• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

COD or CSGO?

MakisHD

Reaction score
Recently I have chose Counter Strike Global Offensive in favour of Call of Duty for several reasons. First is "CS" do not produce a new game every year, instead add constant map updates and features constantly, not to mention that the game only cost me around £10 which is way cheaper than Call of Duty usually is. Other than money wise, Counter Strike offered me a much more competitive aspect to playing video games and actually involves team tactics. Not to mention the other aspects like skins, betting and the HUGE esports community. But what do you think? COD or CSGO?

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
I feel like this is a hard comparison to make. CS:GO and CoD both share the genera FPS, sure, but beyond that they are completely different games. Counter Strike involves incredibly advanced teamplay mechanics that you don't see in CoD. Plus, weapons and the combat system in general are hard to compare as they are almost completely different. Also, as you mentioned, CoD comes out with a new game almost annually, and with each new game comes a revamped combat system. Thus making it even harder to make this comparison

Nemto Tadak

Reaction score
Recently I have chose Counter Strike Global Offensive in favour of Call of Duty for several reasons.

You are absolutely right about the ongoing increase in value due to the persistent roll-out of new maps and add on components. This is what keeps a good game playable for years.

I also find the team play much better with the CSGO franchise. COD is over-rated in many aspects, but team play is where it falls short. That is sad given the online experience is supposed to be all about team effort.

I love the weapons packs that are available for GSCO. For the most value, creativity, team play, and insane battles, my money is on CSGO!

Honeymoon

Reaction score
I'll lay off the technical stuff and say CS:GO based on it's player base alone. I'm probably a bit biased since I play it and not COD (or not anymore, anyway), but yes. CS:GO's player base, albeit still being problematic, is so much better than COD. Their mindset is stupid and most of the players (or those that I've met anyway) are extremely childish and immature. No offense to the game's players here, you're probably one of the good ones.

Minecraft2201

Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it, I like Call of Duty better. The reason why I respond negatively to that is because COD has been so disappointing lately. Crappy games that I don't even want to waste $60 on it. I rather just save my money and stick to Black Ops 2 or Modern Warfare 2. Heck, I didn't even bother to watch the Black Ops 3 trailer fully...

Squigly

Reaction score
CS:GO is definitely the better game if you are a competitive kind of person. There is much more depth to the game, with a high skill ceiling when it comes to things like footwork, positioning, grenade work and teamplay. It's much less run-and-gun than CoD.

Dabstin

Reaction score
Gameplay and competitiveness wise? CSGO wins hands down. CoD gets extremely repetitive and it's extremely easy to 'master', whereas CSGO has a steep learning curve. Hell, I mastered CoD MW2 in 40 hours when I'm still considered low-average in CSGO after 300 hours.
Community wise though? I really hate the snobbish and elitist side of the CSGO community, which is not by any means a minority from my experience. CoD on the other hand is only filled with mostly children and teenagers, which you can just ignore when they get too obnoxious. Doesn't hurt your experience all that much. In CSGO on the other hand, teamwork is a major component, and you just don't really have the option to 'ignore' because it'll affect your experience and the outcome of the match to do so. Every time I see someone using a scoped weapon other than the snipers, they're immediately looked down upon as "CoD'ers" by the other players. The community just has this toxic habit of condescension and it always rubs me the wrong way.

MHFU

Reaction score
I feel these are very different games. You cannot compare them so easily. They both have their flaws, but they are also both good games. I do not favor either one of these games. Call of Duty has turned into a way faster paced game than it used to be. Counter Strike can still be pretty slow. Call of Duty also has a lot more game modes than Counter Strike, but Counter Strike does have community servers too. Call of Duty also has some other features that set these games apart like the new suits that give you the ability fly and the new ability to run on walls. The benefit of Counter Strike is it can be very cheap compared to the new Call of Duty; but you have to notice how I said new. I have purchased Modern Warfare 3, an older game, for only $5 including shipping. Counter Strike is about $10 on a website such as G2A. This is the base price, but some more addicted players spend a few dollars here and there on cameos and stuff, which adds up. Counter Strike is a great game to play with your friends and can be very addicting. In conclusion, if you can only buy one, and have the money, I would purchase Call of Duty. The reason I made this decision is there are far more game modes, there is a campaign, and I find the mobility very enjoyable. This is a personal opinion, and I would choose what you think is best. A deciding factor for me was which friends played which game, so I got Counter Strike and then Call of Duty. I find both enjoyable, but Call of Duty is a better option if you don't have the ability to buy both.

Squigly

Reaction score
Gameplay and competitiveness wise? CSGO wins hands down. CoD gets extremely repetitive and it's extremely easy to 'master', whereas CSGO has a steep learning curve. Hell, I mastered CoD MW2 in 40 hours when I'm still considered low-average in CSGO after 300 hours.
Community wise though? I really hate the snobbish and elitist side of the CSGO community, which is not by any means a minority from my experience. CoD on the other hand is only filled with mostly children and teenagers, which you can just ignore when they get too obnoxious. Doesn't hurt your experience all that much. In CSGO on the other hand, teamwork is a major component, and you just don't really have the option to 'ignore' because it'll affect your experience and the outcome of the match to do so. Every time I see someone using a scoped weapon other than the snipers, they're immediately looked down upon as "CoD'ers" by the other players. The community just has this toxic habit of condescension and it always rubs me the wrong way.

I think it's just the nature of more "competitive" games versus more "casual" games. The same scenario is mirrored between DotA players and LoL players, LoL players and HotS players, Magic players and Hearthstone players...

Everyone likes to think their skill in a more complex game somehow makes them superior.

leahcim132

Reaction score
As a CS:GO player (and many other CS players alike), obviously the answer is CS:GO. I've played a bit of COD and it's a very different game from CS:GO. Like others said in this thread, it's a difficult comparison since they are so different. I like the team aspect of CS:GO as well as the depth this game has which COD seems to lack for me.

Sino989

Reaction score
Well, personally, I am Call of Duty player. I always have been since I was about 8-9. I've never played CGO so I can't say Call of Duty is better (it's probably not if we're talking the recent call of dutys) or worse and vice versa.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
I like Call of Duty, just because I am very acquainted with the game and I play CSGO like once every month because my friends make tournaments, but I still liking more Call of Duty franchise.

Gladdy

Reaction score
If you are talking about the latest Call of Duty games then CS:GO is definitely superior but if the old ones, Call of Duty 4, MW2 and such then CS:GO isn't better in my books. The problem with CoD is just that Activision began making them every single year and they forgot about the quality. They seem to care too much about quantity.

I think CS:GO probably has a larger fan base though based on the constant huge events that they have. I don't really follow Call of Duty's competitive side.

However, I got very high hopes for the latest CoD - Call of Duty World War II. If they don't mess up it can be a big revival of the good old franchise that I loved and adored.

ponyoworks

Reaction score
CS:GO and COD are really distinct games, and are played with different styles. While they are both shooters, CSGO is more about positioning and tactics, and making good reads on your opponent, as well as the typical shooting discipline. While COD incorporates more run and gun style, as well as ADS (aiming down sights), it usually requires a higher sensitivity because you are running around more and have to look up in buildings or down stairs, while CSGO has a few crates to climb on.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
I feel like this is a hard comparison to make. CS:GO and CoD both share the genera FPS, sure, but beyond that they are completely different games. Counter Strike involves incredibly advanced teamplay mechanics that you don't see in CoD. Plus, weapons and the combat system in general are hard to compare as they are almost completely different. Also, as you mentioned, CoD comes out with a new game almost annually, and with each new game comes a revamped combat system. Thus making it even harder to make this comparison

Spot on. If you played CS:GO on competitive you would know how important teamplay is. Recoil on all the guns, learning how to control it. You just can not compare the two. There is a lot of stealth and tactics involved in CS:GO, while most of COD is just run n gun or even worse, dash n slash.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Counter Strike is more of competitive PvP online, while Call of Duty has some story aspects and game modes like that zombie mode which got popular a few years back. Both release tons of stuff for market purposes, with CS releasing custom gun skins, custom gloves, etc; while Call of Duty releases a new game every year, with additions of remasters and other microtransactions. All in all, I think both games are shooters, yes, but the core game and genre, as well as the fanbase, is like night and day in my opinion.

WarVet

Reaction score
It's all a matter of preference i guess. personally i prefer COD due to graphics and gameplay and mostly because of overall game quality. Personally i don't like a lot of competitiveness i prefer to play mainly to relax and have a good time. Still TC does have a point there. COD games have definitely seen better days.

thart

Reaction score
I'd say CS:GO, because for the price, it's really challenging game, the visual are great, the gameplay is greater. I enjoy it more that that COD, even though i suck at CS.

kenoobie

Reaction score
CS:GO because I used to play it with friends and we always have a good time win or lose. The game is fun and competitive as I learn a lot as I play different teams. There are a lot of mechanics and tricks that I learned in the game. And definitely the skill cap is way higher compared to COD.

Denis_P

Reaction score
As others have said, these games are pretty different so it's hard to really compare them. Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Counter-Strike all may be first person shooters but they are unique in their own way. But in any case, even though I stopped playing at the first Black Ops, overall I prefer Call of Duty to Counter-Strike. I could never quite get into Counter-Strike while I had enjoyed Call of Duty games since I first got addicted to the multiplayer in Call of Duty 2. Perhaps it's the kill streaks or the way the weapons feel, but something about Call of Duty's multiplayer always felt more visceral to me than Counter-Strike's.