• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Gunspell: Match-3 Meets Questing RPG

rabst

Reaction score
The story is (something like) monsters captured your sister & her agency now needs you to rescue her. What it means is that now you've got to 'battle' all the monsters you can find (in RPG-fashion (like in Dragon Fable or Avengers Alliance), accessing the 'weapons' & 'defenses' etc. via a Match-3 board (like in Candy Crush or Bejeweled 2)).

Like most games on Facebook, you 'help' a lot by simply starting to play at a friend's invite. (Maybe there are also ways to 'give friends bonus-coins or -credits or -tools or -HPs,' but I haven't seen `em.)

The only way I can think-of to help is 'discussion of battle-strategy': starting with the battle-board itself. On starting battle, you are presented with a Match-3 grid covered with numbered-skulls, green-crosses, red-, blue- or yellow-gems, silver-coins, and 'experience-cubes.' You swap two adjacent objects to make at least one row-of-three-or-more, the combination changes your &/or the monster's statistics, and then (if you don't get a 'lucky replay') the monster has the opportunity to match-attack-or-defend.

'Matching rows of skulls' subtracts Hit-Points from the matcher's opponent, '-of green-crosses' adds HPs to the matcher, '-of gems' adds that color of "mana" to the matcher's tool of that color (a tool he can 'use' when it's fully-charged), '-of coins' adds to the matcher's silver-account (with which he can buy better tools etc.), and '-of experience' adds to the matcher's experience-level (with which he qualifies for better tools & a higher HP-count).

You and the monster take turns 'Match-3'-ing until one of you has no more HPs left (at which point either the monster disappears--leaving you points to add to your totals & tools to consider either keeping or selling--or your tools lose some strength and you either change directions or try again).

I try to use an aggressive strategy. When I battle, I first look for Skulls to match, then crosses (if my HPs are at less-than-100%), then gems (mana for offense first, then for defense), then silver or experience.

The other advice I can think of: it's not a race. Maybe 'sis' is in danger or something, but I don't think you get extra points for 'skipping straight to the mission-objectives.' Take your time--maybe fighting all the 'minions' BEFORE you confront the 'main boss'--and you'll come through "strong" (rather than 'weak & depending on good-luck').

Any other advice to ask-for or give?