• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Idle/Clicker games

PSyCHoHaMSTeRza

Reaction score
So, I guess everyone has noticed this trend of idle and clicker games becoming popular right? Clicker Heroes, AdVenture Capitalist, Sakura Clicker... I wanted to know if anyone else here is playing these games?

Personally, I used to play Clicker Heroes and AdVenture Capitalist, But these days I play Crusaders of the Lost Idols. Fun game, it is probably the most interactive idle game I have ever seen. (Though I guess that doesn't make it very idle now does it XD )

Honeymoon

Reaction score
Bless Cookie Clicker for starting this trend.

But yes, I too, have fallen victim to the addicting nature of clicker games. According to my Steam profile, I've spent a whooping 490 hours on Clicker Heroes.. and then another 445 hours on this game called Time Clickers. And another 8.7 hours on Adventure Capitalist. That adds up to roughly 944 hours in total, which is 39.3 days. So basically a month and a week. Wow. I love how I'm basically just telling you guys how much life I don't have. Congratulations, me.

God, I love myself.

But I haven't heard of Crusaders of the Lost Idols. It sounds fun, I'll look it up on Steam soon. Hope it's not another Idol/Ancient-based clicker game like Clicker Heroes though. After spending literally three weeks playing a game with that system, I think I've had enough of that system for a while.. or for an eternity, actually. Literally no thank you. I'm also hoping that it's free because I'm not paying for a game where you have to break your mouse to win.

Kaitara

Reaction score
I haven't played much of these kind of games. I only played Cookie Clicker and though it was kind of a silly novelty thing, but without any real substance it didn't manage to hold my interest. I have a friend who is ALWAYS playing AdVenture Capitalist on Steam. I thought because he was playing so much it must be a really tedious and involved game, but it's only a clicker game?

So my question is: What is the appeal of these kinds of games? Why are they fun to you? Is it just the satisfaction of meeting a goal or it is something else?

aliangel3499

Reaction score
I haven't played much of these kind of games. I only played Cookie Clicker and though it was kind of a silly novelty thing, but without any real substance it didn't manage to hold my interest. I have a friend who is ALWAYS playing AdVenture Capitalist on Steam. I thought because he was playing so much it must be a really tedious and involved game, but it's only a clicker game?

So my question is: What is the appeal of these kinds of games? Why are they fun to you? Is it just the satisfaction of meeting a goal or it is something else?
Clicker games don't really interest me, but I tend to get frustrated when I can't reach a relatively easy goal. Therefore, I'll end up wasting a lot of time in order to reach the goal. The music that they play is also really good at boosting energy which can make a person more likely to play the game.

Squigly

Reaction score
I played Clicker Heroes for a good few weeks before realising the pointlessness of it all. There is certainly an addicting quality to these games, you just want to see the numbers grow exponentially higher and higher.

Adel.S

Reaction score
I fail to see how people enjoy these types of games, sorry if I made it sound harsh. The concept of the games revolves around clicking, getting points, and then upgrading or buying new stuff. There is little to no thinking about it since I can't see a thoughtful process behind it. But I guess that some people seem to enjoy it for various reasons as @aliangel3499 stated.

appleandcinnamon

Reaction score
Definitely Cookie Clicker. I still don't understand why I was so obsessed with it -- going as far as to scour forums to look for cheats and hacks to automate the clicking. I guess all I wanted to know was if there was really a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I really wanted to see if there was an endgame to the whole thing.