• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Garry's Mod on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-Y4

Cнroмα

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have this old Panasonic CF-Y4 laptop from who knows when, and my best idea right now is to install Garry's Mod, and join Clone wars. I will be posting updates to here, along with screenshots of any progress.

Example of what it looks like (only acceptable image I could find): http://www.kingoflaptops.com/index....mage&pID=418&zenid=8agu9ul679hc48ttvd4tf1ust1

Progress at post: I have successfully installed Steam on the computer, and soon will begin the process of downloading everything required to join

Iankiller99

Reaction score
I just looked up the specs for that model of laptop. Almost any game besides minesweeper is going to be unplayable. The integrated graphics adapter is only 128MB and is pretty much only good for web browsing and Microsoft Office.

ASC

Reaction score
I just looked up the specs for that model of laptop. Almost any game besides minesweeper is going to be unplayable. The integrated graphics adapter is only 128MB and is pretty much only good for web browsing and Microsoft Office.

Well... Have fun Chroma. XD

Cнroмα

Reaction score
I got the latest version of Minecraft to run with around 15-20 FPS, so there is a small speck of hope still. I will update when Garry's Mod is downloaded (Steam is blocked at school)

Iankiller99

Reaction score
I got the latest version of Minecraft to run with around 15-20 FPS, so there is a small speck of hope still. I will update when Garry's Mod is downloaded (Steam is blocked at school)

Thanks for giving me my first chance to use the optimistic rating. Good luck :).
Btw why are you trying this again? Just for fun or?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cнroмα

Reaction score
Thanks for giving me my first chance to use the optimistic rating. Good luck :)
The computer was originally a computer handed out by a company which is now out of business (as of like 2010). It was only used for word processing, but it now serves as my project pc :)

Cнroмα

Reaction score
Update with the computer: Currently downloading Garry's Mod. It's downloading at incredibly slow speeds, but it's at like 22 percent right now. Will update when I get in game.

Cнroмα

Reaction score
Final Update: Garry's Mod finished downloading. Unfortunately, the required version of OpenGL is not compatible with the laptop's graphics card. Guess I am stuck playing Garry's Mod on a more modern PC (oh well :)

Mazu

HL2 Super Admin
Reaction score
Well, looks like I give bad luck instead of good luck, that explains 3 weeks of no internet and being unable to join HL2

Truffle

Reaction score
Final Update: Garry's Mod finished downloading. Unfortunately, the required version of OpenGL is not compatible with the laptop's graphics card. Guess I am stuck playing Garry's Mod on a more modern PC (oh well :)
Try and maybe get a better graphics card that is compatible with the laptop maybe? ;o

Cнroмα

Reaction score
Try and maybe get a better graphics card that is compatible with the laptop maybe? ;o
The computer is from ages ago, plus it's a laptop, therefore no way to upgrade the graphics card. So that's a no go :/

Truffle

Reaction score
The computer is from ages ago, plus it's a laptop, therefore no way to upgrade the graphics card. So that's a no go :/
Ahhh Well i mean there are ways to get Older Version of OpenGL I have a friend who did same thing but on an old like 1999 Apple computer

Cнroмα

Reaction score
Ahhh Well i mean there are ways to get Older Version of OpenGL I have a friend who did same thing but on an old like 1999 Apple computer
The laptop is running Kali Linux version 2.0.0 or something (Modification to Debian and Ubuntu if I am not mistaken) and it is also 32 bit. The issue isn't having the latest version of OpenGL, the issue is having it too outdated, thus rendering the graphics card unusable for most games.

Truffle

Reaction score
The laptop is running Kali Linux version 2.0.0 or something (Modification to Debian and Ubuntu if I am not mistaken) and it is also 32 bit. The issue isn't having the latest version of OpenGL, the issue is having it too outdated, thus rendering the graphics card unusable for most games.
Ahh... Makes more sense if you know more of the specs