• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Gaming Movies

prasanna kumar

Reaction score
"Wreck it Ralph" I bet everybody in this forum have watched this movie, but if you anybody haven't i insist you watch it right away, the very concept of movie is based on games . the entire story revolves in an arcade and I have watched this movie over 5 or 6 times , so does anybody here know any good movies like this one , that is primarily made based on gaming concepts, if yes please share.

Pixie06

Reaction score
I watched the movie "The Maze Runner" and even played the games and it is just awesome. I will also recommend someone to watch this movie and also play the games. There are many labyrinths which the players must go through before they finally achieve their goal. There will also be another movie which will be released soon.

prasanna kumar

Reaction score
Yeah I have seen both parts of the movie " The maze runner" and i am waiting for the next part now, generally i don't miss out any movies related to games , so do you know like when exactly the movie is going to released.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Get ready for this, I actually love the Super Mario Bros. film. Wait, before you burn me at the stake, hear me out.

I don't actually love it, but I do love my memories of it. I watched it as a small kid, maybe six years old. As a child I didn't know any better, that the movie was a pile of steamy hot garbage, but it was my two favorite plumbers in real life and that was good enough for me. It made me super happy, and as a result I don't dare watch that film today as I want those memories to stay that way. And they have. It's a great movie, from the perspective of six year old me.

Ipa07

Reaction score
My favorite gaming film is Assassins Creed. I really loved the film since it made me feel like I'm playing the game.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I can't recall if I've seen a good movie that was based off a game, but I can recommend a web series that was pretty good and was based off a well known game! Mortal Kombat: Legacy was great during it's run. I'm still a bit disappointed that the series never had a third season, but during its run I felt like it's the best Mortal Kombat live action film so far.

kenoobie

Reaction score
MK: Legacy was better than its Hollywood counterpart. The story in MK: Legacy is closer to the game than the Hollywood movie. The cinematography and action scenes were also superior. Yes, I agree that it is the best MK live action so far. I am still hoping for season 3 to be released though.

prasanna kumar

Reaction score
Have you seen Pixels, its somewhat similar to Wreck it Ralph except for it has real characters.

BethSztruhar

Reaction score
I love Wreck it Ralph! To be honest that is the only game based movie that I've seen, but I'll check the rest that you guys mentioned in this thread.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
Yeah, Assassin's Creed is probably my favorite too when it comes to games. It could have been better, a lot better, but it was fun and it had some fun moments. And I hope that they will make something good for the next sequel, since the first movie is not amazing but it was fine.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
The Edge of Tomorrow movie was basically a video game. The lead character kills a rare alien and it gave him the ability to travel back in time after he dies, basically doing a reset or do-over when you fail a level in the video game. Of course this won't last, as he loses the ability just before he goes after the main boss, meaning it's do-or-die time and there's no save button to make it easier for him. It was a pretty interesting movie and it has a lot of special effects that make it like a video game trailer, so it's all good.

ATMauphillips

Reaction score
The Maze Runner, I now this movie has two parts however I was only able to watch the first part, I know that I will watch the second part soon and I hope that it's before this week is out .
I never really knew that The Maze Runner was made off the game I was unable to notice any similarities between the Game and the Movie .
I will definitely check out the game and watch the movie again and see what similarities I can find .

StolenKid

Reaction score
I like The Maze Runner series, but as gaming movies, I'm not a fan of those, the only movie based on videogames that really captures the essence of it,, was Silent Hill, even with the creative liberties the director took as a decision made the film a really good adaptation, sadly the sequel was garbage.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
Wreck It Ralph is probably the best gaming movies that I've seen. It's difficult to find something similar with it. Other gaming movies that I know are Warcraft and Tekken, they're both okay.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
The best movie that is game based is Wreck It Ralph, it is fun and all of it have a lot of easter eggs that made you look closely to the movie and be focus on every detail of it, because the other movies like that are not good, I have seen Mortal Kombat, Tron, Assassins Creed, Warcraft, Pixels, and everyone of them has disappointed me...

reginafalange

Reaction score
I've had never watched a movie of this kind but reading all the replies I might check sometime Wreck it Ralph, I knew about this movie but didn't knew what it was about. I've heard that Pixels was really terrible so I'm not gonna even bother.

overcast

Reaction score
I think Silent hill and Resident Evil are two movies which were good. I think some of the movies like DOOM and Alone in the Dark were not upto the mark. Instead those games were lot better in that case. I have final fantasy animated movies were not good either. Dead space is another which turned out to be good movies even in animated version.

CBL28

Reaction score
The Edge of Tomorrow movie was basically a video game. The lead character kills a rare alien and it gave him the ability to travel back in time after he dies, basically doing a reset or do-over when you fail a level in the video game. Of course this won't last, as he loses the ability just before he goes after the main boss, meaning it's do-or-die time and there's no save button to make it easier for him. It was a pretty interesting movie and it has a lot of special effects that make it like a video game trailer, so it's all good.
I agree, the film could make for a good video game, seeing as how it feels just like a playthrough of the "game".

On another note, has anyone here watched Spy Kids 3: Game Over?
I don't want to spoil too much, but takes place in a VR game that is similar to an RPG. It follows the story of the protagonists of the main 2 films. One goes missing in the game, and the other has to save her by beating the game. Though a very old film, I loved watching reruns of it on TV. I really recommend it for anyone looking for an old classic.
I've had never watched a movie of this kind but reading all the replies I might check sometime Wreck it Ralph, I knew about this movie but didn't knew what it was about. I've heard that Pixels was really terrible so I'm not gonna even bother.
I would definitely recommend it. A great movie for all ages; truly heartwarming.

AnthonyB

Reaction score
I don't usually watch movies that I gravitated to wards game ideas because I usually don't like them, but I will say that you should search out the sonic the head jog movie. It came out in 1999, although it looks a lot older. I would recommend this to anyone who likes to cringe at bad movies. I love the art and animation style, but the writing and the voice acting is just terrible. I watch it maybe every few months or so whenever I have some weed. I know it's supposed to be a kids movie and whatever, but I saw it when I was a kid, and even then, I knew it was awful. You could find the whole movie on YouTube. I was going to come here and suggest Scott Pilgrim, but I just kind of assumed that would've been the go to movie to recommend. Plus, I like to recommend a bad movie over a good movie anytime.