• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Coming soon to WoW: Buying game time with gold

Akhaim

Reaction score
So, it was announced on the official forums that Blizzard is intending to let players buy game time tokens which they can in turn sell to other players on the Auction House for gold.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15688408873

What are your opinions on this matter? I, for one, am very happy that they're doing this and the sooner they implement this the better. This is going to support the player community and keep it stable while also allowing the players that have less time to play to earn some gold.

How much do you think a token will cost?

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
I read this when the thread released and was interested in the idea. Although I can see it's gold value drop very quickly.

tournique

Reaction score
I am very happy with this change. As an avid gold maker I will have more gametime that I could possibly need. Will be nice to roll it around and send some gametime to my friends as gifts, hopefully they will come back !

Epicfied

Reaction score
I actually haven't heard of this before. I think it's a great idea, even if the gold amount if outrageous. It will allow people to have another option rather than spending a ton of money on WoW.

tournique

Reaction score
I actually haven't heard of this before. I think it's a great idea, even if the gold amount if outrageous. It will allow people to have another option rather than spending a ton of money on WoW.
That and the fact that I can actually have more benefits for having gold in game. Also it will drop the scamming rate of these actions.

RobertNick

Reaction score
Ever since the garrisons I've been making so much gold it's crazy, most of which I make sitting around across multiple accounts. I don't think the value will drop much, maybe just a bit when the shock of this being released dies down a bit.

Epicfied

Reaction score
That and the fact that I can actually have more benefits for having gold in game. Also it will drop the scamming rate of these actions.
I don't necessarily think it'll drop the scamming rates because this just gives another opportunity for people to try to scam new players.
I know my husband has a ton of gold on many characters and it'd be a good use for it.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
Ever since the garrisons I've been making so much gold it's crazy, most of which I make sitting around across multiple accounts. I don't think the value will drop much, maybe just a bit when the shock of this being released dies down a bit.
I think it will decrease in gold value in certain realms a lot. You have people who will find this as a "legal" way to buy gold. They will spend lots to buy game time to sell for gold and it will flood the market.

Right now with current gold standards, 1 month wont be worth much gold anyhow. $15 per month? Maybe 30k gold. Will start at higher of course when it first comes out. But will go down quickly. I believe it will go below 5k gold per month very fast.

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
This is an intriguing idea and a good one at that. It'll motivate players to earn more gold and stick around on the game longer, especially if it's not costing them real money. Gives me a reason to farm gold at least.

tournique

Reaction score
Doubt it will come as 30k per month, more likely as 50k per month. Anyway, it's a pretty good idea they are implementing and can safely say, I am assured for a few months/years lol.

RobertNick

Reaction score
A comparable model is utilized as a part of Carbine Studios' MMO Wildstar, which was launched in June last year. The game emphasizes an in-game thingy called C.r.e.d.d. which includes 30 days of membership time to a player's record when utilized. C.r.e.e.d. can be exchanged Wildstar's Community Exchange, and is likewise accessible to buy through genuine cash. If it works for them, it will work for WOW too.

tournique

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it should be the other way around. If It works for Blizzard, should work for smaller games too. Blizzard has a huge profit margin in order to neglect such things.

kittyworker

Reaction score
Interesting idea, is the value of gold a bit high at the moment? I'm also interested in how this may effect their player subscriptions. This pay structure worked limited in games like Eve so will be watching WoW closely to see if it steers more towards a f2p model.

Lola

Reaction score
Now that it's the end of June, has this gone into practice yet? If so - what is the going price in gold for a month of game time. I'm curious on how it works out in practice not just theory

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
Doubt it will come as 30k per month, more likely as 50k per month. Anyway, it's a pretty good idea they are implementing and can safely say, I am assured for a few months/years lol.
Now that it's the end of June, has this gone into practice yet? If so - what is the going price in gold for a month of game time. I'm curious on how it works out in practice not just theory
Going price of gold is different on every server.
Right now its 25.7k for 1 month on my server Echo Isles It has been between 20k to 25k roughly ever since it started.
Screenshot taken a few moments ago:
W1Fzsi0.png

Lola

Reaction score
This almost tempts me into playing again. Almost...but not quite. I don't have any max level characters on my old account I believe so farming would suck. I will have to consider it.

Guardian

Reaction score
I think its great for those that have millions stocked up. I wouldn't buy it though, I like my gold. :p

RivaCom

Reaction score
https://wowtoken.info/ for the up to date pricing. I believe it's region based not Server.

This almost tempts me into playing again. Almost...but not quite. I don't have any max level characters on my old account I believe so farming would suck. I will have to consider it.
It's pretty easy to level up, half of your leveling can be done with gathering in your garrison(from 90-100).

Lola

Reaction score
That is really good to know. Makes me lean even more to getting back in the game.