• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How to overcome gaming addiction?

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
Step 1. - Get a Life
Step 2. - Repeat step 1 :tearsofjoy:

Just kidding! Well, I am, but I'm also not. No matter how infatuated or passionate you are about gaming. You should always have other things that fill up your life as well. Having a job and working is one thing. But learn to develop and cultivate a social life with you and your friends. Have scheduled days to go out and meet up with them so you break the routine of sitting around the console/PC all day. I also suggest having a secondary hobby that doesn't pertain to an electronic device or screen. Because as Gamers, we stare at enough electronics on a daily basis. Try getting yourself outdoors more often to balance out game time. Add things to your life that have a bigger significance and priority to them when compared to gaming. This is what helps me, and hopefully, does for you too!

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
Step 1. - Get a Life
Step 2. - Repeat step 1 :tearsofjoy:

Just kidding! Well, I am, but I'm also not. No matter how infatuated or passionate you are about gaming. You should always have other things that fill up your life as well. Having a job and working is one thing. But learn to develop and cultivate a social life with you and your friends. Have scheduled days to go out and meet up with them so you break the routine of sitting around the console/PC all day. I also suggest having a secondary hobby that doesn't pertain to an electronic device or screen. Because as Gamers, we stare at enough electronics on a daily basis. Try getting yourself outdoors more often to balance out game time. Add things to your life that have a bigger significance and priority to them when compared to gaming. This is what helps me, and hopefully, does for you too!
Any outdoor activity is really essential for our personal well-being. Sitting in front of the gaming screen poses multiple health hazards which can be controlled only by taking a break every now and then.

Getting addicted to anything including gaming will not lead us to anywhere. A balanced life is what we all should opt for.

I consider mine not to be an addiction but part of my daily life, although if you mean if how one can control his gaming urges, I recommend actually just going out for a walk and try to think what to do from there. I always think about responsibilities to restrain myself from playing too much. Also one should try thinking of the good consequences of gaming too much compared to doing something productive instead.
The best move is to strictly limit the gaming time. Any extra spare time must be spent on other fruitful and productive activities. Personally I have tried this and brought good results as well. Now playing a game for limited period of time has become a habit.

Last edited by a moderator:

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
We play games because we're bored and/or we've got time to spare. Just find another way to fill it!
Find another engaging and fun activity that could ideally replace videogames. Creative hobbies work best, since they take up effort, but they suck you in once you get started. Technology-related hobbies will also do, since they will feel closer to what you're already doing.
However, obviously, you need will power to do that. Force yourself, unplug your consoles and box them away for a while, if need be. It's all about taking the first step.

kenoobie

Reaction score
I think gaming addiction is a problem that is really understated. Willpower alone is not enough when one is addicted. Seeking help from friends and family is usually the best option. Asking help from friends and family is embarrassing but it is a step towards acknowledging that one has an addiction and that person needs help.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
Any outdoor activity is really essential for our personal well-being. Sitting in front of the gaming screen poses multiple health hazards which can be controlled only by taking a break every now and then.

Getting addicted to anything including gaming will not lead us to anywhere. A balanced life is what we all should opt for.

Very true! To me, that's the moral of the story at the end of the day. Try and live a life filled with characteristics of equilibrium. Break the same old routines of sitting around a screen. Like you said, being addicted to anything isn't good. Unless it's a passion you can turn into something profitable. That, however, is a step in the right direction.

goldlady

Reaction score
Will power, that's it. It is okay to LOVE (I mean, actually LOVE) playing games. It is okay if once in a while you use a big part of your free time to play. What it's not ok is when you stop doing other things because you are playing. First, you have to "force" yourself to enjoy doing some other things. Read. Travel. Go for a coffee with friends. Then, you will be doing that kind of stuff and spend a whole day without thinking of playing.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
Very true! To me, that's the moral of the story at the end of the day. Try and live a life filled with characteristics of equilibrium. Break the same old routines of sitting around a screen. Like you said, being addicted to anything isn't good. Unless it's a passion you can turn into something profitable. That, however, is a step in the right direction.
Yeah.... Addiction can be called as a fruitful passion only if it brings some gains in terms of money and fame. But gaming is just an element for personal pleasure which should be given a limited space in life. Any excess will bring no good.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
For me it's pretty simple; whenever I am addicted to a game, I just keep playing. Yeah. I play and play, one playthrough after another, until I have done absolutely everything and anything in the game that you can possibly do. This includes:
1. All main quests, side quests, and all consequences when games have multiple endings
2. Achievements in the game and on Steam
3. Collecting the cards
4. Reading up on the stories from the main character to the NPCs in the wiki
5. Speed runs and higher difficulties if the achievements demanded it

And after that, when I've done everything, I'll be bored of the game and won't touch it again. And that's how I stop being addicted to it.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
For me it's pretty simple; whenever I am addicted to a game, I just keep playing. Yeah. I play and play, one playthrough after another, until I have done absolutely everything and anything in the game that you can possibly do. This includes:
1. All main quests, side quests, and all consequences when games have multiple endings
2. Achievements in the game and on Steam
3. Collecting the cards
4. Reading up on the stories from the main character to the NPCs in the wiki
5. Speed runs and higher difficulties if the achievements demanded it

And after that, when I've done everything, I'll be bored of the game and won't touch it again. And that's how I stop being addicted to it.
Isn't it strange. You mean to say that you go into deep addiction so as to relieve your addiction. May be you are right.

But this can be a case of addiction relief from a single game. What if you again get addicted to some different game?Then do you repeat the same process then? As far as I feel this process will keep going on and off.

Will power, that's it. It is okay to LOVE (I mean, actually LOVE) playing games. It is okay if once in a while you use a big part of your free time to play. What it's not ok is when you stop doing other things because you are playing. First, you have to "force" yourself to enjoy doing some other things. Read. Travel. Go for a coffee with friends. Then, you will be doing that kind of stuff and spend a whole day without thinking of playing.
I agree.. It is all about willpower. Without it no matter how much we try to divert ourselves, our mind we will surely revert back again.

Stepping out of the house where there is no gaming console works best for me. I always prefer to go out for a walk e wry morning and evening. This keeps me busy and also solves my weight issues.. LOL

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Isn't it strange. You mean to say that you go into deep addiction so as to relieve your addiction. May be you are right.

But this can be a case of addiction relief from a single game. What if you again get addicted to some different game?Then do you repeat the same process then? As far as I feel this process will keep going on and off.
Addiction won't stop unless I stop obsessing over it. I'll do that once I've done everything there is to do in the game. If you quit right then and there while at the peak of you playing the game, you'll be curious as to how the story unfolds. How the characters will win the story. How you can defeat the overwhelming odds. What lies after reaching the higher levels of your skills. It's that kind of curiosity that will eat you up until you play again. Best play until you get sick of it, then you can get back with your life.

pauldox3

Reaction score
Get a job i guess hahaha idk. I used to be very much addicted. I'd play like 10-14 hours a day. I stopped playing that much when i applied for a job. I guess my gaming addiction came from being to idle or something.

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
Well I will be the first to tell you that your never going to overcome a gaming addiction until you're ready. You have to really want it or you're just going to relapse. You first step is to try not to game for a week and see how that goes. Then two weeks and finally 4 weeks. And if you can make it 4 weeks without gaming then your ready to sell your gaming devices and games.

Don't bother trying to sell everything without trying to not play for a month. Because your just going to go out and buy everything new again. ANd don't bother trying to stay away from gaming websites. Because the first second you go on a gaming website and see a game you really want you're going to relapse.

You have to really make sure you're mentally strong to be able to quit gaming. It took me 3 years to get to the point of my life where I can go days without gaming and only game 1~3hrs a day. And if you feel like you need professional help then you need to go to a gaming rehab center.
I agree with most of what you said! You really need to be prepared to quit otherwise you'll end up worse. But I don't think a person that's addicted to gaming can be without doing it for a week at the very first! I think they should try with a day then two and so on.. I mean a week seems a bit harsh to do. I have never been addicted to gaming but in general addiction you can't overcome them overnight

WildSpirit

Reaction score
I always try to practice some of my other hobbies: going to the movies or theater, swimming, walking, running, cycling, listening to music, reading a book, talking to my friends (personally, obviously :tearsofjoy:) among many other things. :wink:

Get a job i guess hahaha idk. I used to be very much addicted. I'd play like 10-14 hours a day. I stopped playing that much when i applied for a job. I guess my gaming addiction came from being to idle or something.

Get a job was an excellent, wise and funny decision! :smile: Very useful tip, haha! :sob:

Well one step one could take to overcome gaming addiction is through systematic desensitization.You can do this by reducing the number of hours you spend on gaming in a systematic way.

But don't you think that for a true addict, decreasing the amount of hours to be played is not something extremely complicated to be done?

I consider mine not to be an addiction but part of my daily life, although if you mean if how one can control his gaming urges, I recommend actually just going out for a walk and try to think what to do from there. I always think about responsibilities to restrain myself from playing too much. Also one should try thinking of the good consequences of gaming too much compared to doing something productive instead.

A good walk may be the resolution of various problems, not just to improve gambling addiction. Don't you agree with that?

I think it's very relieving. :pepe:

ZXD22

Reaction score
Work man. That is how I got over my addiction, but then you get addicted to work but at least you'd be making some serious cash heheh

WildSpirit

Reaction score
Work man. That is how I got over my addiction, but then you get addicted to work but at least you'd be making some serious cash heheh

Your perception of reality is really good! As Rihanna would say: "Work, work, work, work, work...", HAHAHAHA!! :pepe:

Work is the key! :smiley:

tinrmz15

Reaction score
Gaming addiction can be hard to wean especially if gaming is a routine of your daily life. For me I overcome addiction when I continue to age and prioritize on more important things than constantly gaming. When I started college, I eagerly want to play but certain responsibilities that are vital for school and to my life must be done. Its about what your dream and goal in life. If you just want to be a gamer everyday, think about how will you live for the coming 10-20 years and when your parents are gone to finance you. Or you want to be a successful person who can pay bills and stuff. You can still play games but just on past times and finish important things first so that later on you can enjoy a worthwhile life.

Bayoneutra

Reaction score
Being busy.

By having other things to do, you just slowly detach yourself from your addiction. Be it college, working, having a different hobby or a different set of responsibilities... Bottom line is that gaming becomes something to do in your free time, and by reducing the time you spend doing it, you eventually lose the need of gaming 24/7, simply because your time becomes your biggest asset and you spend it on things you actually need to survive.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
Addiction won't stop unless I stop obsessing over it. I'll do that once I've done everything there is to do in the game. If you quit right then and there while at the peak of you playing the game, you'll be curious as to how the story unfolds. How the characters will win the story. How you can defeat the overwhelming odds. What lies after reaching the higher levels of your skills. It's that kind of curiosity that will eat you up until you play again. Best play until you get sick of it, then you can get back with your life.
Here is where self control and will power hold their importance. We always have a upcoming day to explore the hidden. So it is better to limit the screen time and create a balance in life. We should try to fetch time for everything. Maybe with this we learn to live life to the fullest.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Here is where self control and will power hold their importance. We always have a upcoming day to explore the hidden. So it is better to limit the screen time and create a balance in life. We should try to fetch time for everything. Maybe with this we learn to live life to the fullest.
Yeah, but that's always been my strategy. Once I'm sick of a game, it's done permanently. I was so addicted to Witcher 3 and Skyrim that I remember days that's just me playing it. Eat, work, play, sleep. No other change in that pattern for a while. Then I finished everything to be done in the game, so even now, if I want to play a new playthrough of those games, I'd get bored 2 hours in, since I've already done anything and everything I could.