• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Vita Does Sony not care about the PS Vita?

Bremaine

Reaction score
Lets just start off here, the PS Vita isn't selling a lot these days and not a lot of games are being released for it. So, is there a chance the PS Vita could be on the way out? Or is Sony just playing favorites towards the PS3 and PS4 for now?

It just feels like they're neglecting those who purchased the PS Vita and want games, but from what I can tell, not a whole lot of games are coming out for the PS Vita. Do you agree or disagree that Sony is kind of destroying the PS Vita slowly? Discuss!

Ridge

Reaction score
There are a lot of games coming out for the Vita, I can't keep up with all my Vita games. It just has a very specific audience. If you like fun, odd JRPGs you will literally never run out of Vita titles to play.

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
Or is Sony just playing favorites towards the PS3 and PS4 for now?

Of course. They're the consoles that earn them the most income, not so much PS3 now, but PS4 of course. They're obviously going to put most if not all their focus onto them.

PS Vita will eventually die out, but same goes with every gaming console eventually, it's only a matter of time.

mauricioq

Reaction score
Of course it's not their main focus because the Vita didn't sold as much as expected, but they still care about it, a little but they do hahah. The low number of games getting released is not Sony's fault.

TheViper

Reaction score
It isn't like they pulled a Zune move on the PS Vista. They are actually releasing stuff for it and it has its own audience. They definitely haven't forgot about it even if they have their eyes on other projects.

joshposh

Reaction score
This reminds me of Sega back in the 90s. They had several gaming consoles within a span of a few years and could not supply enough quality games for all of them. Sony should take a look back into video gaming history. Sega is now a game publisher and not a console maker.

Moaz13

Reaction score
The Vita really is suffering from lots of ports and re-releases. It's become my Persona 4 machine because there's barely any other games I play on it. The problem is that Sony do not care about pushing the great games that do come out on it. For example Danganronpa and Danganronpa 2 are great games I played on the Vita. There's also Virtue's Last Reward and Tearaway but Sony only manage to promote the Vita as a PS4 controller and nothing else.

Morvack

Reaction score
"I agree" is the short answer, but where is the fun in that?

To be completely honest, I think the vita as a whole was dead on arrival. Admittedly, the premise sounded good. Download games so you always have them, no need to worry about disk scratches, ect. The problem with the vita, is it wasn't different enough from the psp to really survive. They were both made by sony, play the same games, and no really noticeable change in graphics or horse power. Not to mention, having to buy all the games you already have for the psp, again for the vita really came off as a money grab. That along with a "new electronic" price tag, really blew up in the face of sony, and everyone who purchased a vita. It simply doesn't make financial sense to release games for the vita, due to how little the sales would be.

Atlas_Hope

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that they don't care about the vita, but their consoles earn them the most money and compared to Nintendo they haven't really got that big of a share in the handheld market, its like 80% to 20%. The vita is awesome for JRPG's, indie games and some quirkier titles, but Nintendo crushes with the first party games, something Sony really needs to improve on.

BluBird

Reaction score
The Vita isn't profitable enough to bring over teams to produce triple A games. It's changing up the business model to make it profitable. Smaller scope games, HD remakes plus 1 - 2 triple A releases a year.

BluBird

Reaction score
The Vita isn't profitable enough to bring over teams to produce triple A games. It's changing up the business model to make it profitable. Smaller scope games, HD remakes plus 1 - 2 triple A releases a year.

Brady2121

Reaction score
Sony cares about whatever makes them money, which in this discussion, the PS Vita does not. Like other people have said, the Vita just hasn't been profitable enough for Sony to care. Their primary focus is obviously the PS4.

Mackmax

Reaction score
Sony just isn't focused on the Vita right now, is all. The Vita will probably get some more releases and updates once the PS4 hype dies down. Sony does this a lot. When their console has the spotlight, the handheld is thrown under the rug, and vice versa. The Vita is dying, but I'm sure that Sony isn't quite ton sucking as much money as they can out of it.