• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Gunz 2: The Second Duel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weygd

Reaction score
633782header.png

By Weygd
Date: August 28th 2k17

Game Main Informations
The game is running on PC platforms only and mainly on Steam. The company behind Gunz: The Second Duel is MAIET Entertainement. It was released on May 1, 2014, about 3 years ago.
Introduction
First of all, I think I am well placed to review this game. I've been playing the first opus, GunZ: The Duel, for more than 10 years now even though I stopped a few years ago. I've been waiting for this second opus for more than 7 years as it was supposed to be released in 2010 (see the first image below) and came out nearly 4 years later. When it came out, you guessed it: I ran onto it. I couldn't play it fluidly enough due to my old computer, but I could still play it with less than 30FPS on low-graphics mode. Even though the game is now.. will keep that point for the following part.

To keep it short, without using in-game terms such as BF (for ButterFly) or dashes, I will quote our lord and savior's creation, Steam: GunZ 2: the Second Duel is a free-to-play 3D TPS and is the most fast-paced tough action shooter game. And believe me, it is fast-paced.

gunz2intro.jpg

Getting Started
I will talk about the game as if I was playing as the time I'm writing this review.
You're launching the game, and facing the game tutorial. It is short, yet well done and informative.

960076tutorialscreen.png

Afterwhat comes the game itself and.. Well, as I was about to say in the Introduction part, the game, nowadays, is empty. Empty of players, and empty of content. There's like 4 total different outfits for your character, a few weapons (about 5 main ones, maybe one more), some other weapons and.. that's it, besides the other useless stuff. I was quite disappointed when I first saw that, but eh, let's stick to the rest, shall we ?

The GUI is simple, yet efficient. Even though there's no real "room list" -and you're just joining a game randomly that fits your criteria(s), it has everything it needs and not too much either. You have the choice between a few game modes and a co-op gamemode (don't take into count what the game db says).
But.. that's it. Besides the game itself, there's nothing more.

Game Play
From now on, i'll talk about my past experiences, as you won't have much chance to be abe to play a PvP game.

The gameplay is fast-paced and full of action. Dashes everywhere, climb on the wall, run on it, throw your opponent in the air with your sword.. There's actually some combos and finisher moves. You can stand against the wall with your sword planted in it and keep shooting with the other hand, which is, I must admit, pretty cool.

Graphics
Let's be honest, the graphics aren't mesmerizing but they're okay. Just don't look deeply into the textures or you'll lose sight, especially if you're not in high settings. There's no real graphical bug or anything similar, even though sometimes the ground might be -very slightly- clipping.

..Yes, this is an HD clip of the game. With HD settings.

Re-Play Value
The re-play value is quite low. If we don't take count of the poor amount of players, the game becomes repetitive after your 10th game, if not before. If you're looking for a game that will make you want to spend hundreds of hours on it, GunZ: The Second Duel then will not fit to this criteria.. Especially when you'll spend 90% of your time trying to find PvP games and PvE games that you won't play alone.

Overall Rating
2/5
I was disappointed. I am disappointed. This game was teased more 8 years ago now and came out only 3 years ago. And the result is.. disappointing. It has been in development (with few months breaks) for 5 years, and their game was worse than the first opus. MAIET, look at my face and tell me that I look amused of such deception.

Reactions: Hux
Status
Not open for further replies.