of a mistake is high (if you die you lose everything you spent hours to get) you really feal the pressure. As for the people not trusting each other, that's just part of the realism. If you were in the middle of a zombie apocalypse I bet you wouldn't just trust any random guy who claimed to be your friend. However, if you like to play in groups the best option you have is to gather enough real life friends and convince them to play with you.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I own the standalone version and I haven't touched it in probably a year and a half. Have there been any changes as I would love to play it again soon?

Miles Lucas

Reaction score
I guess to really like DayZ, you would have to like the 'gearing up' aspect of it more than the 'get on the ground' aspect of it.

What I'm trying to say is that if you gear up for two days straight don't be surprised if you get killed by someone on top of a mountain with a sniper because its more than likely your first interaction with someone will be with a bullet.

Although if you like role play you can always apply for DayZ RP. They have an amazing community and there are rules that make it to where you have to have interaction or you will be punished or banned.

Ipa07

Reaction score
I never played the game but I watch a lot of it on Twitch. I really like the concept of the game, it looks fun. I think I will buy the game this summer.

Deen

Reaction score
Looks like DayZ is getting back to those times when there weren't too much gamebreaking bugs (around 1 year ago). I would wait untill 0.61 gets vehicles. If there won't be any serious bugs, that's gonna be worth it, I suppose. For download it's around 12 GB (not too sure :p).

valy

Reaction score
Yes this is true, people are kiling each other for items. I have tried to play it few years ago but it was a waste of time. You can choose human mercenary forces or to be a zombie. The members of the game are not fair with you if you start to play this game, my advice is to look for another game to play, an example would be: dead frontier, or Rust.