• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Favorite RPG Game?

arachnophobik

Reaction score
The thing I hated about Fallout 4 is the "dungeons" are office buildings next to each other. Are you telling me that those supermutants on one building and the bandits on the next one coexisted this whole time, and then only time they became hostile was when I went in? That's just ridiculous. Also, you can't really befriend anybody outside the settlements. Everyone in those "dungeons" all wants to kill you, so you gotta kill them first.
Yesss that's so true. Sometimes I wonder "wait... these people have probably been in the game longer than I did and you mean to tell me nobody ever figured out that the other guys live next door?". Like if the supermutants hate the humans so much for being the "inferior race" then why aren't they killing the bandits?! I've seen a radscrorpion fight off a mole rat before so why aren't the superhumans and bandits doing the same?! And yeah, you're pretty much stuck with who you have in the settlements. I never cared about them anyway because I never found the people there interesting. "Oh hey there you are, another settlement needs your help" like geez man what does a guy have to do to get a break here.

appleandcinnamon

Reaction score
I really liked Fable 2 and Fable 3. Too bad Lionhead Studios isn't producing anymore installments. They were the first to come up with the concept of adopting kids and building houses in a combat oriented RPG -- yes, way before Bethesda came out with Hearthstone as downloadable content for Skyrim.

BrokenDownFlier

Reaction score
I do believe you meant Hearthfire for Skyrim as Hearthstone is Blizzard's World of Warcraft collectible card game. And I also liked Fable 2, 3 and the Torchlight series.

Sino989

Reaction score
One of my all time favorite RPG games in Saints Row 2. It was the very first RPG game that I played and actually enjoyed. I loved everything about the game and Is till do to this day!

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yesss that's so true. Sometimes I wonder "wait... these people have probably been in the game longer than I did and you mean to tell me nobody ever figured out that the other guys live next door?". Like if the supermutants hate the humans so much for being the "inferior race" then why aren't they killing the bandits?! I've seen a radscrorpion fight off a mole rat before so why aren't the superhumans and bandits doing the same?! And yeah, you're pretty much stuck with who you have in the settlements. I never cared about them anyway because I never found the people there interesting. "Oh hey there you are, another settlement needs your help" like geez man what does a guy have to do to get a break here.
And you gotta do everything. Plant crops for us general. Build our beds general. Wipe my ass general. You're not the one in charge. You're basically the errand boy since everyone just orders you to do what they need because either they are too lazy or they are so incompetent after 200 years of war that they forgot how to create stuff when you, someone who just got out into the new world, knows more about creating radiation barriers and power armors than those people.

WarVet

Reaction score
Combat is better in Skyrim because the magic aspect in Oblivion is more of a toggle and side ability instead of being your main use. I like being a mage and I really didn't feel like I could be a mage in Oblivion because you even had swords/shields early on and the fireballs just come out of you like some weird outlet crap. The NPCs in Oblivion look like potatoes to be honest, but that's for another topic.

The options are better for the mage class indeed. Most games OP some class in favor of others. It seems almost every game has the best class to play with. Even online games. Skyrim, on the other hand, is one of the better-balanced games I've seen. You can be almost anything and be good at that, and actually, stand a chance against other classes and all is well.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
The options are better for the mage class indeed. Most games OP some class in favor of others. It seems almost every game has the best class to play with. Even online games. Skyrim, on the other hand, is one of the better-balanced games I've seen. You can be almost anything and be good at that, and actually, stand a chance against other classes and all is well.
That's what I liked about Skyrim. Before that game, once you stuck with one type or class, it's for the whole game. Wait to try and be a different class on a new playthrough. With Skyrim, when you get bored of a sword, start learning magic! You'll get there eventually. And let's not forget the ever popular and (what I think is) incredibly lazy playstyle of the stealth archer.

WarVet

Reaction score
That's what I liked about Skyrim. Before that game, once you stuck with one type or class, it's for the whole game. Wait to try and be a different class on a new playthrough. With Skyrim, when you get bored of a sword, start learning magic! You'll get there eventually. And let's not forget the ever popular and (what I think is) incredibly lazy playstyle of the stealth archer.

Yeah! you could even mix classes up. Fancy magic and swords? Now you can be a warrior mage. Or maybe you fancy axes and magic? Then you can become the new mage-barbarian. Just love the possibilities.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yeah! you could even mix classes up. Fancy magic and swords? Now you can be a warrior mage. Or maybe you fancy axes and magic? Then you can become the new mage-barbarian. Just love the possibilities.
Tired of everything? Start a punch-man character who wrestles bandits and punches dragons to death. There are infinite possibilities that's why Skyrim is still popular 6 years after it was released because of a combination of those and the modding community that adds even more content to the game. It's like when you have a passion for gaming, everything comes easy.

BrokenDownFlier

Reaction score
To be honest, Skyrim isn't the first game to have done the "play whatever skills you want" style. Daggerfall (2nd game in The Elder Scrolls series for those unaware) was one of the earliest to have it that was successful and even they weren't the originators--that was some low budget indie game from way back in the earlier 1980's. The first Elder Scrolls game, Arena, was just a hack and slash game with Wizardry or Might & Magic style levelling.

My old Daggerfall char started out as the stealth archer because it was something I had never done and was insanely popular back then but not overpowered like the class is now. On my first runthrough of the game I ended up guildmaster of thief, fighter, mage guilds and max favor with 2 or 3 other temple factions. Of course my mage training consisted of going to an inn, renting a room for a week or so and practicing my skills then sleeping when I got enough points to rank up. After a few hours of this, I'd go back to the mage's guildhall and take a few quests to level up my faction reputation. I understand that this is still possible in all of the sequel Elder Scrolls games.

WarVet

Reaction score
To be honest, Skyrim isn't the first game to have done the "play whatever skills you want" style. Daggerfall (2nd game in The Elder Scrolls series for those unaware) was one of the earliest to have it that was successful and even they weren't the originators--that was some low budget indie game from way back in the earlier 1980's. The first Elder Scrolls game, Arena, was just a hack and slash game with Wizardry or Might & Magic style levelling.

My old Daggerfall char started out as the stealth archer because it was something I had never done and was insanely popular back then but not overpowered like the class is now. On my first runthrough of the game I ended up guild master of thief, fighter, mage guilds and max favor with 2 or 3 other temple factions. Of course my mage training consisted of going to an inn, renting a room for a week or so and practicing my skills then sleeping when I got enough points to rank up. After a few hours of this, I'd go back to the mage's guildhall and take a few quests to level up my faction reputation. I understand that this is still possible in all of the sequel Elder Scrolls games.

Oh, that was way before my time! But I suppose every great masterpiece takes inspiration from something else. It happens in music all the time. What made Skyrim so popular was the amount of content and later on the number of mods, you could employ to make the game exactly like you wanted. like @OursIsTheFury said a sandbox game with dragons essentially.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Oh, that was way before my time! But I suppose every great masterpiece takes inspiration from something else. It happens in music all the time. What made Skyrim so popular was the amount of content and later on the number of mods, you could employ to make the game exactly like you wanted. like @OursIsTheFury said a sandbox game with dragons essentially.
I actually once played a playthrough where I just avoided the first dragon fight encounter, meaning dragons never spawn in the rest of the game. It was just Skyrim without shouts or dragons, so a generic RPG in general. It was fun; I was just an adventurer who kept exploring and doing quests for the townsfolk. Once I got bored enough to go do the main quests, I was around level 50, and the game had so many powerful dragons all of a sudden.

BrokenDownFlier

Reaction score

Well if you ever get curious, you can get Daggerfall for free. I had to use google to find it but here's the official site for Daggerfall:
I can't remember if you have to have DOSBox or if they released their own variation preconfigured for more modern computers. Have fun if you choose to try it.

WarVet

Reaction score
Well if you ever get curious, you can get Daggerfall for free. I had to use google to find it but here's the official site for Daggerfall:
I can't remember if you have to have DOSBox or if they released their own variation preconfigured for more modern computers. Have fun if you choose to try it.

I have been an avid user of DOSBox every since Full Throttle! Oh man, old school RPG. I will definitely give that a try! Thanks for the suggestion!

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Final Fantasy 6, hands down. It's the first of the "modern" Final Fantasy games and was so iconic, so supremely well made that devs to this day are still using it as a base line for their own work on newer, progressive titles. Uematsu's music was superb and the sheer variety of things to do in the world was groundbreaking at the time. It left a lasting impression on me and all these years later I still boot up a copy once every year or so to relive one of gaming's truly venerable adventures.

Lindsy90

Reaction score
Here are my top 5 no particular order. I see that nothing since the PS2 gen has blown me away. Bad sing for me.
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Suikoden II (PSX)
Dragon Quext VIII (PS2)
Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Final Fantasy IX (PSX)

appleandcinnamon

Reaction score
I do believe you meant Hearthfire for Skyrim as Hearthstone is Blizzard's World of Warcraft collectible card game. And I also liked Fable 2, 3 and the Torchlight series.
Oh God, I am sorry. I play both games and I was typing that pretty late at night, so I mixed up the game titles by accident. Thank you for correcting me.

JoeMilford

Reaction score
Great choices man, I'm a huge fan of both Knights of the Old Republic games.

As for myself, I have to say it's a tossup between the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3, leaning more towards Oblivion. I actually love both for the same reason, and that's atmosphere. The soundtrack and ambience was so good for both games that they instantly suck me into the gameplay in a way that many games don't. The feeling of exploration and being able to create your own personal journey was what made them for me.

In fact I still listen to the Oblivion soundtrack when I go out for walks and hikes, it's perfect wandering music.

My roommate recently turned me on to Fallout, and I must admit that it is pretty addictive. Obviously, you and i have some of the same preferences--I am an Elder Scrolls enthusiast, and Fallout also appeals to my sense of epic adventure and the POV experience of a new and fascinating ever-changing world.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Thanks! Although the oblivion scrolls is the older game, many people have really been praising the game for being superior to skyrim when it comes to the story. I feel that I would definitely check the game once I steam goes on sale and could afford it with my budget.

I think if you want a better story, you might as well try Morrowind instead of Oblivion. Oblivion is good, but I thought it could've been far better. The voice dubs were quite annoying and it felt so... so bland. Morrowind had the best story compared to Skyrim and Oblivion, but since the graphics are outdated, you might want to download graphic mods for it. I'm pretty sure there's an overhaul mod that compiles all the best graphic mods in Morrowind now.

mcbryan

Reaction score
My favorite RPG game would be Final Fantasy VII, the characters, the story, the soundtrack, it's all beautiful, I love it.
Same here pal! Final Fantasy is the only RPG game I love to. The game content and characters are amazing. The soundtrack is just so cool to the ears it's like adding excitement while playing it. I never tried the latest but for sure I will soon. Do you have any tips or suggestion I can use in playing pal?