• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Chatting while playing?

pandaa

Reaction score
A lot of people chat while playing, like on xBox Live, for example. What is your take on this, is it something you do?

I don't, I like to be focused on the game and hear the noises and sounds as well. :)

Hidden308

Reaction score
In my case instead of xbox live. I would use teamviewer. I really do enjoy talking while playing if the person is playing the same game as I am.

22_22

Reaction score
Depends what mode I am playing in FIFA but it doesn't really matter now as my mic is broke and my internet connection is poor. :p

Pokemon

Reaction score
When I used to play Brawl matches online, I would have to run over to my computer to chat with my opponent real quick. It was kind of annoying but I always wanted to hear what they had to say about the previous round.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
Sometimes I chat while playing a game, Skype or Steam mostly, and I don't like it really, but I just have to reply when I get the message. But I am not doing that instantly, I wait for the moment when I die or go to the base or something like that, depends on the game. When the coast is clear. So I guess it is not that harmful.

Gladdy

Reaction score
It honestly depends on the game and the mood I'm in. If I'm in a happy, chatty mood then I love chatting while playing games like WoW and Overwatch but if I just want to concentrate then I prefer not to chat in form of the microphone. I don't mind replying to messages in-game though.

Some games can be way more fun if you play with a bunch of friends and join a Discord server together. It can also give you a nice advantage when you are trying to call out places in the game or where somebody is hiding in FPS games.

However, I've had instanced where my friends decided to be really loud on the microphone or mess around and that can be distracting :p

ValX

Reaction score
I always chat while playing games, and that's if I can. I just felt like chatting with other person, even just on games and even just ordinary chats, makes me feel less lonely especially when I'm playing a game by myself ( but inside a server ). I tend to feel lonely when I'm playing anything single-player and even sometimes multi-player and I think chatting helps a lot.

Empire

Reaction score
When I'm streaming or doing YouTube or just online with other players then I talk on the game or other's like discord. I always chat to people anyway. even when I can not talk I use the game chat.

CBL28

Reaction score
I usually only chat if it's related to the game. A strategy or something of the sorts, for example. Otherwise I avoid engaging in casual talk, as I wish to concentrate on the game.
If someone sends me a message while I'm playing, that is an exception. I'll always respond, though out of courtesy. I don't wish to ruin my flow by talking to someone. I'm not a very good multi-tasker.

kenoobie

Reaction score
It depends I guess. I would be silent on games or areas where I needed to concentrate. While playing action RPG games then I could chat casually as the game does not require thinking.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Sure, if I know the people on the other side of the screen. If I don't, I'll most likely just stick to playing seriously, since I'm not really comfortable talking to strangers and doing small talk. If it involves the game, for example pointing orders or playing as a team, then yes, communication is important. But for casual chat? No thanks, I'd rather just play the game and try to win.

msyukionna

Reaction score
I play on PC, so the whole point of playing an MMORPG for me is to be able to chat. I love games that I can easily type while fighting monsters or training etc. I try to avoid Skype or voice chats because I always find I get too emotionally attached. I tend to be the only or one of the few female gamer. And I have a weird personality, so most people just don't get along with me. I like to keep my online relationships quite "virtual" and I've known to pull a Houdini or two on some people who I found I don't like.

castills

Reaction score
I tend to send the chat to a separate tab in case I want a little chuckle from the shenanigans. No matter what MMORPG, there is going to be at least one full of every language. A meme storm on steroids.

However, I tend to mute voices in team-based shooters as the yelling and squeaking can be distracting and a hype destroyer. This made playing Team Fortress 2 a rollercoaster. I try to give the users one game to get their mics settled, especially in a game where voice chat is in beta, like Paladins, but after that, mute. Typing during the game is hard to do in these action games without being eliminated by the enemy team.

overcast

Reaction score
These days due to the stream chat option, I don't look at the game chat for sure. I think not a lot of people are chatting into the game chat. When you have twitch and other gaming streams on. You can't really find much from the chatbox there. So it's fun to stream it on twitch if you are into such casts.

megaman93

Reaction score
Sometimes, sure. Other times, I find that the people on are a little to much to bear while I am trying to play games. There are others who make it their life's mission to annoy people as well...

Ash

Reaction score
I don't really chat whilst playing unless I know someone who I am playing with or am playing with friends. Unless the game requires a lot of strategy like Rainbow Six Siege, I don't see the point of talking much. I occasionally use my microphone to shout out where the opponents are or to tell my team mates where the objective is. Sometimes it can get really annoying because I swear some people don't realise that they have their microphones on and make stupid sounds. Just this morning I had some annoying Spanish kid singing nursery rhymes during Rainbow Six. Had to mute him because that game requires you to listen carefully and you just can't concentrate with some annoying kid constantly making sound.

Cendrillon

Reaction score
While I'm more of a lone wolf when playing, the times I do play with friends I like to chat as much as our current mission allows us.
I don't get that distracted and it's good to be on the same page with others and be able to have as much fun together as we can!
Chatting with others though? That can be a bit harder for me :sweatsmile:

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
It depends on the game, I do chat on online games like NBA 2K Online Taiwan, FreeStyle 2, Ragnarok and sometimes on CS:GO, DOTA 2, Heroes of Newerth. I chat to talk about strategies not for social stuffs though.

Sino989

Reaction score
I don't mind chatting while playing the game. I mean I occasionally have to tell my friends to be quiet if it's a sticky situation but other than that I like to chat while I play actually.

WarVet

Reaction score
Depends on the game really. Some games call for it like CS for defining strategies and such. Other games require a bit more of concentration and the chatting can really wreck your experience. Personally, i don't mind a bit of chatting. Gaming is a social activity after all and chatting and getting to know others comes with the package. As long of course that there are no swearing, cursing or penis jokes. In other words, as long as the age limit is respected.