• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Have you stopped playing any games because of its community?

JoshSucksAtGames

Reaction score
Personally, I haven't. What about y'all? Have you quit any games because of toxic communities. Which game(s)?

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
During the early stages of DayZ it was pure cancer, everyone was an absolute twat so I quit for a while. The community fixed itself eventually.

Patrick

Reaction score
Rust. I used to love playing Rust, but the community slowly went on a downward spiral. It's gotten to the point where I almost regret the purchase.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
I can't say that a particular community has forced me away from a game, but I know the League of Legends community has a reputation for being one of the most toxic communities out there. I always have a good laugh at it, but some people have had serious issues with it

Dabstin

Reaction score
About 3 years ago I used to play SA-MP, but the more competitive it got, the less fun I had. Our clan was formed by a group of friends trying to have fun without taking the game seriously, we ended up falling victims for that cancer in the end though. It ruined it for me. Instead of coming back from school to free stress, I got back to get more stressful over a game, it was getting ridiculous and I just had to quit. The community that's left now is mostly Brazilians and Russians, most of which can't speak proper English so I can't communicate with them even if I wanted to get back into that game. A lot of the old players I know have left the game not long after I did.

I think I might stop playing CSGO soon as well. I'm not as experienced as most of the other players in this game who invested thousands of hours into it (I just merely hit the 100 hours mark, 50 hours of those were in Arms Race mode too lol), so I tend to make stupid mistakes every now and then. It's infuriating how every time I make mistakes, I get showered with rage from half the team and I actually got kicked once for making said mistakes (joke's on them, that decision only caused their loss to accelerate). Anyway the CSGO community as a whole is just sickeningly competitive. I hate it when people take a game that seriously. Actually I don't mind if they take it seriously, but not accepting defeat or assigning blame every time our team gets overwhelmed by skilled players in the other team is what makes it hard for me to continue playing this game. It's very rare that I actually find people who enjoy the competitiveness of the game without all the immaturity. If I'm going to continue playing this game I think I'll just play in Casual mode (or other modes, excluding Competitive), while muting the audio, since there are still idiots who take casual seriously and end up raging on their mics.

angrychicken

Reaction score
I can't say that a particular community has forced me away from a game, but I know the League of Legends community has a reputation for being one of the most toxic communities out there. I always have a good laugh at it, but some people have had serious issues with it
Completely agreed. League probably has the most toxic community I've ever met to be honest. All the raging and flaming could easily drive players away from the game.
But it doesn't really affect me that much, I can continue playing games regardless of the toxicity of the communities, especially considering that most games have "mute" buttons and you can just do your thing without anyone bothering you.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, mute is definitely one of the best features in the game. But sometimes I do get caught up in the toxicity haha

SharaElyse

Reaction score
I found an awesome MMO called Black Gold Online, it was a steam punk vs fantasy type game and it was so fun! It had a good bit of similarities to World of Warcraft and Forsaken World. I was happy to try it because I got to start on DAY 1!! For me, that was a big deal after playing FW which had already been out for a year and a half when I started.
Anyway, the game was fun, but drama started and there were few people left. My guild allied with the other big guild and when they felt we were "no longer useful" they turned on us. I got tired of logging in everyday just be cursed at and belittled, so I ended up leaving. The last time I logged in, there were 5 people online. It's sad, but I believe the big guild and their rude behavior along with a poor company destroyed that game.

lexinonomous

Reaction score
I quit playing Team Fortress for the huge amount of douchbaggery. I was a new player and honestly, I wasn't half bad. Veterans of the game were really rude and constantly feeding slurs towards me on the mic. I am pretty used to the occasional jerk during multiplayer, but it was just an overwhelming amount of people that weren't worth playing with.

JoshSucksAtGames

Reaction score
I quit playing Team Fortress for the huge amount of douchbaggery. I was a new player and honestly, I wasn't half bad. Veterans of the game were really rude and constantly feeding slurs towards me on the mic. I am pretty used to the occasional jerk during multiplayer, but it was just an overwhelming amount of people that weren't worth playing with.

I've never used the mic in Team Fortress, so I can't speak on that. No one ever insulted me over mic either. Maybe I'm lucky in that regard. Seen a lot of people call other people tryhards or 13 year olds though.

Nehssa

Reaction score
Like people have said previously, League. Well, I still play, but I stop for a couple weeks because of the community. I am pretty sensitive person and I get really affected if someone is being a jerk on the game. Many people to just mute people, but by the time they've started to become really toxic, it's already affected my gameplay. Regardless, I still enjoy LoL, I would enjoy it so much more if people weren't so mean. D:

MyOCDisMild

Reaction score
I did briefly stop playing Black Ops 2 a while back. This was back when we still had Clans and competitions...and I don't know if this is something that everyone experiences or if I was just overly sensitive, but for awhile, there were a lot of really racist people flocking to the game. They would make Hitler themed emblems and here lately I've seen some rebel flag ones. Gaming for me is a way to relax, and now that my little brother is moving forward in his life, it's a way for us to connect, but it just seems to zap all the fun out when you have angry people yelling racially derogatory terms at you, and frankly, it kind of hurts.

But...since I'm a BO2 addict....that only lasted a little while and now I do what I should have done in the first place and mute them the second I hear it.

Honeymoon

Reaction score
League of Legends, DOTA 2 and CS: GO comes to mind. And pretty much every other MMOFPS games. In that order. The community is just plain terrible. I don't think I've met a single nice person from League of Legends. I remember making a genuine mistake and having like half of the people there insult me for being a noob. DOTA 2 people are slightly nicer, but can still be pretty annoying because the better players are so arrogant. But generally all of the games I mentioned have a cancerous amount of arrogant people.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
League of Legends, DOTA 2 and CS: GO comes to mind. And pretty much every other MMOFPS games. In that order. The community is just plain terrible. I don't think I've met a single nice person from League of Legends. I remember making a genuine mistake and having like half of the people there insult me for being a noob. DOTA 2 people are slightly nicer, but can still be pretty annoying because the better players are so arrogant. But generally all of the games I mentioned have a cancerous amount of arrogant people.
I agree there are huge amounts of arrogant and just inconsiderate people, but I think you have to take all that with a grain of salt. If you genuinely like a game, and if you find a group of people you can enjoy playing it with, don't let a few misguided players discourage you from playing. I have met plenty of toxic people that have sometimes gotten to me so badly it actually ruined my day. But I always just have to take a step back and realize it's just a person playing a video game, and I love that video game so I'm going to ignore them and have fun.

Honeymoon

Reaction score
I agree there are huge amounts of arrogant and just inconsiderate people, but I think you have to take all that with a grain of salt. If you genuinely like a game, and if you find a group of people you can enjoy playing it with, don't let a few misguided players discourage you from playing. I have met plenty of toxic people that have sometimes gotten to me so badly it actually ruined my day. But I always just have to take a step back and realize it's just a person playing a video game, and I love that video game so I'm going to ignore them and have fun.

Well I haven't really stopped playing the games completely, I just play them a lot less. I still play LoL once or twice every week or two (when I'm bored and don't feel like playing the games I usually play). It's really hard to enjoy the game when you have all sort of insults getting thrown at you though. A lot of the players are very immature (a lot of them are probably very young) and I'm not exactly the best at handling immature people. It just ruins the experience for me. And yeah, I'm still trying to find a group of friends I can play with. So far I've found one potential player for Dota 2 (since I just recently got back into it and it's my focus at the moment), but we're still looking for more, probably gonna get a few of his friends to play.

SharaElyse

Reaction score

Yeah that community is pretty rough >.< A friend of mine asked me to play TF2 through Steam with him and I wasn't sure what I was getting into. It was the first online game I had played with others and I was invited to a private server. It was fun, but I wasn't very good at it. People started ganging up on me; it was pretty bad.

Liquor

Reaction score
Oh wow. I've never thought about this question before. And it seems like people here actually have encountered this! That's sad. Gaming is supposed to be fun. I didn't realize people took it that seriously. But I guess gaming communities are no different than any other community that has toxic people. Such as the Internet Marketing community. That community can be pretty brutal as well.

I have not encountered a crazy gaming environment as of yet. I'd probably just leave that community if I did experience that though. I play games for fun on my mobile and I'm not all toxic and crazy about it. Some people are just bored, overly competitive, and like to start crap with other people. I imagine the craziest people are the ones who like to pick fights with people on the Internet who they don't even know. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

AnthonyB

Reaction score
I stopped playing COD, Battlefield, or any mainstream FPS online with my brother because I couldn't stand the fact that every time I logged on to play, there was racist fuck shit talking my brother and I. I finally said fuck it. There's no reason for me to keep doing this to myself. No one is making me play the game. Plus, FPS type games were never really my thing anyway.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I haven't completely stopped but I've become very uninterested in League of Legends largely due to its community. I feel like its community was the final push. I went from playing for hours through the week to maybe 1-2 games per week which is a huge difference.

I think that we have all heard how toxic their community can be. I think it was expected since it seems to happen when a game gains a large, sudden burst of popularity - it brings all of the immature players in. I just hate people that constantly flame, or whine, or say things like ''go, die'' or call you the c-word. I am not interested in investing a big amount of time in such games because it defeats the purpose of gaming for me - having fun.

StolenKid

Reaction score
I did, the League Of Legends community was just so insulting for me, I just can't bear them! I stopped playing League because of their community.