• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Dark Souls 2 PC port?

Linkstor

HL2 Server Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, got Dark Souls 1 earlier, and found out it is almost unplayable for mouse and keyboard. Just wondering if Dark Souls 2 improved on this, thinking of getting it.

Osiris Lord Of Memes

Reaction score
Nope, dank souls two is horrid with a mouse and keyboard, you'd be better off just getting a usb xbox controller and playing with that. Trust me, I couldnt get past the first boss with keyboard and then when i switched over to controller I was able to be DS2 and scholar of the first sin easily.

Dr. Grant

Forum Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would suggest playing it on console if anything cause 1. bigger screen (if you get that dank TV) 2. Doesn't lag as much 3. Console is fun 4. It is easier to play with a controller rather than mouse (even if there are usb controllers)

Osiris Lord Of Memes

Reaction score
Or, you can get it for pc and run it on better quality rendering and still use your big tv for a monitor.

Dr. Grant

Forum Super Moderator
Reaction score
Or, you can get it for pc and run it on better quality rendering and still use your big tv for a monitor.
nahh console is better XD the reasons being for a decent computer for running a game without much lag is going to cost more than just buying yourself an xbox or ps4. Just my opinion I am not in the mood to start a console war so don't turn it into that please. But I guess if you want to go with a PC with "higher rendering" go for it.

McCain

Reaction score
I don't see what everyone is saying it's hard with a keyboard and mouse, I got to NG++ with a mouse and keyboard, just a few angling issues every now and then.
Maybe you guys needa...Git Gud ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nahh console is better XD

I've lost all respect for you.

Dr. Grant

Forum Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see what everyone is saying it's hard with a keyboard and mouse, I got to NG++ with a mouse and keyboard, just a few angling issues every now and then.
Maybe you guys needa...Git Gud ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've lost all respect for you.
I didn't know I had respect from you XD I hope you know that even as a console and PC gamer I am obviously going to go console, because that was the first damn thing I played since I was 6.

Linkstor

HL2 Server Moderator
Reaction score
Alright, nice info. Going to buy a usb xbox controller. Thanks!

Major Stern

WH Server Moderator
Reaction score
Comutes are for strategy games and garrys mod

Console is for everything else

Denis_P

Reaction score
Yeah, personally even after updates and fixes I wouldn't play any of the Dark Soul games without a controller. Being a PC gamer even I have to admit that some games are just better with a controller. I use mouse and keyboard whenever I play strategy games and first person shooters since those genres are best played that way, but for any other genre I find games practically unplayable with a mouse and keyboard. Driving games and third person action games which require you to move and adjust the camera always feel far smoother with controllers.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Yeah, personally even after updates and fixes I wouldn't play any of the Dark Soul games without a controller. Being a PC gamer even I have to admit that some games are just better with a controller. I use mouse and keyboard whenever I play strategy games and first person shooters since those genres are best played that way, but for any other genre I find games practically unplayable with a mouse and keyboard. Driving games and third person action games which require you to move and adjust the camera always feel far smoother with controllers.
Yep, I completely agree with you Denis_P. I actually tried to initially play the Dark Souls 2 on my computer with the keyboard and mouse and after a few minutes, I was just like NOPE!

I only played the Dark Souls 1 on my Xbox 360 so I didn't know that the optimization in such games is so bad on the computer. It is so, so hard to nearly impossible to play the Dark Souls on the computer without a gamepad. Luckily though, I have one of the Logitech USB gamepads that I use in such games. I've managed to beat Dark Souls 2 and 3 on the computer using it.

I don't know why some PORTS are just terrible from console to PC. It is like the developers don't even try to make them playable :(

thart

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that keyboard and mouse works. Once you get used to it, Dark Souls is meant to be played with a X360 controller, If you don't have one you will have to use keyboard and mouse. And the game is still playable, but the controlls just doesn't feel as smooth.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I never got the appeal of Dark Souls games. People say it's the next step after playing Skyrim, but from what I hear it's just one hard level after another. Why frustrate yourself needlessly when you can stroll down the fields of Skyrim at your own pace and you still get a pretty rewarding experience after playing? I hate getting frustrated when playing games because playing is my way to relax.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
Well, they are both playable using keyboard and mouse but it's just that it is hard to adapt with the kind of controls that Dark Souls has. I do not have any issues with the difficulty of Dark Souls since I even find the fun in challenge. It is just hard to control the character without a controller.