• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you have to complete a game 100%?

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
There are only a two games that I 100% complete and got the platinum trophy. But I am not a completionist I play games to have fun and sometimes having fun means I 100% the game. :smile:

P.S. I give mad props to the people who 100% every game.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
I pretty much don't. It's hard to though. It's just that every game gets boring after a while, and completing a game with all trophies/achievements takes alot of time.Even though I want to I can't stand watching the same cutscenes and levels over and over again.

But do you find it annoying to do this because it takes time or why you don't like it anyway?

I use to, but these days my time is limited so I just play what interests me and move on.

But even with your downtime the idea of completing a game still is not something fun for you? Or have you really given up already?

Depends on the game I guess. If i really enjoy it I do, but thats not very often

When we are living the game (in other words, when we are addicted, haha! :sweatsmile:) to complete the game becomes something like a "matter of honor" (at least for me :smirk:).

Depends on how much I enjoy the game.

If you have really addicted to a game at any stage of your life, you certainly know how much completing a game is something important for any player. :bluesquarecool:

Last edited by a moderator:

ZXD22

Reaction score
Never have never will probably. Not really big into 100% finishing games, I usually play until I have had enough and move on to the next.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
Never have never will probably. Not really big into 100% finishing games, I usually play until I have had enough and move on to the next.

As a friend of mine who is addicted to video games says (more addicted than me): "What matters is the fun and nothing more". :smile:

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
If I could, I would. But challenges at end game like no death runs, speed runs, and max difficulty runs will always be more of a frustration rather than an enjoyable experience. In Steam I only have 3 100% complete games: Witcher 3, Skyrim, and Life is Strange. The rest of the games have at least 5 achievements that I gave up on because of the conditions I mentioned above. I did finish Resident Evil 4 and San Andreas back in the PS2 though.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I very rarely feel the desire to do that since I don't like a lot of the "collect all the baubles" stuff devs throw in to try and spread the game a little further. The higher quality the content, the more I'm willing to be engaged with that content, but I wont waste my time chasing other people's geese.

Tania997

Reaction score
There are very few games where I feel the need to do that. Mostly because they require you to collect a bunch of useless collectibles, and that's boring. Developers should make getting 100% fun, not tedious. There are only a few games where I got 100% because they had good side missions that expanded on the story and they were fun to do.

valy

Reaction score
I'm trying to obtain the whole 100% from a game, but sometimes I get blocked and when I see that I cannot move on I give up on the game and try another one. I don't like to lose my time with a game that is not worthing or is too easy, so I move on and try something different!

WarVet

Reaction score
Same here man. I don't ser why people have to be so perfectionist about everything. Let's suppose here that the tasks required to get 100% completion were actually enjoyable. I would most likely get bored and move on all the same

kenoobie

Reaction score
I do not aim for 100% except for a few games that I remember. I remember trying to 200% the map for castlevania and only reaching 194% and It really became frustrating to complete that 6% (I know that the map completion goes above 200% the exact figure i forgot). The other game is suikoden II in which I try to find all the characters in game.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Yeah, Pokemon. But when your favorite game has a new version all the years is hard to complete every one. Just once i could complete everything, soul silver.

What do you mean to complete Pokemon at 100%? Just complete the Pokedex with trades, catch and everything, or also levelling every single Pokemon, trying to find the best one with the best nature and everything (which is even more impressive)?

user238

Reaction score
I feel like in order to get the full value of the game, and I stop myself from buying additional games until I have completed the other game that I have bought....

Yea right, I hate you Steam.

I feel like you have to complete the game in order to get the full value out of it, but then again if you play a game that you spent 20$ on for 20 hours you've basically payed a dollar for a ton of enjoyment for that hour. So I've started looking at it that way. Sure, I can buy this Mcdonalds hamburger and drink for 10$, or I can buy a game for 10$ and eat at the delicious food that my wife makes me at home, and it will be healthier anyways!

Enjoyment and relaxation is the reason for Video Games, and if you are getting that out of it?

Then you've gotten your monies worth.

Pixie06

Reaction score
I usually set myself some goals before starting a particular game. Of course the main goal is to complete the game. But some games are really challenging and it can take an enormous amount of time to finally complete the game. I usually play games at my own pace and I do not rush. Gaming is my hobby and I don't want it to become a stressful experience. All that I want is to have fun. I remember that I took some months to complete the game Commando 2 and I felt so happy on reaching my target.

RosieDaven

Reaction score
Depends on the game itself. If I love it, I fetch my time into it, like with Alice:MR. It wasn't boring for me, I always found something in it, that kept me going, for the bottles, the memories, I wanted to know more, to see more of the game, and it also gives me the feeling of satisfaction, to see I got all achievement.

goldlady

Reaction score
Yes, I do! I think that's why I am so picky when it comes to games. I do not like to go trying every game I hear about and then not liking it and not playing it ever again. I like to try a game if I am sure it is my kind of game and I won't stop until I get to master it.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I always feel the impulse to complete a game to 100%, and I actually do when it feels feasible (most Metroid games and basically all Zelda ones). It's nice to catch little details or whole areas you missed or just skimmed during your main playthrough, and it feels pretty satisfying to figure out how to complete each side puzzle.
However, I never bother with games so huge I know I'd never finish, like Skyrim. If I'm going to play like a completionist I'm actually going to finish the whole game, not just a part of it.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Depends on the type of game. If it's a campaign or a story mode, then it's just wise to complete the game the game 100% I guess. I have completed quite a lot of campaign games specially the FPS one.

konomi

Reaction score
It really depends on the game! In Fire Emblem Awakening I took the time to unlock every single support conversation, even though it was super repetitive to do so. But most games I lose interest before I complete some tasks/achievements. I don't think I'll be able to complete all the achievements in Stardew Valley because I hate fishing so much :/ If all achievements can be obtained through normal gameplay, then they're fun & can motivate you to keep playing. But if you have to just...sit there and spend hours and hours doing some repetitive task, then it's easy to lose interest.

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
Yes! I have. I had complete games in my teen years! I used to have so much free time xD and also when I'm obsessed over a game is hard for me not to finish it. It becomes like something I have to do otherwise I won't stop thinking about it.

ballyhara

Reaction score
I would love to complete the game at 100%, but is not a must for me. What I really want to do is to finish the game, once I finished it then I can go back and try to pick up every single detail, coin, token, chest, or trophy. It can happen that maybe when I finish a level, I do it again trying to complete it 100%, so that way I'm leveling up and completing all at once.