• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

GameStop Considering Selling Classic Games

Scion

Reaction score
gamestop610.jpg

Retailer GameStop is considering selling classic games as a part of its existing website.

CEO Paul Raines told Polygon at the recent GameStop Expo in San Antonio, that the company sees the chance to sell classic games to customers as an opportunity to differentiate it from competitors like Amazon, as well as surface titles that gamers might currently have to go to eBay for.

"If you go to eBay and look at all of the gaming stuff that's on there, it's unbelievable," said Raines. "Collector's stuff. We've got to be in that business. We will be."

Raines said that the company is currently working on the move, but it's not without its problems. "We've got [the games]. We think there's a vintage sales opportunity, so we're accumulating some inventory. It's a big idea, and there's a few problems with it. The first one is sourcing the product, the condition, the refurbishment, all that stuff. But there's a customer for it. And we're working on some stuff we haven't announced yet."

Source

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
i wouldn't really buy classic games as you could probably just play them on the pc for free.

Scion

Reaction score
I guess that's what I would do too, but I could see this getting pretty big with a lot of gamers who like playing the nostalgic legit original games for that old system they have buried in their basement

Demon_skeith

Reaction score
Well it's good to know when ever modern games get crappy I can buy some good old day gaming.

Zahreah

Reaction score
Once again. they'll overprice these games and give you a fraction of the price you bought it for with trade in.

VirusZero

Reaction score
I'd never trade in a classic game... But I wouldn't mind having the option to buy some classic games still. I'd love to complete a few collections of games I own without having to spend a ton of money buying from ebay (or trying to win auctions which can get really pricy) and then paying for shipping to me. (Since shipping can be pretty costly too.) Plus then if the game doesn't work I can take it back to that store and return it rather than have to ship it back out (costing me even more) and hope they replace that game or at least refund my money.

Will costs be higher than ebay? Probably. Though if they aren't too much higher than I'd just use Gamestop/EB Games over ebay for simple convenience. (Less than an hour to go to store, buy game and go home versus 2 weeks to buy game, have it shipped and get game. Is 2 weeks of time really worth saving less than 5-10$ ? Though if it were like 30$ difference then I'd probably use whichever is cheaper.)

Ravenisawesome

Reaction score
I would shop there much more often if they sold classic games, because that's mainly all I ever play. Sure the games we have now are great, but the retro games IMO have better gameplay and the nostalgic factor that come with them is great. I'm sure they'll be getting more customers as well if they sold classic games. That's the thing I liked about EB games before they were bought out by Gamestop, they offered classic games and Gamestop didn't.

Samalan

Reaction score
Man, this will be a great move for them. I love the classic games, especially the old pokémon games, Mario games and all of them. This will probably increase sales and I will probably shop there a lot if they do international shipping which they should do for a company like themselves.

Demon_skeith

Reaction score
Voi said:
Once again. they'll overprice these games and give you a fraction of the price you bought it for with trade in.

I say at max, the more they could charge is $15. Unless the game they have is rare.

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
Demon_skeith said:
Voi said:

I say at max, the more they could charge is $15. Unless the game they have is rare.

And I expect that if you trade in a rare game they'll pay you $15 max

Guardian

Reaction score
I don't see this as being profitable really, but what else are they going to do with all of those old unsold games? Better for them to make a few bucks rather than toss them. I've been surprised they haven't done this all along.