• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How to make Minecraft work on an old computer?

Beverly

Reaction score
Minecraft runs with no problems on my new computer as it has updated graphics and processor as well as OpenGL. However, Minecraft won't run on my old computer due to an OpenGL issue. Everytime we try to run Minecraft on the old computer, we get the 'no OpenGL' error. I have read everything on the forums about how to solve this issue, but so far nothing has worked. For awhile, I had a work around via modifying the jar file so that OpenGL was not required, but that stopped working with a more recent version. I want Minecraft to run on the older computer as my new computer is for work online not gaming.

Jack123

Reaction score
Unfortunately Minecraft will no longer work on older computers, as old graphics cards don't have the required OpenGL version. The only way to resolve it, is upgrade the graphics card. But if the computer is fairly old, it's unlikely you'd be able to upgrade the graphics card far enough, thus you'd need to buy a new computer to run the game.