• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Have you stopped playing any games because of its community?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I once stopped playing DotA 2 for a while because the people in the region server I play on are very toxic and offensive towards enemies and even towards their own teammates. It was that one time that I was blamed and insulted so hard because they said I sucked since I wasn't able to play properly. Not all players are ill-mannered in this region but it is rather rare to find people who play DotA 2 that treat other players with compassion.
Another would be Undertale. I was able to complete the game once and it felt satisfying because it was a good game for me, but when I checked the communities for Undertale, I was surprised to see some of them pairing characters in the game and I was somewhat disappointed.
Yeah, some people take Dota 2 games way too seriously. Not even ranked, mind you. I had a teammate who didn't want to share the courier because someone else picked the one he wanted. He kept it at the upper left jungle in the map (we were dire) and wouldn't want anyone to use it. Just kept right clicking so the cour stays there. Mid and bot of course lost their lanes because no items and support. Fuck that.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
In a certain way, yeah. I'm not a big MOBA fan, but I still gave League of Legends a shot a couple of years ago, but I really couldn't stand the community and ultimately left. I guess it's easier to notice with multiplayer-centric games like LoL , but even single-player games have their exceptions...
Another would be Undertale. I was able to complete the game once and it felt satisfying because it was a good game for me, but when I checked the communities for Undertale, I was surprised to see some of them pairing characters in the game and I was somewhat disappointed.
...like this one. I enjoyed Undertale, but shipping and all is not really my thing. It's a pity, because I love checking out a game's community after finishing it, but I couldn't bring myself to in this case.

Deathisue

Reaction score
Of course i did, the League Of Legends community is very salty and always will be, for a few months i stop playing just for that. I and gold 5, i complete my mision for the season, but still that community is very toxic for me and it does not seem to change.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
In a certain way, yeah. I'm not a big MOBA fan, but I still gave League of Legends a shot a couple of years ago, but I really couldn't stand the community and ultimately left. I guess it's easier to notice with multiplayer-centric games like LoL , but even single-player games have their exceptions...

...like this one. I enjoyed Undertale, but shipping and all is not really my thing. It's a pity, because I love checking out a game's community after finishing it, but I couldn't bring myself to in this case.
I checked out Undertale when it was really big and people were talking about it. It wasn't all bad since you can apparently have multiple playthroughs that affect each other; but the fans really ruined it since they started telling everyone it's the best game ever and if you don't believe us, you have no taste in gaming. It also didn't help that a lot of the fans have never played more serious games; hey maybe Undertale was better than your Candy Crush, but you gotta stop telling people it's the best game in the history of mankind.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I checked out Undertale when it was really big and people were talking about it. It wasn't all bad since you can apparently have multiple playthroughs that affect each other; but the fans really ruined it since they started telling everyone it's the best game ever and if you don't believe us, you have no taste in gaming. It also didn't help that a lot of the fans have never played more serious games; hey maybe Undertale was better than your Candy Crush, but you gotta stop telling people it's the best game in the history of mankind.
That's also true. It's certainly a kid-friendly game from the looks of it, even though there are more mature themes developed throughout the other paths, but a younger audience leads to this annoying trend. It's truly a pity for such a nice game to be overshadowed by its fanbase's hostility.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Not really, since I don't play online that much and I don't care about offline communities (you know, the various forums and Facebook pages, those places where the fans just bitch around). If a community is bad, I just stop caring about the community. If I live the game they won't make me change my opinion.

Khalil A

Reaction score
Well I haven't done it yet but I think that I am going to leave league of legends because the communauty is toxic. Some play to lose, some play to only win and some don't even care. League of legends had a good reputation, for now, I don't think so.

goldlady

Reaction score
Yes, I have! I actually stoped playing COD because it's community. I just could not stand it anymore. Some of them are so insulting and they just start offending people without any reason. I think that a game's community is really importante to have succes.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I played WOW for 6 months and I quit playing because the community is so toxic. They would zerg me and corps camp me and camp the revive person and I would just have to log out until they give up. I tried to go back to the game a few times but the community was still the same if not worse.

airfightermax

Reaction score
I haven't really dropped any games yet due to toxicity, but the most toxic game I have ever played is probably League of Legends, in this game, everything is blamed at you and creative insults are always thrown around.

Even though League of Legends' community is like this, I still can't get myself to stop playing. I'm addicted.

yunken

Reaction score
No I haven't, I only stop playing games when I find it hard to pass some levels even with cheats or when it story no longer make sense to me.

DenisHero

Reaction score
No,I never renounced playing a game because of its community.
What made me to really quit a game was the lack of interest and cooperation of support staff.
Something else to give up on a game was the daily routine which became boring.A game with no regular updates and new additions is not being taken care of.

Frank

Reaction score
Not really, although I'm really close to it now. There's a game I like to play online and I've reached a level where there's pretty much only one server where I can play and have in, but there are these guys there that constantly talk about politics and the game doesn't have a mute function so I have to listen and ignore which is super annoying.

Inqogn1to

Reaction score
I would say Battlefield 4 to a certain extent. Because of the hackers roaming free all day long, and the people who are crashing servers. Sucks big time. It astounds me that Dice and EA still have not dealt with that Issue, its pretty crazy to me how they can allow such a huge triple A game to be ruined by that type of crap. The toxicness I can handle, have gotten hardened to it somehow through the years..