• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you spend money on gaming gear?

overcast

Reaction score
These days I am reducing a lot of funds being spent on the gaming. I have found that spending too much on games has affecting me financially. These days I am sharing the games and also doing the cafe rounds instead. Apart from that once a year, I do buy something for sale from the steam. And that's more than enough.

Denis_P

Reaction score
I haven't ever bought any gear for the purpose of enhancing my skills or being better than others, I just like shiny things. For example, I'm a big fan of mechanical keyboards with awesome LED lighting like those that Razer sells, or I like to make sure my gaming laptop is safe when I carry it so I buy those fancy expensive backpacks. Things like that.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
I started investing into gaming gear when I took PC gaming seriously. Prior to this, I was more of console person who favored generic controllers and gear. PC gaming forced me to build my machine from the ground up. With that came the option for customizable mouses, headsets, chairs, etc. All of which I took advantage of over time from a limited budget. Some people deem it unnecessary, but it's an individual preference. When I purchase gaming gear, I much sure it's quality so it'll last as I have a fixed amount of money I put towards gaming annually.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
The only thing I bought was wireless keyboard, a strange looking mouse and headset.

AnthonyB

Reaction score
I spend absolutely 0 dollars on gaming. Other than my console and games, I couldn't imagine seeing myself spending money on things othe than that when it comes to gaming. I don't knock it, I just don't need a lot to be able to enjoy game-playing. Plus, a lot of that stuff just seems expensive. I'm broke lol.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
I don't use any gaming gear, I don't think they're helpful, I've once tried my friend's gaming gear and the experience is just the same. He spent more than $100 for the gears. You don't need a gaming gear If you're really skilled in gaming. They might help some gamers that's why they buy them, but it's not for me.

Javo1096

Reaction score
I recently did because I bought a gaming mouse and it was totally worth it, I had a very old one that still had the little ball on the bottom part (it came with a pentium 3 pc almost 2 decades ago) and let me tell you it improves the experience.

Zyni

Reaction score
My husband has a nice gaming mouse and a good headset. I get the leftovers, spare parts for my set up, lol.

I bought my daughter a gaming chair. She loves it. It's not a super fancy, expensive one, just one of those that's curved and low to the floor. She always wanted one of those, so when I finally got it for her, she was pretty happy. It is comfortable It wouldn't work for me though, since I mostly play games on my PC.

Zyni

Reaction score
I recently did because I bought a gaming mouse and it was totally worth it, I had a very old one that still had the little ball on the bottom part (it came with a pentium 3 pc almost 2 decades ago) and let me tell you it improves the experience.

Yeah, I've been wanting a gaming mouse too. I don't play as much as I used to, so I haven't purchased one yet. I still want to get one though. For now, I'm still putting hot keys on my old mouse by way of an addon. It works well enough, but oh, would it be nice to have lots more buttons.

I think I'll shop around and see what kind of deals I can find. Can you recommend a good place to buy one?

Javo1096

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been wanting a gaming mouse too. I don't play as much as I used to, so I haven't purchased one yet. I still want to get one though. For now, I'm still putting hot keys on my old mouse by way of an addon. It works well enough, but oh, would it be nice to have lots more buttons.

I think I'll shop around and see what kind of deals I can find. Can you recommend a good place to buy one?
I bought mine through Amazon and I mean it's not the best they had but it sure is an improvement, I'll say you can check for some good prices on the refurbished section too.

RedVelvetCupcake2009

Reaction score
Not really. I played the DS a lot as a kid and as obsessed as I was, I only ever needed functional gear like boxes for my cartridges or a bag for my console. I was always a pretty frugal person anyway. With PC games or any game, to be honest, I just care about having fun. I can do that with or without gaming gear.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
That is exactly what I mean, you dont really need anything to bacome a better player or anything like that, the only thing that I might accept would be headphones because they're quite important when playing FPS games so you can hear footsteps and all those effects loudly and that MIGHT help you a little bit, however if I was getting paid I would not buy anything, they should provide me everything :D
I know right? They are selling gaming mice (mouse?) that boasts you can choose your cursor speed and stuff. The fastest setting apparently makes your reflexes quicker, meaning you react to game events better. I honestly don't think it's necessary, as a decent mouse with good controls would be enough for playing games even at a ranked or competitive level. They even sell body suits now for "gaming peak performance"? I swear they will just add "gaming-" to anything and jack up the price by a hundred dollars and people will still buy it hoping it will make them better at a game.

CBL28

Reaction score
Apart from my mouse, I don't. I bought a GX-M1 mouse that is special for gaming, but I bought it to kill two birds with one stone. At one point my mouse broke, and I needed a new one. Since I played a lot of games at the time, I bought this mouse to suit my needs. I got it cheap, so I didn't really spend any excess money. Why would I need gaming gear? Some earbuds serve the same purpose as a $300 gaming headset. A $300 gaming mouse is not too different from a $10 mouse. Aside from actual games (and occasionally micro-transactions), I don't spend any money on gaming. That money could be used on something much more useful.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
It depends really. I do spend money on gaming gear, but I don't go for the overpriced ones. I go for those that are bang for the buck or have reasonable prices. A lot of "gaming gear" are basically just gears that look good with barely any actual improvements. Like how I use Audio Technica earphones when I'm gaming and people ask me why didn't I buy from Razer.

MLF

Reaction score
Yeah, I've dropped coin on specific gear to help in games. For example, when I was seriously playing COD, I dropped a couple hundred on a Turtle Beach headset as well as things like KontrolFreek thumbsticks. I can honestly say that both had a positive impact on my in game experience as well so it wasn't like I was just setting fire to my money.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
I would if I could. But since I am still a student I don't get to afford that much of a luxury yet. In time, I will though. When I start working and all, why not. There are a lot of great new games that I want to, but can't play.

StolenKid

Reaction score
I did, I buyed headsets, keyboard and mouses, I bought a camera for twitch too

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
No, if it is not necessary I would not buy gaming gears, but I would like to have a better headphones and a lot of hardware for my PC.

nickdamon

Reaction score
Well, I for one really enjoy spending my money on nice things for my favorite hobby. My Elite Controller and Astro Headset are extremely beneficial to me. I have the income to spend on these things and I enjoy them thoroughly and do not regret them at all. The extra paddles and abundance of customization options (trigger/stick sensitivities and profiles, button remapping, controller profiles, etc.) on the Elite controller are amazing and benefit those who know how to utilize them appropriately. I noticed a HUGE improvement in my gaming within FPS games like Overwatch and GTA. The optional hairpin trigger has been a huge increase on getting the one-up on others drawing or shooting. I also love all the extra buttons for survival games like The Forest and ARK.
As far as my Astros, they were necessary to improve the quality of my stream. I do a lot of RP and talking in general so I wanted a good pair of astros with an A+ mic too which was a vast improvement even in comparison to my Turtle Beaches. They were well worth the upgrade and made a surprising improvement in my audio quality.
On top of all this I am usually always saving money to make my setup look eye-appealing as well. Lighting, storage, etc.
If you have the money to buy nice things and it makes you happy, do it.

Lindsy90

Reaction score
Personally.i have spent close to 1.300$ on my hobby in the last month.maybe more i gotva wi u with 7 games. The ps vita assassins creed bundle. A new gtx680 graphics card for my pc. And pre-ordered pain in full for the retro console.neo geo x gold. Plus assorted games like far cryve and otheir dijital downloads. I think i went overboard just a bit , but i need to know there that are doing the same thing..