• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Does anyone know where Battlefield 1942 has gone?

ducklord

Reaction score
I vividly remember that some years ago Electronic Arts had released the old classic Battlefield 1942 for free. It had appeared on many sites, and it had found its way to the Origin store as well, as a freebie.

And now, it's gone.

No matter how much I've looked around, I can't seem to be able to find it. It's not on Origin, it's not anywhere else, apart from some places where I found some old links that were dead.

Please, notice that we are not talking about a pirated version or a torrent, but the full, free version EA had given as a gift - I guess for promoting another title in the series.

Jafool

Reaction score
I have not heard anything about 1942 being a freebie, so I can't help you with that. I do know however that there is a (although moderately stripped down) version of Battlefield 2 available as a F2P, might be of some interest to you. :)

http://battlefield.play4free.com/en/

ducklord

Reaction score
Nope, I knew about that one, but thanks anyway. I'm looking for the "first version", "the classic" that started it all, not just to be able to replay it, but mainly for a friend with an old-ish laptop with whom we'd played it years ago - and would like to replay it through local Lan. There aren't many games nowadays that support local LAN gameplay, and from what I remember the first Battlefield was one of the best in that regard.

Jack

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hmm, never knew this. I use to like that game but then Battlefield 2 came along.