• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How to counter Illaoi

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Recently I played versus 2 experienced Illaoi players. As a Nasus, my initial idea was to stack the tentacles and Q whenever I could, but this champion is so oppressive, she can basically kill me while she is farming, and if I get ganked and she has ulti, she will just get a double kill if we don't play smart.
I have 2 questions. First, how should I play mechanically versus her? Should I just "e" the minions to get gold, and be away from her, as Nasus?
The other question is, do you guys have any tips to fight against her? I heard Gangplank was strong against her, is that true?

Gladdy

Reaction score
Well, you can basically get free Q charges from her tentacles. If she's trying to zone you, just let her and make sure you're still in the range of the creeps XP... eventually the lane will push to your favor. Freeze it there and stack your Q's. You can also ask for a gank if she's giving you too much trouble. You should try to get the frozen heart when you can versus her. You can also check YouTube for any possible Nasus versus Illaoi videos that will give you even more tips.

One important thing: IF SHE ULTS YOU RUN. Don't look back, cast your W and just run the hell away. She's so broken when her ult is up... those tentacles do an insane amount of dmg so if you engage in a fight you will lose.

luispas

Reaction score
Illaoi is the nightmare of many of us, she's so strong and it seems that everyone who plays her are really good, she's the worst thing that Riot could do lol. I've seen that Irelia mains can easily beat her, but I don't really know. The other day I watched a Vayne going top against an Illaoi and Vayne screw her, that poor Illaoi could do anything.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
Well, you can basically get free Q charges from her tentacles. If she's trying to zone you, just let her and make sure you're still in the range of the creeps XP... eventually the lane will push to your favor. Freeze it there and stack your Q's. You can also ask for a gank if she's giving you too much trouble. You should try to get the frozen heart when you can versus her. You can also check YouTube for any possible Nasus versus Illaoi videos that will give you even more tips.

One important thing: IF SHE ULTS YOU RUN. Don't look back, cast your W and just run the hell away. She's so broken when her ult is up... those tentacles do an insane amount of dmg so if you engage in a fight you will lose.
Yeah, trying to be brave isn't an option here. I need to run away from the ulti and re-engage after. Thank you for the tips ;)

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
Illaoi is the nightmare of many of us, she's so strong and it seems that everyone who plays her are really good, she's the worst thing that Riot could do lol. I've seen that Irelia mains can easily beat her, but I don't really know. The other day I watched a Vayne going top against an Illaoi and Vayne screw her, that poor Illaoi could do anything.
By Vayne you meant Gosu? If so, i can picture how screwed she was lol. Anyways, yeah she is very oppressive in the lane. About Irelia managing to kill her, i don't know how she can do it, but for sure, she has much burst. Maybe Riven can also destroy her...

luispas

Reaction score
By Vayne you meant Gosu? If so, i can picture how screwed she was lol. Anyways, yeah she is very oppressive in the lane. About Irelia managing to kill her, i don't know how she can do it, but for sure, she has much burst. Maybe Riven can also destroy her...
I think it was Pray or maybe Huni. I remember that the poor Illaoi couldn't do anything XD Irelia can beat her if she starts being aggressive since lvl1, you could watch videos from IreliaCarriesYou, he's a great player. With Riven I have my doubts, maybe Riven could win on late, I think.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
I recently learned Lulu can actually be a good counter, because of her shield and movement speed buff, plus ultimate. Also, ranged champions like Lissandra, Jayce, Rumble, Kennen have a good chance to winning versus her. Tryndamere is also a good counter if he plays safe until level 6.

Deathisue

Reaction score
Is almost imposible, i never win againts that champ and i am main top, i play passive the most of the time with her because always i try to trade her she kill me and is really annoying fight againts her, she have a lot of damage and a lifesteal that deserve be nerfed, i hate her and her ultimate is just a lie, if you know a way how i can beat her tell me.