• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

[HELP ME]Laptop Overheating:/

uchenna

Reaction score
Alright, so first off know that i just recently changed my os from windows8 to ubuntu(Linux)

Know that you know that, my problem is that when im play game(minecraft, garys mod, etc..) or doing multiple things on my laptop at once causes my laptop fan goes out of control, it gets really really hot, and freezes, im forced to hard restart my laptop every time, im just looking for solutions or anyone's thoughts on how i might fix this problem,

I didn't have this problem with windows8 and i was dumb enough not to just duel boot with both os's but its to late now, im not spending $200 for a new os.

Pluto

Reaction score
FN +1 on your keyboard will turn the fans to full. Leave them on, if your fans keep going to fast and drawing too much power the laptop will forcibly shut down (happened with my old one). Next if you seem to still cannot manage to keep the temps down then you really should open it up and clean out the dust. If that doesn't work check the bios and make sure nothing has changed.

uchenna

Reaction score
Doesn't seem FN +1 is doing anything for the fans, and my laptop isn't shutting, it just freezes and the system gets really hot so saying it overheats is just an assumption, i don't know what it is for sure, taking it apart would be much work but may be the only way to fix it, but may i ask why you got a new computer?

Pluto

Reaction score
I have a desktop and laptop now. Old laptop was junk.

Stealth

Reaction score
My laptop has been freezing. Try putting it on a cooling pad, that solved my problem. (But mine was for sure Heston problems.)

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
Emulsifiable said:
My laptop has been freezing. Try putting it on a cooling pad, that solved my problem. (But mine was for sure Heston problems.)

How much are cooling pads usually?

Darth-Apple

Reaction score
The only problem is that as soon as you take it out of the fridge, it would overheat again. :p

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
Potent Odor said:
Put in the fridge for a while. Works every time.

The freezer might work better in this situation.