• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Favorite graphic software

overcast

Reaction score
How did you learn to use Photoshop? I also use Photoshop from time to time. But I only know a couple of things such as ID making, photo editing, putting effects on layers. I still don't know those other features like photo manipulating and other cool stuff. :/
I think for photoshop, there are plenty of channels on youtube. In fact some channels you can find it can do manage it properly. As you can see there are some good graphics designers who explain how to use these tools. I have learned mostly from random Photoshop tutorials. For me youtube and some website tutorials worked out.

airfightermax

Reaction score
I think for photoshop, there are plenty of channels on youtube. In fact some channels you can find it can do manage it properly. As you can see there are some good graphics designers who explain how to use these tools. I have learned mostly from random Photoshop tutorials. For me youtube and some website tutorials worked out.

Yeah, there are a lot of DIY tutorials out on YouTube that can teach you a lot of things. They have a lot of tutorials out there now you could be a good graphic artist just by looking up tutorials on the internet.

The future really is here now :)

m33kuh

Reaction score
Yeah I always get my knowledge on youtube tutorials aside from experimenting. But what I don't really get or don't fully understand is when to use or when to not use those different color set-ups when you are starting a new project. And also, what file types is best for this and that. I could probably learn more from the web itself rather than video tutorials.

overcast

Reaction score
Yeah I always get my knowledge on youtube tutorials aside from experimenting. But what I don't really get or don't fully understand is when to use or when to not use those different color set-ups when you are starting a new project. And also, what file types is best for this and that. I could probably learn more from the web itself rather than video tutorials.
I think it requires some project to fix that problem. When we follow the youtube tutorials or say website tutorials. We need project to keep that skill going. Otherwise it'd not be worth much to learn. So if you have to learn something come up with some say pet project. And then build something using those skills. Then I am guessing should work out.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Yeah. Sometimes I feel like I forget some things that I used to do so quickly like the shortcuts and other features of the software.
When I try to use it now, I feel like a turtle. :/

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Just GIMP for me, but I've heard of a lot of people using Photoshop. I've tried Photoshop before and I must say that it is really nice and it feels a lot easier to use compared to GIMP, but I wouldn't get it because of that price tag. I'd rather have GIMP which can pretty much do all that I need to do anyway, and GIMP also has a big community of users that offer you more downloadable plugins for GIMP to improve your experience.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Just GIMP for me, but I've heard of a lot of people using Photoshop. I've tried Photoshop before and I must say that it is really nice and it feels a lot easier to use compared to GIMP, but I wouldn't get it because of that price tag. I'd rather have GIMP which can pretty much do all that I need to do anyway, and GIMP also has a big community of users that offer you more downloadable plugins for GIMP to improve your experience.
Glad to hear you are enjoying that software. Does it also have effects or layer stuff such as what we have in Photoshop? Like for instance we can do masking or add multiple layers yada yada yada. :)

surlaw

Reaction score
Paint Tool SAI for sure. I like Photoshop fine, but I'm much more familiar with SAI, and I've used it since I was first getting into digital art. At this point, the controls are pretty second nature to me, so it feels weird using anything else. I will say, my Wacom came with a trial of Autodesk Sketchbook, and I really liked it for what it was. It was really fun to experiment with and doodle on. However, SAI will always be my favorite for any more serious works.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Glad to hear you are enjoying that software. Does it also have effects or layer stuff such as what we have in Photoshop? Like for instance we can do masking or add multiple layers yada yada yada. :)
yes it does actually :) I work with lots of layers for my sprites usually. I would make a layer for the outline, a layer for the skin, then a layer for the outfit color and such. I haven't used Photoshop in quite a while but I'm sure GIMP has most of the stuff available in Photoshop with Photoshop having a slight edge at some pre-installed brushes and such, while as the advanced brushes in GIMP have to be downloaded as plugins. But as for layers, filters, masking, etc., GIMP has you covered :)

m33kuh

Reaction score
yes it does actually :) I work with lots of layers for my sprites usually. I would make a layer for the outline, a layer for the skin, then a layer for the outfit color and such. I haven't used Photoshop in quite a while but I'm sure GIMP has most of the stuff available in Photoshop with Photoshop having a slight edge at some pre-installed brushes and such, while as the advanced brushes in GIMP have to be downloaded as plugins. But as for layers, filters, masking, etc., GIMP has you covered :)
That's good to hear man. Yeah although there are other versions of adobes as well that does better such as Ai or the CC ones. but yeah, as long as it gets the job done and won't hassle you that much, that's always good.

Referal

Reaction score
For me it depends on what I am making or in Need if I had to choose I would go with Photoshop or Paint.net but PS has better features compared to rest free ones as its well-paid software Pixlr is also a good online web software I use it sometimes when I want to make a mini banner or a profile picture etc.