• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Indie games

RosieDaven

Reaction score
Recently I've started playing with indie games a lot, and what are your opinions on it? Can you recommend me one or two?

My favorite ones are indie-horrors, like Ib. Ib is a short but enjoyable game, with a story about a girl, loveable characters. It was made with rpg-maker, and still it was really good. It's also free, but I wouldn't mind paying if that was the case.

latest

kgord

Reaction score
I haven't heard of Indie games before. It sounds like a new and interesting category. I might want to explore that category at some point in time. It seems like there is a lot of potential in that area. I think it is one of the things worth exploring.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
On those days you can find seriously a lot of indie games that are even better than most AAA games! If you like simple horror games, I'll suggest to check out Home and Lone Survivor. They rely more on atmosphere than actual jumpscare, and the graphic is super simple, but they are also pretty good.
And well, Five Nights at Freddy's might have a bad fanbase but it's not a bad game after all.

RosieDaven

Reaction score
On those days you can find seriously a lot of indie games that are even better than most AAA games! If you like simple horror games, I'll suggest to check out Home and Lone Survivor. They rely more on atmosphere than actual jumpscare, and the graphic is super simple, but they are also pretty good.
And well, Five Nights at Freddy's might have a bad fanbase but it's not a bad game after all.
Thank you for the recommendations!
I'm gonna check out Home and the Lone survivor.
I know about five night's, though I only watched playthroughs as I'm not that interested in playing it myself. But, nevertheless, it's interesting, how big its fanbase is, and how many games it inspired. I especially loved Joy of creation, it was sooooo good, but so short.

JoeMilford

Reaction score
Recently I've started playing with indie games a lot, and what are your opinions on it? Can you recommend me one or two?

My favorite ones are indie-horrors, like Ib. Ib is a short but enjoyable game, with a story about a girl, loveable characters. It was made with rpg-maker, and still it was really good. It's also free, but I wouldn't mind paying if that was the case.

latest
What great indie games can you recommend? I'd really be interested in experimenting with some of these. I love RPG's, so could you suggest some games along those lines?

WarVet

Reaction score
What great indie games can you recommend? I'd really be interested in experimenting with some of these. I love RPG's, so could you suggest some games along those lines?
There are some great games indeed! Have you ever heard about Stardew Valley? If you liked Harvest Moon you'll love it!

Frank

Reaction score
Had a period where my graphics card just wasn't up to standard of modern gaming so I sorta had to 'settle' on indie games. I have to say that puzzle platformers like Braid and Swapper really blew me away. If you're into that sorta game, it's a must play. As far as RPG's go, I've heard good things about Undertale, although the art style just doesn't appeal to me and I've heard that a lot of people have found it difficult to get into as well.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
Someone else already mentioned Stardew Valley, which I think is a great game to add to your Steam library if you haven't already. Other than that, I highly recommend FEZ, Risk of Rain, and Papers, Please. Give the Indie section on Steam a look-through, too. I'm sure you can find a ton of stuff that'll pique your interest that way!

Xilkozuf

Reaction score

There are quite a few indie RPG that are pretty good, but I don't know what kind of RPG you like the most: JRPG or WRPG?
Anyway, a good rpg-rogulike game that is pretty hard is Dungeon of Dredmor. The levels are randomly generated and you pick a set of skills at the beginning of each session (because if you die, it's over!). Lots and lots of variety.
A good rpg created with Rpg Maker (there are many many many, but a very few are good) is Cthulhu saves the world. It's short, it's funny, it's nice.
Or, if you like something more japanese and more action driven, you could try Recettear (where you mainly run a item shop businnes, but there are also action rpg parts) and Chantelise, which is more traditional action rpg.

overcast

Reaction score
I can't recommend anything specific. But I'd suggest you should check out the indie game humble bundle. Those games are definitely helping towards the indie gaming community. And needless to say that they have some really good games. You may not regret spending dollar or two buying each one through them. I think those games are reasonable.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Humble Bundle is pretty good but it's not just indie anymore, so even if you can get a lot of good games for an extremely low prices, they don't really belong here.
The first ones, during their first years and months, were pretty good and amazing since they allowed a lot of good indie games to get popular. Nowadays it's just a method to grab a bunch of games for a low price - not that I'm complaining.

reginafalange

Reaction score
I check the indie section pretty often but I have never found something that would interest me with the description, trailers or screenshots. I don't know, most of those games seem cheap but I could try playing some to see what they are like really.

ballyhara

Reaction score
Actually, not a fan on indie games, but my cousins on the other hand play anything that cross their lives. I'm not quite sure they are still into it, but they play a game named Braid. Seriously, that one looks pretty similar to Super Mario Bros, the tricky part is that this game has some time puzzles you have to go through, and not the easiest ones btw. According to my cousins this is a really good indie game, try to check it out and make your own impression.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
This is a field that I am still starting to explore because I still don't have much knowledge about it. But what I know so far has left me excited to know more about this world. :oof:

I check the indie section pretty often but I have never found something that would interest me with the description, trailers or screenshots. I don't know, most of those games seem cheap but I could try playing some to see what they are like really.

Can you tell me where do you usually look for information on these types of games? I would like to know more about that.

I can't recommend anything specific. But I'd suggest you should check out the indie game humble bundle. Those games are definitely helping towards the indie gaming community. And needless to say that they have some really good games. You may not regret spending dollar or two buying each one through them. I think those games are reasonable.

I had never heard of it before I read your comment. But thanks for the recommendation. I'm gonna check it later and see if I like it or not. :sweatsmile:

I haven't heard of Indie games before. It sounds like a new and interesting category. I might want to explore that category at some point in time. It seems like there is a lot of potential in that area. I think it is one of the things worth exploring.

Besides being a new and interesting category, seems to me to be relatively wide in its diversity of options (which is a very good thing :smile:). I think this is great for anyone who is beginning to know this world. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

kgord

Reaction score
Yes, lots of options are always great for those who want to explore new worlds. It sounds like a category that many people would be interested in, newbies to gaming and those just looking for a challenge. I would be all for it.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
Yes, lots of options are always great for those who want to explore new worlds. It sounds like a category that many people would be interested in, newbies to gaming and those just looking for a challenge. I would be all for it.

Speaking as a newbie in this world, I can tell you one thing: This category of games should be better known because there are many good games hidden. :smiley:

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Shovel Knight is one of the best Indy games ever made! It comes with three different campaigns and a hard mode as well. The story is very charming, the cast of characters memorable, and the music is as good as any classic Capcom chip-tunes from the SNES days. Another good one you've probably already heard about is Undertale. It's incredibly quirky. It follows in the spiritual path of games like Earthbound, relying on wacky humor to balance out oddly deep narrative themes.

RosieDaven

Reaction score
Oh thanks for asking :D

I recommend this page: http://www.vgperson.com/games/ Especially the horror section. Witch's house, Ib, Mad Father was my faves. Each has a unique story, and a nice gore-ish kink to it. As I was told these are horror-indie games, but honestly as others said before me, indie sometimes has a way too big range of what it can be. :') If you're gonna like these games, I can also recommend corpse party.

With much better graphics (as I am an enjoyer of eyegasm), and a very different style of gameplay and story, I can recommend "What remains of Edith Finch". It's a linear story, there's not much to do except finding things and carry on, as it wants to tell a story. Still, how the creators conveyed the deaths of the people in it was artistic.

P.s.: Thanks for everyone the recommendations and the nice comments. :) I've got games to play :D

giovanniiiii

Reaction score

latest

Ib wasn't much of a horror game for me. I like the story and its setting. The art style fit the atmosphere. It feels simply made but it's eerie in a way. I have played Mad Father, The Seven Mysteries, Misao, and Witch's House. The one that scared me the most was Witch's House. The final moments and scenes of the game was what made it as the scariest game for me among the RPG horror games I have played.

Although the scariest indie horror game for me was imscared: A Pixelated Nightmare. There is no introduction at the beginning although there are guides for the controls in the first area.

ballyhara

Reaction score
Speaking as a newbie in this world, I can tell you one thing: This category of games should be better known because there are many good games hidden. :smiley:
I'm a full newbie on Indie ones, the only one I know is the one I mention, Braid, and that's because my cousins play everything they find seriously! Can you recommend any other Indie for newbies? I have the idea that if I choose a very weird one, then I will have a wrong impression with these games.