• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Changes in gaming

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
What do you think about the changes in the gaming that have occurred all over these years? With changes I'm talking about the looks and presentation of each game.

The advancements in graphics and multimedia have made tremendous changes in the display and presentation of games. They have become very attractive and eye catching. I prefer to play modern games when compared to the old ones only because of the improved style of presentation. Do you also feel the same?

Gladdy

Reaction score
I don't really prefer playing the modern games over the old ones. I still enjoy playing the ''oldies'' - I even have a ROM simulator on my computer with various SNES games and if I feel like it, I turn it on :)

However, I definitely agree that the new games are way more eye pleasing. What they've done with the graphics vs ten years ago is absolutely amazing. Often, when I game on my PS4 I just think to myself ''Wow this game looks so good'' - if you ever played the newest FFXV then you will understand what I am talking about. So yeah, the newer games strong points are graphics but sometimes they lack in quality in other areas such as gameplay vs the older games.

Javo1096

Reaction score
I think virtual reality puts not just gaming but general video interactive entertainment to a whole new level, in the right direction? I'm not sure because I've seen movies about when virtual things go too far (Black Mirror please). But seeing that those tools designed for gaming can be used in such helpful things like teaching surgery or for treatmen for persons with anxiety I can see there is sure a good use to these advancements in the future.

SpitfireMase

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with poor graphics, but the good games of the past that still hold up well in today's time inform today's gameplay. 3d platforming hasn't changed much because the earlier games got it so right. FPS gameplay hasn't changed dramatically because the games of the past found probably the most comfortable way to control the things. FPS games used to have tank controls that didn't really even fit with the style of play.

Excellent graphics are more eye catching and the presentation is important, but the memorable games of the past continue to impress its legacy into the gameplay of the new games.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Graphics are just aesthetics, the main reason why people are hooked with games, because its fun. It can be enjoyed by the old and the young. Good presentation of the game might have a bit of an edge but a game that is not boring, and makes you think and plan your next tactical strike is better.

I love the games of today because it's so unique. No patterns to memorize. It's your skill as a player can help you get through to every level the has to offer.

WarVet

Reaction score
Yeah, games have evolved massively. From a nerd and social outcast thing to a huge mean of entertainment, gaming has evolved is such a way that it's hard for other medias to catch up. Nowadays gaming has evolved into an art. I do love modern games and all their technology still much like it happened to music, it seems to me games of the past had much better stories. Game developers in the past were actually worried about sending a message with their work and nowadays, given we have some great storied in gaming, it seems graphics and gameplay speak louder most of the time.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
What do you think about the changes in the gaming that have occurred all over these years? With changes I'm talking about the looks and presentation of each game.

The advancements in graphics and multimedia have made tremendous changes in the display and presentation of games. They have become very attractive and eye catching. I prefer to play modern games when compared to the old ones only because of the improved style of presentation. Do you also feel the same?

The thing I hate about presentation is when the companies don't deliver what they show. Honestly, misleading gameplay trailers and fake hype trains are just becoming too frequent. I like seeing games with great graphics, but they are not my main focus. I enjoy the game and the story more than the graphics. If you can combine it all, sure, that would be great, but people judge the game by the looks too often.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I think the multiple endings idea is great. It gives a ton of replay value to the game, and it makes sure your choices in the game matter in the bigger picture. No more blindly following orders just to get to the end. The choices, decisions, and actions you make really would define what world you will leave behind once the game shows you the game over screen. It's really an immersive addition, and it will make you think more when playing.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
I think the multiple endings idea is great. It gives a ton of replay value to the game, and it makes sure your choices in the game matter in the bigger picture. No more blindly following orders just to get to the end. The choices, decisions, and actions you make really would define what world you will leave behind once the game shows you the game over screen. It's really an immersive addition, and it will make you think more when playing.

Multiple endings are great, if done correctly and you are not forced into most decisions. There needs to be a nice line on it. At times you should be forced to choose. At times you should have a more open approach on certain situation. Just by having simple yes / no or good / evil is nothing special. Every action that you perform should actually make you get connected to your character, to other characters you might be interacting with. Gaming has evolved so much that such things should be a MUST.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Multiple endings are great, if done correctly and you are not forced into most decisions. There needs to be a nice line on it. At times you should be forced to choose. At times you should have a more open approach on certain situation. Just by having simple yes / no or good / evil is nothing special. Every action that you perform should actually make you get connected to your character, to other characters you might be interacting with. Gaming has evolved so much that such things should be a MUST.
Yup, and that's why Witcher 3 really ruins your gaming experience for the rest of the games. It has a lot of things right, and multiple endings is one of them. In Skyrim, you can delay your main quest until you are level 81, mastered everything, killed everyone and got away with it with bribes, and you still get hailed as a hero who stopped the end of the world. Actions should have more consequences and not just a means to an unchangeable end.

Cendrillon

Reaction score
No more blindly following orders just to get to the end.
This is what made games a lot tougher back then! While the oldies have a lot of nostalgic value and we remember them fondly; once you were stuck somewhere, you were STUCK forever. Back then you couldn't find walkthroughs either, and that lead to a lot of pent up frustration for me.
It's a matter of keeping both pros and cons into mind :relieved:

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
This is what made games a lot tougher back then! While the oldies have a lot of nostalgic value and we remember them fondly; once you were stuck somewhere, you were STUCK forever. Back then you couldn't find walkthroughs either, and that lead to a lot of pent up frustration for me.
It's a matter of keeping both pros and cons into mind :relieved:
It's about choice. Back then there was only one way to finish a level. Well two, you either have skill or you finish it with pure luck; but still, it's about having a better replay value because you want to do another way to finish the game. You want to finish Mario? Follow the parade to the right. You want to finish Witcher 3, well here you go, go to Velen and find your way to the Skellige isles. It's gonna be a fun ride.

lindbergh

Reaction score
Ah, it amazes me how games have changed throughout the years. And gamers should be thankful that they have changed for the better.
figure2.jpg

Gone are the days of pixelated characters. Voice overs are now much better. Animations are more fluid than ever. Story telling is light years away from the past. Gameplay is generally much better.

Though theres a lot more gore, more sex, more swearing, and other negative things, the positives far outweigh them.

There are classics that pretty much hold up even in this day and age. But I wouldn't trade the games of today with the games of the past.

Denis_P

Reaction score
I don't really know how I feel to be quite honest. Call me old school but I'm actually not all that content with the current state of games. It's like with every release the graphics become prettier but there is something still missing. These days whenever I play a new game I think to myself, "Wow this looks absolutely incredible". And yet, I find myself playing it for maybe two hours and then never picking it up again. But if I were to play an old school game, I can play it for hours and hours still, even after years have passed. Why is that? I don't know, but to me it feels like most modern games are missing something.

overcast

Reaction score
I think graphics and audio changed a lot. Now the 3D graphics is more worth to see compared to the old one. And now the characters are moved more subtly that previous games. The audio in new games is also worth listening to. Considering the fact that it is not repeated like in earlier games there as well.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Aside from the graphics, I think what changed is the direction of some games. Back when the PS1 was released, it was the first 3D console and everyone took advantage of that, most of them made 3D games and laid the foundation for a lot of the games we have now. Back then I guess what was on everyone's minds were how amazing games would be as everything is 3D and becoming more realistic. Fast forward to 2017 and we have games that are 2D but are presented in a very smooth way that it's so good. I don't think people back then would've ever thought that 2D games could be on par with 3D games but here we are now. Kudos for the creativity of this generation's developers.

thart

Reaction score
Aside of those changes, games have evolved time from wire to wireless and all the way to were you can play online with others.

SashaS

Reaction score
I feel like in the past few years, graphics have hit a bit of a speed bump. Sure, game sequels usually do look a bit better, but if you look at games like Gran Turismo, Forza and Call of Duty, the latter titles are generally not that much of a step up from their predecessor's. You would expect a bit more given the insane amount of potential power computers and consoles have these days. Especially in mobile gaming. Your average modern iPhone is so ridiculously power but no game developer has really bothered to step up to the plate and improve on what has been done already.

Mobile gaming is pretty stagnant for whatever reason, that's for sure. Every major title released is just recycled ideas and generic trash.

Console gaming is great and the same applies to our PC brothers. Generally all round good titles coming out, with a big focus on that large, sprawling third person combat in a futuristic setting, which seems to be a big trend for whatever reason, as well as games that take place in other worlds. The ridiculous influx of DLC in every title can f**k off though.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
Yup, and that's why Witcher 3 really ruins your gaming experience for the rest of the games. It has a lot of things right, and multiple endings is one of them. In Skyrim, you can delay your main quest until you are level 81, mastered everything, killed everyone and got away with it with bribes, and you still get hailed as a hero who stopped the end of the world. Actions should have more consequences and not just a means to an unchangeable end.

Yeah, indeed. It has set quite some standards, and I am really glad that a smaller studio has made such a huge impact in the gaming world. All the big fishes should be ashamed. Quality matters, not quantity. But I guess if you make enough fan(atic)s on certain franchises you can just keep throwing new titles every year, just use the old game and change certain parts about it and adopt it into a new title.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
Yes, to be honest, I prefer the modern games than the old ones. There's a part of me that loves the realistic look of the characters and it makes me more invested with the character and story.