• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Free games vs Paid games?

iTommy

Reaction score
I played more free games but also bought and played more paid games. When I google free games vs paid I mostly get stuff about mobile phone games, which I am not interested in playing because I almost play on my PC. For PC, which ones would you play? Free games or Paid games? and why?

Abbott

Reaction score
There is a great mix of good paid games and free games. But most of the good content can come from payed. For me i don't play alot of free games/Mobile games and most of my games i have were given by my friends (Thanks,lmao) But i believe that payed games is where you can get the best content and fun out of from what i seen.

Gladdy

Reaction score
When it comes to the PC gaming, the sad truth is, that if you want the best games out there, you will have to either buy them or download them from the spooky dark web. You do have some free games like League of Legends, DOTA 2, World of Tanks, Smite, ... but if you want the games that end up winning the game of the year award you will have to buy it.

Let me put it this way; if you buy the game, you have thousands and thousands of different games, from any possible imaginable genre but if you want the free game then you won't have as a big of a choice. You will have to be satisfied with what you can get.

I prefer to just buy my games since I play things like Witcher 3, the Final Fantasy franchise, OverWatch, Life is Strange, MGS franchise.

Sino989

Reaction score
I agree with gladdy. I usually buy most of the games I own because they aren't free lol. I do play some free games but some free games for the PS4 are just copies of games or they are really bad.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Free games are gonna be Pay-to-Win games eventually. Either through in-game purchase of skins, items, maps, easier gameplay experience, more combos, etc. Nothing is ever truly free, and I can't really blame them since they gotta pay for the servers to run and all that. It's the people buying $300 skins for a $5 game that bugs me. Do you really have nothing better to do with your money than to buy in-game skins that do nothing for your game other than just bragging rights?

WarVet

Reaction score
I believe that if we're going to spend money on gaming let it be with a PC game. They're usually better developed and generally worth spending money on. I don't advise anyone spending money on mobile content because usually, those games are pay to win. Also, i don't advise anyone spending money with online gaming at all.

iTommy

Reaction score
... But i believe that payed games is where you can get the best content and fun out of from what i seen.
I agree but you can tell me more reasons why people like playing paid games?

Strelitzia

Reaction score
Paid games typically have more content and development behind them. It takes money to develop a game and so it'll cost money to recoup that cost and gives companies and developers more incentive to put forth something that people will buy. Free to play isn't on the same scale. Most of the games are for casual gameplay in mind and development is lower on the scale- meaning actual content is little to none after x hours spent on it. Plus with the Pay 2 Play for extra skins for a game that isn't worth much only encourages more glut of empty content games just to feed either gambling addictions or people who just want pretty looking art.

iTommy

Reaction score
Paid games typically have more content and development behind them. It takes money to develop a game and so it'll cost money to recoup that cost and gives companies and developers more incentive to put forth something that people will buy. Free to play isn't on the same scale. Most of the games are for casual gameplay in mind and development is lower on the scale- meaning actual content is little to none after x hours spent on it. Plus with the Pay 2 Play for extra skins for a game that isn't worth much only encourages more glut of empty content games just to feed either gambling addictions or people who just want pretty looking art.
You are right on this.
Honestly I don't know what is the main purpose of free game? Do they offer them for free to sell other stuffs in game?
What are things behind free games?

pioneerauthor

Reaction score
There are hundreds of gaming platforms online that provide fantastic games to anyone for free in as much as people are not interested in playing paid games online. Anyway, there are certain gaming platforms online that upload some heavy and more fantastic games which are not free to play, although list games for sale with some coupon codes. Such platforms sell games at a certain amount.

Gladdy

Reaction score
You are right on this.
Honestly I don't know what is the main purpose of free game? Do they offer them for free to sell other stuffs in game?
What are things behind free games?
Well, yes. A lot of these ''free'' games actually have some sort of microtransaction system in the game. If you look at a game like League of Legends. You can buy almost everything if you spend money buying their ''Riot Points''. Anything from champions, rune pages, skins, and more. It does somewhat make the game easier since getting all of the champions by just playing literally takes months... but it's still not affecting your win conditions or success. You don't have to pay to win.

Then for example Hearthstone. Also a free to play the game with tons of things to be able to buy in-game. Expansions, card packs, ... many complain that you have to spend at least some money if you want to truly compete at a high rank.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I consider only buying games if they have online features and if I am sure that they are worthwhile by reading reviews and criticisms for the game but of course I'd buy it if I love the game franchise despite negative reviews.
There are few free games that I have seen so far that really suit my preferences. For MOBA games I'd go for DotA 2 all the time and for first-person shooter games it would be Team Fortress 2.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Most free games aren't even worth trying. The only exceptions are MOBAs (DotA 2 and LoL), because they make profit out of skins and tournaments: basically, just because they're really popular. Some others, like Team Fortress 2, make profit out of loots, boxes and all kinds of apparel (you've certainly heard about the infamous hats), but that's fine to me as long as that doesn't influence the game's balance. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.
Other kinds of free games are short story-driven games that developers pump out to build up some renown, and they're mostly fine, but they aren't long enough to be enjoyed for a long time.

So, as you can see, there's not much room for choice if you limit yourself to free games. Paid games have no restrictions because they don't need to find other subtle ways to make money out of it. Not until DLCs happened, at least.

Jack_Dan

Reaction score
Both paid and free because I believe in sharing and exchanging games. So, do exchange lot of games with my friends and because of that, i played lot's of games and also discovered some good games. Sharing games always work and you get the chance to play the different type of games.

thart

Reaction score
I almost play free games in my computer, but sometimes i also play some paid games.
there are many good free games to play, but if we compare we will find out that the paid games are the best, because of the qualitty of course.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
I guess I prefer free and paid games equally, you could say. I think overall you'll get a better gaming experience from a paid game given the production value of it (not to mention I like to pay once for a game and be able to play it indefinitely, not have to buy every little thing inside the game).

I do, however, play a lot of League of Legends with my friends, which is a free to play game, so I'd say my time is equally distributed between paid and free games.

airfightermax

Reaction score
I believe that if we're going to spend money on gaming let it be with a PC game. They're usually better developed and generally worth spending money on. I don't advise anyone spending money on mobile content because usually, those games are pay to win. Also, i don't advise anyone spending money with online gaming at all.

PC games and Console games. I'm a PC gamer but when playing multiplayer on PC, you're bound to encounter cheaters. On its counterpart console titles though, a cheater encounter would be very rare. Developing hacks for PC games are way easier to do while on console, it's a lot harder since they'll also have to bother how they will get it installed to the system, which seems to deter most would-be cheaters. So if you want to buy game and don't want to worry about cheaters, consider buying it on a Console platform.

Eliza

Reaction score
I think that there are many great games on both the paid and free sides. I think that yes you sometimes get more quality with paid for games. However, that is not always the case, there are a lot of free games with good quality. Most of the time, there's a free version of a game with less features and a paid for version that has many more features. For me, I prefer free games.

Eliza

Reaction score
When it comes to the PC gaming, the sad truth is, that if you want the best games out there, you will have to either buy them or download them from the spooky dark web. You do have some free games like League of Legends, DOTA 2, World of Tanks, Smite, ... but if you want the games that end up winning the game of the year award you will have to buy it.

Let me put it this way; if you buy the game, you have thousands and thousands of different games, from any possible imaginable genre but if you want the free game then you won't have as a big of a choice. You will have to be satisfied with what you can get.

I prefer to just buy my games since I play things like Witcher 3, the Final Fantasy franchise, OverWatch, Life is Strange, MGS franchise.
I agree that the best of the PC games tend to be the one you have to pay for. I think that you can find way more quality free games on mobile than PC. Though yes, there are some pretty good free games on PC like the ones you mentioned.

yunken

Reaction score
I don't see the difference between the free and the paid games. There are some paid games that can be gotten free on some sites.
To me, some free games are better than some paid ones...