• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Destiny II Uses Battle.net!

Midgarosormr

Reaction score
Okay, this completely surprised me, given that Battle.net was Blizzard's private baby.
Blizzard Entertainment: Community
They say they're only adding Destiny II's PC port's multiplayer, but would consider other Activision games in the future.

But, having the ecosystem of Destiny II's PC port locked into Battle.net? Wouldn't that kill cross-platform play, splitting the community and player-base?

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
Not really that surprising tbh. As Activision does own Blizzard.

With that said though, I don't like it :p I like just having my blizzard games in the "Blizzard Tech" launcher.

Midgarosormr

Reaction score
It does feel very odd, I agree.

Battle.net has always been for Blizzard games, unlike other platforms like Steam. Seeing third-party games... eh.

Gladdy

Reaction score
This isn't really news though. They announced it like a month ago. But yeah, I was as shocked as you because it definitely limits the player-base but at the same time I'd love to know how Blizzard managed to make this deal. They had to offer and give them a huge amount of money. So, for Blizzard, this is an amazing one of a kind deal that will bring more users to their Battle.net

Also for World of Warcraft players, this is excellent. If you buy WoW tokens in-game you can then add them to your Battle.net balance as real money and then buy Destiny 2 with it once it's released.

valy

Reaction score
Destiny 2 gives Bungie a chance to start again and do it right, and it’s giving off all the right signals: a strong antagonist, a followable narrative, memorable NPCs and actual engagement with the lore in-game. Talk is cheap, and we’ve been burned before.