• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Chatting while playing?

chumzybabe

Reaction score
No I would not chat while I play game because I wnt be able to concentrate, I like concentrating and hearing the sound of my game

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Back when I was still playing Arcane Legends, since the game was so social, we would usually chat during boss fights. In fact, it's probably the reason for about 1/3 of our deaths in the game, because the game had such a good social aspect to it. But when I moved on to other MMOs, I realized that regular MMO players don't really chat much during grinding, and it was kind of a culture shock for me as I still keep chatting during grinding in any MMOs.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
I feel you, dude! I think that I cannot do both things at the same time, because I cannot be focus talking to other people when I am playing, and I think that the people that can do that and still can playing well are good players!

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Yes... Its always how we can plan a successful clash. I dont contribute on the chat because im a slow typer but i read them and follow the instruction all the way.

Strelitzia

Reaction score
MMOs require constant communication to develop strategies and socialize so you kinda learn fast to learn how to multitask haha. I've gotten pretty good to the point where I can just type super fast and still play the game at the same time since my mic's currently in storage lost in the black hole somewhere. My guildies often crack jokes about my robo voice in TS/Discord. Honestly chatting with others makes a game more enjoyable if it's a social game. Otherwise solo games don't require that kind of interaction.

WarVet

Reaction score
MMOs require constant communication to develop strategies and socialize so you kinda learn fast to learn how to multitask haha. I've gotten pretty good to the point where I can just type super fast and still play the game at the same time since my mic's currently in storage lost in the black hole somewhere. My guildies often crack jokes about my robo voice in TS/Discord. Honestly chatting with others makes a game more enjoyable if it's a social game. Otherwise solo games don't require that kind of interaction.

Also as long as we're playing with mature people aye? When you have a certain degree of friendship with people i understand where you're getting at. Still when you're new to the universe or have to deal with teenagers making dick and your momma jokes it ain't fun at all. It all depends on the game and on the people you play with.

Strelitzia

Reaction score
Also as long as we're playing with mature people aye? When you have a certain degree of friendship with people i understand where you're getting at. Still when you're new to the universe or have to deal with teenagers making dick and your momma jokes it ain't fun at all. It all depends on the game and on the people you play with.

Thankfully I never really had that issue mostly because I was really picky about joining certain guilds. Even as a female player all those years ago when the stigma was at their highest point I lucked out in landing with fairly mature players. I stayed the hell away from FPS games with online mode like the plague since that genre tends to attract the worst of the lot. (Apparently 12 year old boys on XBOX Live screaming at others about incredibly crude things is still well and alive...) MOBAs swing either way depending and MMOs not so much thankfully-especially if they're paid sub ones. F2P attracts the kiddos like flies for that reason lol.

WarVet

Reaction score
Thankfully I never really had that issue mostly because I was really picky about joining certain guilds. Even as a female player all those years ago when the stigma was at their highest point I lucked out in landing with fairly mature players. I stayed the hell away from FPS games with online mode like the plague since that genre tends to attract the worst of the lot. (Apparently 12 year old boys on XBOX Live screaming at others about incredibly crude things is still well and alive...) MOBAs swing either way depending and MMOs not so much thankfully-especially if they're paid sub ones. F2P attracts the kiddos like flies for that reason lol.

Yeah had my share of this BS. Still, did you ever face any other type of BS? "Lol, a chick" "Gibbs your number pls" "Hey babe" and all that? hahaha
Been off the scene for a while but it certainly happened when I played.

Strelitzia

Reaction score
Yeah had my share of this BS. Still, did you ever face any other type of BS? "Lol, a chick" "Gibbs your number pls" "Hey babe" and all that? hahaha
Been off the scene for a while but it certainly happened when I played.

Oh god yes all the time hence my comment about XBOX Live, FPS games and MOBAs. MMOs not as much thankfully. Still got them now and then cause they're always gonna be there regardless haha. I've been on hardcore progression raid guilds in WoW back in the day and heard tons of disparaging remarks about women and gaming as well. Was top 3 on the server in DPS, when almost all the girls who played were healers. They are still are for some of it but it's quite rare. LFR'd for giggles a couple months ago on a subpar DPS class and wiped the floor when some morons were talking piss about women and gaming. I just said that I was a woman and wiped their arses in DPS in barely eligible ilevel gear and they had optimal gear + legendaries. That shut them up pretty fast.

huggy212

Reaction score
If im playing with people I know I always try to chat them from time to time. To keep the mood alive and to clear we are after the same goal. Most of the time when playing against another players I seldom chat them because it leads to bashing and hate words against one another. So yes I keep on chating team mates even for a while or while a bit resting.

WarVet

Reaction score
Oh god yes all the time hence my comment about XBOX Live, FPS games and MOBAs. MMOs not as much thankfully. Still got them now and then cause they're always gonna be there regardless haha. I've been on hardcore progression raid guilds in WoW back in the day and heard tons of disparaging remarks about women and gaming as well. Was top 3 on the server in DPS, when almost all the girls who played were healers. They are still are for some of it but it's quite rare. LFR'd for giggles a couple months ago on a subpar DPS class and wiped the floor when some morons were talking piss about women and gaming. I just said that I was a woman and wiped their arses in DPS in barely eligible ilevel gear and they had optimal gear + legendaries. That shut them up pretty fast.

Hhahaha well, it happens. While some people are definitely sexist other just recreate the opinion of others. There are activities that are better suited to men and activities that are better suited it woman Who would do better on a heavy lifting job? Does it mean that The woman can't do it? Sure it doesn't but does it mean she should? Any way to bring that discussion into gaming is just stupid. It's open to everyone all the same.

sakakimakio

Reaction score
Practically, I'm playing games for fun and entertain myself. So, I would welcome conversation as long it entertains me and enjoys chatting. However, there certain times, I would prefer to be alone especially in grinding levels so I would focus not to die and levelling would be much faster. But as others said, different gameplay requires conversation for strategy and such. Treatment for the foul words, cursing or lewd jokes would be just silence and let them talk to themselves.

castills

Reaction score

I guess I got lucky with only a handful of crude jokes. As a female gamer I tend to mute all users in FPS's or just make a new tab of relevant message filters in MMORPG's. I want to relax by playing and rarely use the mic-most games I play dont even hace VC.

Hilariously, last month tho, I was having mic trouble a pc without an intergrated one, and my voice sounded lower than usual. arrk. Was a funny wek on Discord as no one could tell if I was female.
rip.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I don't mind chatting while playing a game but if I'm playing competitive games such as a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, I'd do so responsively and chat only when I am sure that I am safe. I don't want to die because I was chatting with somebody else outside or inside the game because it would cause trouble not only to me or my teammates, but to us as a whole team. One death could literally mean the win or the defeat of a team.
If it is in casual games, I don't see what's wrong in conversing with other people in the game. It's even better to get to know some people.
It's just that when playing competitive games, especially ranked ones, chatting other people can wait.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I use VOIP (Discord etc) when I play MMORPG's. It's just too hard to type while playing especially while you're fighting. You need to be laser focused or your going to die in seconds. These newer MMORPG's are fast paced and require tons of concentration because you're fighting multiple mobs at a time. It's not like the old school MMORPG's where you're fighting one mob at a time.

WarVet

Reaction score
I guess I got lucky with only a handful of crude jokes. As a female gamer I tend to mute all users in FPS's or just make a new tab of relevant message filters in MMORPG's. I want to relax by playing and rarely use the mic-most games I play dont even hace VC.

Hilariously, last month tho, I was having mic trouble a pc without an intergrated one, and my voice sounded lower than usual. arrk. Was a funny wek on Discord as no one could tell if I was female.
rip.

Haha, that sounds good! There should be a gender hide option built in mics. No more problems ever haha. But I agree with the silencing part. When I played FPS I used to mute all chat and just leave some music to inspire me on. I never played team games so it didn't make much of a difference, I most certainly did not need to listen to some teenager cursing about how I killed him and such.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Rarely, if ever. I mostly play single-player games, so I don't need to, but sometimes I like to make a written commentary to my friends with less demanding games, I like to see their reactions or to get some feedbacks from others who have already played that game. I only actually talked to someone via voice chats a couple of times, but I find it hard to focus on both things properly.

fireball916

Reaction score
If I'm playing with a group of people I'll join a mic/chat party. I don't talk a lot but I like listening to others chat on it. It doesn't distract me and I enjoy listening to others, it fills the hole of my non existent social life hahahaha just kidding... kinda.

WarVet

Reaction score
If I'm playing with a group of people I'll join a mic/chat party. I don't talk a lot but I like listening to others chat on it. It doesn't distract me and I enjoy listening to others, it fills the hole of my nonexistent social life ha ha haha just kidding... kinda.

Know what you mean bro. Been there myself as long as there are no kids around I can deal with a little chatting too. While you can make some good friends online (I've had one friendship that lasted several years) I value real life interaction a lot more. Actually, as I spend a lot of time online nowadays I value any kind of real interaction over staying online. It's always more productive in my opinion

rockandgreen

Reaction score
I am terrible at multitasking but chatting whilst playing is something I frequently do on more social gaming platforms so I can learn about other players or work as a team with my friends.