• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Have you stopped playing any games because of its community?

MLF

Reaction score
Nope. I go in with the expectation that most communities are toxic because of the typical age range and disposition of the player base. Then again, I have pretty thick skin in the first place and have no problem ignoring what may upset or discourage the average person.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
I stopped playing League of Legends for a while because of the community. I've gotten to the point now that I won't play competitively unless my roommate is my duo partner, that way I have someone in game with me that will always have my back. I almost feel like things have gotten slightly better since you can choose your primary and secondary roles, though. No more fighting in the pregame lobby because you weren't the first to call your preferred role.

BethSztruhar

Reaction score
Luckily I never had to quit any game because of the community, but I heard about LOL and a lot of friends of mine complaining about CSGO too.

overcast

Reaction score
I don't pay much attention to community. As long as community works out in my favor, that is well and good. You can see that some of the changes happening around are not in favor of the game studios if community revolts. I know one such game studio quits due to constant bashing of the gamer. So it all comes down to handling conflict.

Denis_P

Reaction score
I stopped playing Call of Duty games online because I got tired of twelve year olds telling me how they made sweet love to my mother last night. The same actually goes for Battlefield. It seemed as if the most vocal of all the players were the ones with the lowest IQs and nothing of value to say besides annoying racist remarks and curses. I got tired of having my faith in humanity diminish every time I jumped into a game.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
I haven't, I don't now, I like to play game for my own and not to share it with a community, but there is always a person in the community that can be a hell of annoying because they want everyone to do what they say.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
I thought about how I don't care about how good or bad the community is, but then I realized how important actually it is for the whole gaming experience. I quit LoL because of it. The worst community ever. Mostly bad players, that curse a lot and throw hate speech at you for no reason. And blame everyone for their mistakes. I don't have to listen to that and so I decided not to.

pioneerauthor

Reaction score
Yes, I have once stopped a game because of its community, but that happened when I was in school. When I first gained an admission into the university, I used to play a game of Snokers with some friends and continued playing this game till I started hating the calibre of boys that later started joining the community. I then withdrew from that game finally till I graduated.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
YES. There's a lot of games I've stopped playing due to its community. It's either the community is so dead or that the community is so toxic. Mortal online has quite a reputation (you might want to look that up). I'm generally a sociable person in MMOs and I think it's just so rude that a lot of people would PK me just for talking because they think it's annoying. I don't like dead communities either, I play MMOs so that I could meet people and having a dead community just makes it a single player game eating your bandwidth.

WarVet

Reaction score
Never happened to me as I favor playing offline rather than online. Still, i occasionally take a dip into online communities of such games as CS: wheterGO, COD, and such FPS and never had many problems to the point of saying "Hey this game is not worthy it". Having online friends is good and all but I don't think we should let a community dictate whether we should play or not. The game itself should be good enough to speak louder than any community.

thart

Reaction score
I can't say that a particular community has forced me away from a game, but I know the League of Legends community has a reputation for being one of the most toxic communities out there. I always have a good laugh at it, but some people have had serious issues with it
Yeah, i am agree with you about it.. i also had a serious issues too

Koyomi Araragi

Reaction score
The Undertale fandom is disturbingly cancerous and have put a lot of people off of a great game. I'd never go around calling myself an Undertale fan for that reason.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Nope, not really. The community might be jerks but i will still play the game.

AnthonyB

Reaction score
While I play LoL more, I also enjoy Dota2 I really haven't encountered too many flamers/ragers. While in LoL I seem to meet one every other game however on the upside I also tend to see friendlier people on LoL as well just everyone trolling having a blast with a good old fashion tdm.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
No. In fact, why would I do that? I can't see any reason for it. I mean, if the community is bad and / or boring, I enjoy the road alone. Problem solved... Simple as that. There's nothing to worry about it (I'm extremely practical when I want to :sunglasses:).

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Dota 2 can really turn off some people because of its toxic community. Skins and other items are all money-based, so people brag about it even though it helps nothing with the game. Toxic players are more frequent in ranked games, but they appear too in just casual ones for god knows what reason. People also sell their accounts so others can boost it, which really ruins the point of having to grind your way to the top.

Maxthewriter

Reaction score
Why would I stop playing a game because of a community? I don't let people get in my head. I choose games to play based on my personal preference, and not based on what others opinions are.

So, I can't stop playing a game simply because of a community's take on it. While I don't shut my ears ( or In this case, eyes) to people's contributions and seriously consider them, I at last act based on my final perception. I don't allow myself get swayed.

So, if I stop playing a game, it's my uninfluenced choice

valy

Reaction score
I play Counter Strike Global Offensive a lot, but sometimes I must leave the game because of my team or the others. When I have a team, and they are shooting me, they push me out of the game, so, I prefer to get out of the game and join later or join later the other team. I hate when this happens, and I don't understand why they behave like that?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I play Counter Strike Global Offensive a lot, but sometimes I must leave the game because of my team or the others. When I have a team, and they are shooting me, they push me out of the game, so, I prefer to get out of the game and join later or join later the other team. I hate when this happens, and I don't understand why they behave like that?
Yeah, people can let loose online because they are anonymous and would not fear any repercussion. That's why you see lots of flamers and rage quitters online. That's how they let loose some steam from their real lives. It may sound sad I know, but that's how the world works. The main demographic for hardcore competitive online games are the ones who really have to invest time and dedication into that game, and it's usually because they have nothing better going on in their lives.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I once stopped playing DotA 2 for a while because the people in the region server I play on are very toxic and offensive towards enemies and even towards their own teammates. It was that one time that I was blamed and insulted so hard because they said I sucked since I wasn't able to play properly. Not all players are ill-mannered in this region but it is rather rare to find people who play DotA 2 that treat other players with compassion.
Another would be Undertale. I was able to complete the game once and it felt satisfying because it was a good game for me, but when I checked the communities for Undertale, I was surprised to see some of them pairing characters in the game and I was somewhat disappointed.