• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

I BUILT MY OWN COMPUTER TO PLAY GARRYS MOD.

Sir Murlock

Reaction score
So, i have exams. Because of exams me parents remove my computer, and to be honest its a good idea.

*RIP SHARK (Name of computer was shark)*

I will miss its GTX960 and its 16 gigs of holy RAM.

Anyways, i have a old computer from like 2001, i dont have a pic because Im at school, but here is what it kinda looks like:
photo1-vend-pc-et-accessoires-annee-2001-bon-etat-1-ax3x6x7w764224.jpg

The case is white, it has half a gig of ram, and some old no idea what brand CPU / motherboard. Fucking 250 hard drive thats like 100% Damaged with windows vista.

So, i made it my duty to make this machine into a fucking beast. Run garrys mod, play with the 27th, and get Es on all me exams by not doing any study. I am not addicted.

Made a list of what i needed to do:

1. Remove the cancer (e.g windows vista) and install windows 7.

2. Get a SSD (with install of windows 7)

3. Boot it up and pray.

So, i found a edgy AF download of windows 7 from the internet. It works, but i have a feeling its like a fucking viruse and its out to attack me at any time.

I buy a SSD (250) for 50 CI. CI is Cayman Islands Moeny:
page0_blog_entry86_1.jpg

I will now remove the edgy font because fuck it.

Nm, now, I boot it up. I install windows 7. IT FUCKING WORKS.

So, i make a account, and I now have a windows 7 machine with a fast SSD.

I install steam, install garrys mod, but... Garry's mod cant launch. Reason?
no graphics card but a old AF mother board

I know my friend at school has a old 740, so, i say, can i pos borrow it to him. He says, 50 CI. fuck, i spent all on ssd.

I beg my mother, who eventually gave in. fuck yes

I get the 740, i put it in.

IT WORKS. GMOD LAUNCHES. I JOIN THE WARHAMMER SERVER AFTER 2 DAYS OF DOWNLOADS!

#FUCK YES

However, my mum finds out. She says this, I can only play 1 hour, because what i did was fucking amazing she let me play on it.

I get 10fps on warhammer server, im now a cook in the 27th.

I did it.

napoleon-dynamite.jpg

Sir Murlock

Reaction score
I...Uhh...Who're you?

I am:

Luitenet Murlock

Lord General Murlock

Gunnery Seargent Murlock

Battle Brother Murlock

Chapter Master Murlock

Sir Colonel Murlock Cadi

And now:

27th Cook Murlock.

I am well known + or - on the Warhammer server. Used to be Admin and Gamemaster, but, like i said, im on leave due to exams.

Trisha Demilion™

Reaction score
I am:

Luitenet Murlock

Lord General Murlock

Gunnery Seargent Murlock

Battle Brother Murlock

Chapter Master Murlock

Sir Colonel Murlock Cadi

And now:

27th Cook Murlock.

I am well known + or - on the Warhammer server. Used to be Admin and Gamemaster, but, like i said, im on leave due to exams.

hm.

Still dunno you.

Blasty

Premium Member
Premium
Reaction score
When said Warhammer, You further Confirmed that Not many people know you...

McCain

Reaction score
You never said you replaced/added more RAM (GLORIOUS RAM), yet you have Windows 7 running...Windows 7 requires 1 GB of ram to run, yet according to this you still have half a gig.

Murlock I demand a consistent story, how do you expect me to sleep soundly with this?

Major Stern

WH Server Moderator
Reaction score
Connections Murlock connections

Lol m6 PC probably isn't as good as that

Sir Murlock

Reaction score
You never said you replaced/added more RAM (GLORIOUS RAM), yet you have Windows 7 running...Windows 7 requires 1 GB of ram to run, yet according to this you still have half a gig.

Murlock I demand a consistent story, how do you expect me to sleep soundly with this?

I dunno xD, maybe i dont have half a gig lol.

Cнroмα

Reaction score
I was bored and I have this old Panasonic Toughbook T8 and tried booting it up. Here is a pic of what it looks like.
toughbook-t8.jpg

After a long time of trying to get it to start, I found out it has windows and a password on it. Judging by the fact I havent used this computer in years, everything is lost on it. So I took a Linux install disk and put Ubuntu on there, and after around 2 days of installing the OS, it finally booted. This computer either has a very low powered graphics card or none at all.

While in the computer I was installing the drivers, everything was working just fine (besides from the random freezes when I tab out of the browser). When the computer crashed after opening chrome, I thought to myself: "I should try and play a game on here". I asked a friend who was sitting next to me at the time (who was extremely doubting me) and he said "Try and run Minecraft." That was my new goal.

After about 20 minutes of downloading stuff, I managed to get Java installed, and have the minecraft jar file on my desktop. I launched it, and hoped.

To my surprise, the game launched in around 3-4 seconds (on Minecraft 1.2.5). I realized this is too good to be true, so I loaded into single player. First try, it almost crashed, second try, I was in. Average 15 FPS looking down, 30 looking up.

After telling my friend this, he was shocked. I said to him that I am going to try and run the latest version of Minecraft (that of which he could not even run on his laptop which was at least 6 years newer than this one) and he simply laughed. Challenge accepted...

I loaded up minecraft 1.8.8 (current version at the time) and loaded up the most intense world generator (It even says for the high end computers). After loading in, I got a grand total of 10 FPS.

After that we left the class, and I no longer underestimate the power of old tech.

Trisha Demilion™

Reaction score
I was bored and I have this old Panasonic Toughbook T8 and tried booting it up. Here is a pic of what it looks like.
toughbook-t8.jpg

After a long time of trying to get it to start, I found out it has windows and a password on it. Judging by the fact I havent used this computer in years, everything is lost on it. So I took a Linux install disk and put Ubuntu on there, and after around 2 days of installing the OS, it finally booted. This computer either has a very low powered graphics card or none at all.

While in the computer I was installing the drivers, everything was working just fine (besides from the random freezes when I tab out of the browser). When the computer crashed after opening chrome, I thought to myself: "I should try and play a game on here". I asked a friend who was sitting next to me at the time (who was extremely doubting me) and he said "Try and run Minecraft." That was my new goal.

After about 20 minutes of downloading stuff, I managed to get Java installed, and have the minecraft jar file on my desktop. I launched it, and hoped.

To my surprise, the game launched in around 3-4 seconds (on Minecraft 1.2.5). I realized this is too good to be true, so I loaded into single player. First try, it almost crashed, second try, I was in. Average 15 FPS looking down, 30 looking up.

After telling my friend this, he was shocked. I said to him that I am going to try and run the latest version of Minecraft (that of which he could not even run on his laptop which was at least 6 years newer than this one) and he simply laughed. Challenge accepted...

I loaded up minecraft 1.8.8 (current version at the time) and loaded up the most intense world generator (It even says for the high end computers). After loading in, I got a grand total of 10 FPS.

After that we left the class, and I no longer underestimate the power of old tech.

Just think if you beefed that computer up, it would be better than my computer tower o.o