• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Console vs Handheld

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I'm quite the opposite man. I find that console games are usually better developed and better to spend your money on since you get more content. Also, handheld consoles are expensive and these days I can't spend much. So I mostly game on my PC (Steam). I find it that it's the best investment when you're short on money.
A PC is always the best investment for the money in terms of games (even though I buy most of them used, and the prices are really convenient), but I've always spent less on handheld devices than consoles. I found a deal for my 3DS and I think I paid it around ~150$, give or take, I don't remember the exact number. That's half the normal price of any other standard console. Plus, I like to mod all my devices and I've installed a lot of emulators on my 3DS, so I've got quite a library to access now (I'm all in for retrogaming).
I mean, it's true you can do the same on PC, but I probably wouldn't use them as much there.

WarVet

Reaction score
A PC is always the best investment for the money in terms of games (even though I buy most of them used, and the prices are really convenient), but I've always spent less on handheld devices than consoles. I found a deal for my 3DS and I think I paid it around ~150$, give or take, I don't remember the exact number. That's half the normal price of any other standard console. Plus, I like to mod all my devices and I've installed a lot of emulators on my 3DS, so I've got quite a library to access now (I'm all in for retrogaming).
I mean, it's true you can do the same on PC, but I probably wouldn't use them as much there.

Ohhh I get it. So in your specific case, it seems to me you got quite a deal for your 3DS. If I had 150 bucks at hand right now I would definitely spend on something else. Then if I had some money left I'd buy a new graphic card for my PC or a new game on steam but something cheap that wouldn't be more than 20 bucks. Still Congrats on your deal man. Cheaper is always better;)

overcast

Reaction score
Console games usually have developed in such way that you'd find some extra frames in such case than that can run on the PC. So you'd have to see what works good for your game. In some cases you'd find PC doing better. And in some cases consoles are what are worth playing for in that case.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Ohhh I get it. So in your specific case, it seems to me you got quite a deal for your 3DS. If I had 150 bucks at hand right now I would definitely spend on something else. Then if I had some money left I'd buy a new graphic card for my PC or a new game on steam but something cheap that wouldn't be more than 20 bucks. Still Congrats on your deal man. Cheaper is always better;)
Thanks! I've personally been a handheld fan all my life, so I didn't think twice about it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea, obviously.
Plus, even with only 20$, you could still buy some of the finest games of all time on Steam, during sales. It's impossible to find the same value for that money on any other device, for sure. If you're already a PC gamer, then it's a no-brainer!

WarVet

Reaction score
Thanks! I've personally been a handheld fan all my life, so I didn't think twice about it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea, obviously.
Plus, even with only 20$, you could still buy some of the finest games of all time on Steam, during sales. It's impossible to find the same value for that money on any other device, for sure. If you're already a PC gamer, then it's a no-brainer!

Yes, I am bro. The versatility of being able to work, play listen to music and so on in the same place just appeals to me so much. Also, i use a laptop so I can carry it everywhere too. For the broke gamer, there is no better thing than a PC. There is also the customization possibilities that the PC offer. For me, it's a no brainer really

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Yes, I am bro. The versatility of being able to work, play listen to music and so on in the same place just appeals to me so much. Also, i use a laptop so I can carry it everywhere too. For the broke gamer, there is no better thing than a PC. There is also the customization possibilities that the PC offer. For me, it's a no brainer really
Now that I think about it, that's what I miss the most about PC gaming while playing on handhelds. I've grown so used to multitasking that it has become natural to me, I always switch around tabs for different purposes. Versatility is exactly the word I'd describe PC gaming with.
Another upside to PC gaming is that it can be as accessible as you want it to be, especially with a desktop. You can upgrade a single component or all of them, you can go with high-tier hardware or go with a cheaper upgrade, you can stay with the same one for years or change every other month. With consoles, home and handheld alike, you're forced to upgrade if you want to play future games, period.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I do like to play my 3DS XL once in a while but I'd never rate it above my console (PS4). The consoles are just superior in many different ways. The graphics are better, bigger games choice, having a controller firmly in hand feels more ''real'' when playing, you can use any kind/size of TV, therefore, you can play on a much bigger screen and more.

The handheld consoles do have some great games.. but if you compare it overall, the consoles just produce more RPG genre based games which are my favorite.

WarVet

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, that's what I miss the most about PC gaming while playing on handhelds. I've grown so used to multitasking that it has become natural to me, I always switch around tabs for different purposes. Versatility is exactly the word I'd describe PC gaming with.
Another upside to PC gaming is that it can be as accessible as you want it to be, especially with a desktop. You can upgrade a single component or all of them, you can go with high-tier hardware or go with a cheaper upgrade, you can stay with the same one for years or change every other month. With consoles, home and handheld alike, you're forced to upgrade if you want to play future games, period.

The exception to that would the almighty PSP. I had two and I have to say it was my favorite handheld. Even better than the not any less awesome but at the same time not as much customizable Gameboy. I had heaps of games saved on my memory card and every day would be a new adventure. Fun times.

surlaw

Reaction score
Definitely depends on the game and my mood. If I'm in the mood to play something casual, cozy up and chill in bed, handheld all the way. The smaller screen gives such a comfortable feel, and it's much more appropriate than console or PC gaming in certain instances.

On the other hand, if I'm looking to play something more intense online, there's absolutely no way I'd go for a handheld. Consoles are much better suited to online gameplay, I think, and despite handhelds having that capability, it just doesn't cut it most of the time. Now, I love playing Animal Crossing as much as the next person, and I think the online capabilities there are perfectly fine for what it's used for. However, that's the sort of thing that has a more comfortable feel, so I think it falls into what I said at the beginning.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
The exception to that would the almighty PSP. I had two and I have to say it was my favorite handheld. Even better than the not any less awesome but at the same time not as much customizable Gameboy. I had heaps of games saved on my memory card and every day would be a new adventure. Fun times.
Yeah, I loved my PSP too, despite what everyone says about it. What made it even better was native support for PSX games (well, the ones on the store, at least). Plus, the fact it had a pretty big screen is what made me appreciate it more than any other handheld console from a hardware point of view. It was... satisfying to play with it.
The 3DS is basically its Nintendo counterpart, except it doesn't have as good of a handgrip. It was love at first sight, though. I just like consoles with digital storage for multiple games.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
For me it's a question of software development. I'll go where ever the novel game design is, regardless of the hardware. I grew up with the Atari 2600 and NES. I know immersive gameplay has little to do with hardware power so there's no advantage consoles have that handhelds do not in most cases. I have found handhelds often have to rely on more novel gameplay design to attract customers in lieu of the high graphical fidelity consoles can output, in in recent years I've been very pleased with my handhelds over my dedicated gaming rigs.

airfightermax

Reaction score
Never had a recent console and I mostly play on PC so I don't have anything to say about consoles.. I liked my PS2 though but that was years ago.

The last handheld that I had though was the PSP, I was SOO happy when my parents bought me that as a Christmas present. I played it endlessly for days! It had a lot of great titles too! Disgaea, Monster Hunter, GTA, Final Fantasy, and Tekken they were all there! My father also had some sort of an emulator installed in it, I was soo amazed when I was able to play Gameboy games on it, now I don't have to switch between the two! I still have my PSP but it's charger gave up already. I'm sure it still works but now it is retired inside my drawer. I still look at it when I feel nostalgic :^)

So yeah, I preferred handheld more since handheld is part of my childhood.

konomi

Reaction score
Personally I play handheld more than console. Even if I'm playing on-the-go, it's easier to get into a comfy position when I'm playing with my 3DS. The types of games I play aren't very intense or graphics-heavy anyway, so I don't really need the things that a console is better for. Plus...I need to wear glasses to see my TV, and I hate wearing them when I'm at home relaxing :tearsofjoy:

WarVet

Reaction score
Never had a recent console and I mostly play on PC so I don't have anything to say about consoles.. I liked my PS2 though but that was years ago.

The last handheld that I had though was the PSP, I was SOO happy when my parents bought me that as a Christmas present. I played it endlessly for days! It had a lot of great titles too! Disgaea, Monster Hunter, GTA, Final Fantasy, and Tekken they were all there! My father also had some sort of an emulator installed in it, I was so amazed when I was able to play Gameboy games on it, now I don't have to switch between the two! I still have my PSP but its charger gave up already. I'm sure it still works but now it is retired inside my drawer. I still look at it when I feel nostalgic :^)

So yeah, I preferred handheld more since handheld is part of my childhood.

Bro I spent countless hours on my PSP too! I used to have a folder in my PC with tons of games and whenever I felt like all I had to do was transfer to my memory card. But hands down the game that I spent the most amount of time playing on my PSP was Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. I spent easily over 300 hours building my base and recruiting soldiers. Did you get to play it?

fishmonk

Reaction score
I prefer console over handheld as the console game titles are way more attractive for me. I loved Final Fantasy series. Therefore, I must have the console to play such exclusive titles. I have no regrets on buying console.

Tania997

Reaction score
I prefer consoles, the game there are better than the one on handheld today, but when the PSP came out it was a different story. I remember not touching consoles and only playing that for days, with tekken, dragonball, Kingdom Hearts, final fantasy, MGS, you had everything on there. You could also play PS1 Games which was really amazing for me.

augusta

Reaction score
I go for handheld because of the simplicity and portability of going everywhere with it.I can play my games everywhere. it heps me ease off stress.