• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Gaming Movies

Cendrillon

Reaction score
Despite not being as well known, there's a Bayonetta movie out there!
Bayonetta: Bloody Fate is just as flashy as you could imagine, but it remains pretty loyal to the game, which is a plus to me after going through several disappointments (Silent Hill being the main offender, the betrayal burns deep even today.)
It's an animated movie, but it's so well done that you can still enjoy it even without liking anime as a whole.
Plus you can find the full movie in YT, so if you have some time to spare, it's definitely worth your time ∠( ᐛ 」∠)_

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I think Silent hill and Resident Evil are two movies which were good. I think some of the movies like DOOM and Alone in the Dark were not upto the mark. Instead those games were lot better in that case. I have final fantasy animated movies were not good either. Dead space is another which turned out to be good movies even in animated version.
I haven't watched any of the live action Resident Evil movies because apparently it strayed away from the canon-verse of the video game franchise. They added a lot and forgotten most of the original story, and they just used the name of the brand to get attention in the media and gamers alike. The reviews weren't that great as well, yet they keep making one movie after another so I guess there's a market for it. As for me, if it's not canon, I'm not buyin'.

Lexi

Reaction score
I enjoyed the Silent Hill movie, I love the games more, but I think they captured the feeling of the game. They used music from the older games too. They didn't follow the exact story of the game, but I liked it. The second one was unbearable though, everything was just off.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Despite not being as well known, there's a Bayonetta movie out there!
Bayonetta: Bloody Fate is just as flashy as you could imagine, but it remains pretty loyal to the game, which is a plus to me after going through several disappointments (Silent Hill being the main offender, the betrayal burns deep even today.)
It's an animated movie, but it's so well done that you can still enjoy it even without liking anime as a whole.
Plus you can find the full movie in YT, so if you have some time to spare, it's definitely worth your time ∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
I've been thinking of getting Bayonetta but it was below my radar when I was classifying the games I wanted to get during the last sale. It had good reviews too so I'll probably get it the next time it's on sale. Does the movie/anime show a ton of spoilers for the game or is it safe to watch without ruining the game's plot. I'm sure if I see the movie I'll either like or dislike the game and it would help me decide if I should get it or not.

Okaviator

Reaction score
When you say the word "gaming movies" the first thing that comes to my mind is Assasins Creed. I was sadly dissappointed with the movie that represented the first Assasins Creed title. There was just really nothing going with the storyline besides the fighting.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I enjoyed the Silent Hill movie, I love the games more, but I think they captured the feeling of the game. They used music from the older games too. They didn't follow the exact story of the game, but I liked it. The second one was unbearable though, everything was just off.
I feel like most movies who use video games as source just wants the fanbase and the name that go with it, and not the game's story itself. That's why we have Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc; that have the common aspects of a horror movie like zombies and whatnot, but not the core characters or at least some aspects of the story. It's like they're trying to further make a profit with the name itself and its popularity, and that always backfires when they do not deliver what the fans want.

Lexi

Reaction score
I feel like most movies who use video games as source just wants the fanbase and the name that go with it, and not the game's story itself. That's why we have Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc; that have the common aspects of a horror movie like zombies and whatnot, but not the core characters or at least some aspects of the story. It's like they're trying to further make a profit with the name itself and its popularity, and that always backfires when they do not deliver what the fans want.
Oh, I agree, most of these movies are in for the profit and fanbase. I feel like most of that fanbase ends up hating the movies. It's never their intention to adapt a story, more to make something based on the video game. I also liked the first few Resident Evil movies, I just think they were stretched a little long and I haven't followed the rest.

thart

Reaction score
I watched the movie "The Maze Runner" and even played the games and it is just awesome. I will also recommend someone to watch this movie and also play the games. There are many labyrinths which the players must go through before they finally achieve their goal. There will also be another movie which will be released soon.
I watched The Maze Runner too and played the game, both of them are awesome. Yes you are right, the is many labyrinths must go through, but in the begining i didn't pay any attention for and i get lost for a while. It's was a nice experience.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Scott Pilgrim

This.
Absolutely this.
I was going to talk about Wreck-it Ralph coming in this post, but it's already been discussed (it's an AWESOME movie, didn't expect it to be so good, and I'm excited - and a bit worried actually - for the sequel).
But the only mention of Scott Pilgrim is in the quoted post, and it's a shame! Scott Pilgrim is a classic, a cult movie, an underrated gem nobody watched but everybody loved. It's not about videogames, but there is A LOT of videogame influences in it - it's actually based on a comic.
In short, it's about Scott Pilgrim who want to conquer a girl, but to do so he have to beat her seven evil ex for.. reasons. It's silly, it's genius, it's an awesome movie.
It's directed by Edgar Wright (who also directed some recommended movie not videogame related but absolutely awesome like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz), which is an awesome director with an unique, fast-paced style.
If you love videogame, you'll love Scott Pilgrim. Try it.
If you don't love videogames, however... well, what are you even doing here?

lordrenly

Reaction score
Does Scott Pilgrim fits your criteria of "gaming movies" because I believe Scott Pilgrim are in a gaming universe but it just does not show it explicitly because it is a live action film. However, I did get the Wreck it Ralph vibe when I watched it, to a lesser extent, though. The mundane parts of it also makes it harder for us to tell if the world is really the supernatural gaming world that you were looking for. I love the comedies though.

lordrenly

Reaction score
This.
Absolutely this.
I was going to talk about Wreck-it Ralph coming in this post, but it's already been discussed (it's an AWESOME movie, didn't expect it to be so good, and I'm excited - and a bit worried actually - for the sequel).
But the only mention of Scott Pilgrim is in the quoted post, and it's a shame! Scott Pilgrim is a classic, a cult movie, an underrated gem nobody watched but everybody loved. It's not about videogames, but there is A LOT of videogame influences in it - it's actually based on a comic.
In short, it's about Scott Pilgrim who want to conquer a girl, but to do so he have to beat her seven evil ex for.. reasons. It's silly, it's genius, it's an awesome movie.
It's directed by Edgar Wright (who also directed some recommended movie not videogame related but absolutely awesome like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz), which is an awesome director with an unique, fast-paced style.
If you love videogame, you'll love Scott Pilgrim. Try it.
If you don't love videogames, however... well, what are you even doing here?

Haha. We were thinking about Scott Pilgrim at the same time. I think Scott Pilgrim's comedy and plot can be enjoyed by people who don't like video games as well but people who love video games will get the reference better. I think the plot and the world is like a video game world though where you gradually fight weaker boss until God-mode super strong boss.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Oh, I agree, most of these movies are in for the profit and fanbase. I feel like most of that fanbase ends up hating the movies. It's never their intention to adapt a story, more to make something based on the video game. I also liked the first few Resident Evil movies, I just think they were stretched a little long and I haven't followed the rest.
Well yeah, the fans of the game are the ones who have seen how the story turned out. Seeing their efforts displayed on the screen while showing the story of the game would be awesome, but at the end they end up getting the most disappointed because it's not what they expected. It's like the RE movies, I hear they're pretty good for casual viewers who don't play the games. That's because they don't know the game's story and the discrepancies in the movies.

JoeMilford

Reaction score
I thought Assassin's Creed was also pretty good, but, if you guys remember, there was this old Final Fantasy movie based loosely on the games, and I thought the animation in that and the storyline was pretty good--I can't remember when it came out, but I know it's definitely a while ago...

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
I honestly LOVE Wreck It Ralph! That in a very sweet way to see movies related to games. In an obscurer way I also loved Resident Evil, I haven’t missed a single movie of this game. There are some others like The maze runner (Which actually start has a book saga) and the most recent I have seen in Warcraft which I thought I wouldn’t like but It surprised me how entertaining it was.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Since we almost all agree that Wreck-it Ralph is the best videogame movie ever made, I'll guess I should talk here about the sequel, Ralph Breaks The Internet... Honestly I'm a bit worried. At the D23 they showed a scene from the movie, and apparently Ralph and Vanellope will go to a Disney website and meet other Disney Princess (from Snowhite to Elsa). I.. don't know what to think, but I hope they won't ruin a good gaming movie!
It should be a movie about videogame, not a massive crossover of cartoons!

Deathisue

Reaction score
Very few are good or very few can be a good tribute to the world of gaming, the only one I would recommend is that '' Wreck it Ralph '' because the pixels movie was a fiasco and a big one, I disappoint a lot, besides Wreck it Ralph was a good movies with a lot of characters of other games and even with its own characters take my atention is a good movie worth too see it.

JoeMilford

Reaction score

I have not yet seen the Silent Hill movie, but I do love the game--I think that, after reading this forum, I will look into it. Is it as scary as the game itself?

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I think Silent hill and Resident Evil are two movies which were good. I think some of the movies like DOOM and Alone in the Dark were not upto the mark. Instead those games were lot better in that case. I have final fantasy animated movies were not good either. Dead space is another which turned out to be good movies even in animated version.

I thought the Silent Hill movie was okay but the Resident Evil movies were only good as their own. The Resident Evil movies just never gave me that Resident Evil feel to it and it felt more like an action chich-flick for me. But then again, the rest of the Resident Evil games after 4 didn't feel like Resident Evil at all. On the bright side, I've heard of rumors that we will get a reboot of the Resident Evil movie franchise and it will be very much like the game, so here's to hoping!

JaiGuru

Reaction score
"Wreck it Ralph" I bet everybody in this forum have watched this movie, but if you anybody haven't i insist you watch it right away, the very concept of movie is based on games . the entire story revolves in an arcade and I have watched this movie over 5 or 6 times , so does anybody here know any good movies like this one , that is primarily made based on gaming concepts, if yes please share.

You may like Tron and Tron Legacy. They are roughly built around the same sort of story telling tropes. It's about a guy who goes into a computer and creates a society. Likewise you may enjoy the early CGI cartoon, Reboot, which focuses on an in-game society that is routinely dealing with games the user plays.

mcbryan

Reaction score
Star Wars is the only gaming movie I played. Ever since it begun im already one of the pioneers who is playing until now. It's amazing gaming movie like having the same effect watching the movie itself. It's not far different from the movie but there is some small difference to the graphic or characters. Over all, it's a cool game and I recommend this to any game lovers who like playing movie games.