• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you believe Game entitlement will be a problem with Kickstarters?

dexterlablab1

Reaction score
Most of us in the gaming world have heard of Kickstarter programs by now. They've been around for a few years, but have only recently became "famous".

Now, with these past couple of years in particular in mind, gamer entitlement has become rampant. Sometimes, the gamer/ customer has a valid point. Other times, it's the gamer/ customer asking for things that are simply ridiculous and selfishly petty.

But with Kickstarter, the funding of the games themselves come directly from the gamer/ customer themselves. So my worry is that eventually, people will start to have unrealistic wants and demands, simply because they've donated money into any certain game project.

Eva999

Reaction score
At some point, a game isn't going to live up to expectations and just be absolutely terrible and all hell will break loose. That's how I see it at least.

dexterlablab1

Reaction score
At some point, a game isn't going to live up to expectations and just be absolutely terrible and all hell will break loose. That's how I see it at least.

That's what I'm betting on to. And I can see gamers having a big fit about it. All it's going to take is one of these Kickstarter using developers to make one crappy game with the donation money for the whole thing to explode. It can even explode over something as a broken promise, where a developer tells the donators certain elements will be in the game, just for it to not be in the final product.

NewDCD

Reaction score
Gamer entitlement won't be a problem, because it's just an illusion the big publishers like to create in order to make the consumer sound like the big, bad wolf; it's a good way to remain relevant to investors while performing abusive business practices that hurt the customer. Kickstarter projects don't participate in those types of corporate scams, so it will not be a problem for studios like Double Fine.

Actually, let me rephrase that. There exists a sort of entitlement, but the consumer of any product is ENTITLED to recieve a product that match their expectations. That's how every marketplace works. Companies are trying to turn a consumer right into an ugly-sounding word in order to justify their less-than-ethical practices. You don't see "entitlement" problems with companies like Konami, or various indie publishers. Why? Because they treat their customers right, that's why.