• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How do you buy your games?

Where do you buy your games?

• Digital download

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Retail store

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Both

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters

jenmc

Reaction score
I'd say my game purchases are about 70% retail and 30% digital. Both have pros and cons. I like the ease and quickness of buying games digitally, but I don't like to use up all the storage on my console. Plus, I'm just old fashioned. I like to have the physical copy. I'm the same way when it comes to movies, I have a few on VUDU but I still prefer the physical copy.

Maelalove

Reaction score
I almost always buy a physical copy of the game when I can and will do so for as long as I can, but that's in regards to console games. PC games, I'm on the fence about. I mean I do like having a physical copy of the game but I sort of like the system some games are running as in they have the standard game as a download and then you can chose what modules to buy and add to the game.
Agreed. It usually isn't a big deal about space, either, and you can use different hubs to kind of keep them all together, like steam.

MandyMarieB

Reaction score
I don't know why, but I really prefer having physical copies of my games. So I do go to a retailer (usually GameStop) to purchase. And usually, I can get them for a pretty good deal by using E-Rewards to get GameStop Rewards points to trade in. Sometimes I save up to $15. :) Pretty good deal, especially with how expensive games can be these days.

Belovedad

Reaction score
As time progressed, I almost entirely shifted over to buying them digitally. The last physical copy of a game I've bought was roller coaster tycoon. It was a couple of years ago. Now I just test the demos for games I might like then if I do, I purchase them online.

FenWoFon

Reaction score
When it comes to buying games I personally like buying them online through plataforms such as Steam and Origin, I highly recommend steam for anything regarding to buying games and that kind of stuff, I actually think it is the best platform out there these days and it has the best prices also some good offers every season of the year, you guys should try it if you dont know about it.

cortana

Reaction score
I order them from Microsoft because they usually give me a gift code to use on a future purchase.

I ALWAYS order the hard disk too, because if I want to get 11 cents for it from GameStop one day, then at least I have that option! LOL

Luddy420

Reaction score
As a console gamer that plays Xbox One, I have strictly went to digital games. The only time I will pick up as disc is if it's a really good deal. I play PC games occasionally, and I am strictly Steam on there. I think we are not very far from a digital only future in gaming.

Steamroller

Reaction score
I buy Almost always digital digital,doesn't apply exceptions if I liked the collector edition or I'm in a whimsical mood to have games in physical distribution. It really bugs me when my disks got some scratches there and there. I handle them with the utmost care, but to receive scratches seems to bi an unavoidable fate.

thefratman

Reaction score
Depends heavily.

If it's a game I can't find physical, I go digital with no worries. I can live with a mixed library in this fashion.

lisasian86

Reaction score
I play all my games on my laptop so I buy them all from Steam and download them. I'm hoping to buy a PS4 at some point soon though and for that I'll probably buy physical games although I'm pretty lazy so if I can get a game I want without having to go outside I'll usually opt for that.

Kitty Reeves

Reaction score
If it's a game I really love, I usually buy in on Amazon, or at the local GameStop. There's something nice about having psychical games and seeing them all line up nice and neat on the shelf. That pretty much only for console games though, I like getting digital downloads for PC games.

SunnysideUP

Reaction score
I prefer physical copies as well, they just make me feel more safe about my game's data.
Purchasing and downloading a game online or pre-ordering a hard copy is much faster though. Since most retail stores around here bring a limited range of games, some of these games are hard to come by, unless you order them in advance and it might take them several weeks to get a hold of. But I still find it fun to physicaly browse around in a game shop for interesting games, I guess it's a remnant of a previous gaming era.
It's also much more fun to go to game shops that let you test out new games and consoles and hang around there with your friends. Isn't that much more heartly than waiting in your house for a game you ordered from the internet?

OutOfSpoons

Reaction score
I mostly use a PC to play my games, so I usually go through Steam when purchasing games. On occasion, I use Origin for Sims stuff, but I've stopped because Origin screwed me out of a game once (or maybe I did something idiotic, who knows?). The only other thing other than PC that I use is mostly the 3DS, where I just drop by GameStop to pick up games for. I have bought some stuff through the 3DS store, but I do love having a physical cartridge for my handhelds.

lexinonomous

Reaction score
I cannot remember the last time I purchased a video game through a retail store. All of my games are bought through digital downloading. I play video games on PC and majority of my games are bought through Steam. I wouldn't mind buying video games through a retail vendor, but my laptop does not take discs and it's honestly easier to download the game directly to my computer. I also love the fact that all of my games are assigned to my steam account, so there is no losing anything. I have memories of losing my physical copies constantly.

cros1625

Reaction score
PC = digital. Console = physical.

I use to buy / sell PlayStation games, so with physical I could do that. I don't so much anymore tho. Plus it use to be hard copies didn't take up as much space as digital on PS, but with the PS4 it seems even with the disk, you have to install / update and one game ends up taking ~50gb of hard drive space... but I still prefer hard copy on console.

Casiox

Reaction score
Well, when it comes to buying games and that sort of things I mostly do it online because it's somehow the easiest way nowadays, I've never had the chance to buy a PC game from a store because I've basically never seen one in my country (Original PC games store), however, I would've bought some it there was one in any part of my country, as we all know, Steam is the biggest platform in the market and it's actually the best, so yes, there's where I get most of my games from and I am absolutely happy with them so far.

AnonLu

Reaction score
As a PC gamer, always digital. If I had a console, I would buy all of those games digitally too. It's just so convenient among other factors.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
As a PC gamer, always digital. If I had a console, I would buy all of those games digitally too. It's just so convenient among other factors.
My only thing about it is, often when I find my self without internet, I am unable to play any of the games if they are not downloaded :(

Joel7050

Reaction score
I prefer to buy physical copies of games. It feels great to get home and excitedly rip open the packaging, hold the actual physical disk in your hand and let it install. Then being able to display the box and CD on a shelf with all my other games... buying online just doesn't give the same satisfaction from buying the physical copy!

Denis_P

Reaction score
I literally cannot remember the last time I bought a physical copy of a game or even what that game was for that matter, so you could say I've been all digital for a while now. It's actually a bit upsetting to some degree. I miss the days of going to the local video game shop with my mom, excited at the premise that I was finally getting a new game today. It was one of my fondest memories, but as I grew older I obviously started going alone with my own money, and then the excitement began to die down. Then I got a credit card and next thing I knew I wasn't even buying physical games anymore, just doing everything through Steam. Such is life, I guess.