• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Changes in gaming

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
I think that I like both, I like to play every type of game, only if it is good, the oldies does not have the graphics and the reality that have the newest ones, but it is not bad because I feel that there are old games that have a more complex and larger stories, so I think that the thing that moves me in games is that if the game is good.

kenoobie

Reaction score
I do not really have a preference. Comparing graphics, mechanics and overall gameplay between new games and old games would be like comparing apples and oranges. But if I factor entertainment value, old games are as entertaining as newer ones. If I was to describe why? Older games maybe simple but they are enjoyable. Older games definitely has its appeal and I would definitely play them not just nostalgia but entertainment.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
The thing I hate about presentation is when the companies don't deliver what they show. Honestly, misleading gameplay trailers and fake hype trains are just becoming too frequent. I like seeing games with great graphics, but they are not my main focus. I enjoy the game and the story more than the graphics. If you can combine it all, sure, that would be great, but people judge the game by the looks too often.
I agree that promotion videos are far better than the actual products. But this is a common marketing strategy that is affecting each and every field including gaming.

This is the main reason why I do not buy games unless I have played the actual game somewhere. But still, there are many games available today which are an excellent combination of modern age graphics as well as a perfect game plan.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
I agree that promotion videos are far better than the actual products. But this is a common marketing strategy that is affecting each and every field including gaming.

This is the main reason why I do not buy games unless I have played the actual game somewhere. But still, there are many games available today which are an excellent combination of modern age graphics as well as a perfect game plan.

Yeah, sadly marketing isn't what people think it is. I hate the fact that gaming industry is getting flawed by all that stuff. We can expect more and more products that will be released with lots of bugs, early access titles that will just pull the money out and than be gone with the whole idea and turn it into something completely different from what they were promising in the start

ZXD22

Reaction score
Compared to games just 20 years ago in 1997, games have changed completely! I mean you've got Super Mario 64, one of the first 3D games ever made and at the time it generated a bunch of ruckus, but now the gaming industry have just done such a great job with graphics and game play as well for many series. True game content in today's market will never topple the classics though.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yes, to be honest, I prefer the modern games than the old ones. There's a part of me that loves the realistic look of the characters and it makes me more invested with the character and story.
Yes, realism and the the story have had amazing advances through the years, but it also made game devs more reliant on DLCs and even so far as creating Day 1 DLCs just to extort the most money out of customers. Think about it. Games before had no way of completing their games outside of expansion packs, so they had to really make the game count on release day. Now, it's just a bunch of incomplete games that they charge you to complete. It's a mess.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Compared to games just 20 years ago in 1997, games have changed completely! I mean you've got Super Mario 64, one of the first 3D games ever made and at the time it generated a bunch of ruckus, but now the gaming industry have just done such a great job with graphics and game play as well for many series. True game content in today's market will never topple the classics though.
The graphics may have sucked but as kids we kinda made up for it with our imagination. We also didn't have to compare it to anything better, so graphics back then were mindblowing and was the best and most realistic look we've seen. Now when we remember those games, our memories are coated with a ton of nostalgia so of course, in comparison, newer games will be inferior.

valy

Reaction score
Hi, as you have said the advancements in graphics and multimedia had made tremendous changes and I would say that all changes were made I a positive way.Games evolved a lot, and in a right way, I like these changes, I am like an addict I want even more!

Makef0rt

Reaction score
The graphics may have sucked but as kids we kinda made up for it with our imagination. We also didn't have to compare it to anything better, so graphics back then were mindblowing and was the best and most realistic look we've seen. Now when we remember those games, our memories are coated with a ton of nostalgia so of course, in comparison, newer games will be inferior.

Perhaps, everything pleasing to our eyes is usually more attractive, but not even graphics can beat certain classics. Replay valu behind some old games is just crazy. You wont get that from most new games.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Perhaps, everything pleasing to our eyes is usually more attractive, but not even graphics can beat certain classics. Replay valu behind some old games is just crazy. You wont get that from most new games.
Yeah, replay value was a thing back then for a lot of games. I swear I could have played Tekken 5 and Marvel vs Capcom for days or months even, but when I got Tekken 7 last month I just played through the stories and stopped. Maybe there was so much replay value back then because we didn't have a lot of options, since games are all at full price? And now we have a ton of heavily discounted FULL games when Steam sales come along.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
Yeah, sadly marketing isn't what people think it is. I hate the fact that gaming industry is getting flawed by all that stuff. We can expect more and more products that will be released with lots of bugs, early access titles that will just pull the money out and than be gone with the whole idea and turn it into something completely different from what they were promising in the start
There are times when all the money spent ends up in a disaster and nothing else. This is all because of the fake illustrations in the advertisements. I get really disappointed when I end up in such deals.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Games of today are far more challenging and with better story line. Unlike games before, once you have master the pattern, you can end the game in no tme. And the story line stinks as hell.

Okaviator

Reaction score
I too prefer modern games to older games. The graphics and storylines have just gotten much better on games these days. However, some newer titles have me questioning the quality of their storyline.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
Yeah, replay value was a thing back then for a lot of games. I swear I could have played Tekken 5 and Marvel vs Capcom for days or months even, but when I got Tekken 7 last month I just played through the stories and stopped. Maybe there was so much replay value back then because we didn't have a lot of options, since games are all at full price? And now we have a ton of heavily discounted FULL games when Steam sales come along.

Well, partly. But I bet all of us have some games from 90s that we could play even today because they were really awesome, no matter how bad the graphics were. Many new games just don't have that. Its mostly, buy me, play me, throw me away.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Well, partly. But I bet all of us have some games from 90s that we could play even today because they were really awesome, no matter how bad the graphics were. Many new games just don't have that. Its mostly, buy me, play me, throw me away.
Hmm.. well, I would probably play them for nostlagia purposes, but if you show a kid our old games they would probably think they suck. Graphics were basically cubes, there were so many physical limitations to games, and no voiced dialogue for the most part. I'd say it's still better growing up with today's games, but we did make the most of our childhood ones.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Games of today are far more challenging and with better story line. Unlike games before, once you have master the pattern, you can end the game in no tme. And the story line stinks as hell.
I have to disagree that games today are more challenging. People have speedruns all the time in most games today. Someone even exploited a glitch in Fallout that made you finish the game in 24 minutes or so. It's not about linear gameplay or patterns; it's about people really obsessing over a game and having to beat the game at a certain time limit for bragging rights.

kenoobie

Reaction score
I too prefer modern games to older games. The graphics and storylines have just gotten much better on games these days. However, some newer titles have me questioning the quality of their storyline.
I agree that graphics and storylines keeps getting better as time goes but there are old games that still outshines the newer ones when it comes to storylines.

Generally for games, not all new games would be a hit, some would be just decent enough and some would be terrible. Once in a while there would be a totally hit game that would define a genre for games to come just like Diablo, Warcraft/DotA and half-life.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I agree that graphics and storylines keeps getting better as time goes but there are old games that still outshines the newer ones when it comes to storylines.

Generally for games, not all new games would be a hit, some would be just decent enough and some would be terrible. Once in a while there would be a totally hit game that would define a genre for games to come just like Diablo, Warcraft/DotA and half-life.
I think that's because most games these days are reliant on proven formulae from older games. That's why the groundbreaking ones, whether for the story, graphics, or game type, would rise to the top and set themselves apart from the rest. That's why there's so many games these days, and even though the AAA games are more popular, indie games can still get recognition via a high rating because of their uniqueness and appeal.