• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Can you believe the Xbox 360 outsold the Wii U?

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
Old thread, however, this isn't shocking. Like @tripz said, it was mainly due to the fact that Nintendo users were limited to gaming titles under the Wii U. Also, the Xbox 360 has and forever will be a classic piece of console gaming history. Microsoft left their mark on this machine. Personally, I'd go with a second hand Xbox 360 any day over the Wii U.

Tania997

Reaction score
Old thread, however, this isn't shocking. Like @tripz said, it was mainly due to the fact that Nintendo users were limited to gaming titles under the Wii U. Also, the Xbox 360 has and forever will be a classic piece of console gaming history. Microsoft left their mark on this machine. Personally, I'd go with a second hand Xbox 360 any day over the Wii U.
I agree, it is so much better. Microsoft really made history with that console, but the wiiU? I can't remember a really good game for that. When it came out, I didn't even know.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I really think it is not fair to compare two consoles with different release dates, especially because Xbox 360 was released way earlier than Wii U, and by the time Nintendo released their new console, Xbox 360 has accumulated available games for its system, making it still worth much more buying than the newly released Wii U which just entered the market.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
I can't remember a really good game for that. When it came out, I didn't even know.

Well, research shows me that this post was made on November 30th, 2012. The Wii U came out on the 18th of that month. These dates sort of ring a bell in my memory of where I was in the realm of gaming. To be honest, at the time I had sort of steered away from consoles altogether. Because after my PS3 days I went to the desktop screen, keyboard and mouse. No games come to mind when I think about the Wii U :tearsofjoy: Truly a console that came and went in my perspective.

It should also be noted that I wasn't a fan of Wii products altogether stemming back to 2006 when that original console system came out. So I didn't really have expectations (nor interest) in the following concept to come.

WarVet

Reaction score
I can, the only reason why the Wii sold so good is because it was a gimmick/fad and everyone wanted to be a part of it. Every game that I ever played on the Wii was horrible. And the Wii U is no different, it doesn't have any good games! And you need games to sell a system.

What about the classics man? In my opinion, a good part of the success of the Wii comes from franchises like Mario and Zelda. However, I agree on the Wii quality. Made for children it's not an adult's videogame in my opinion

AndrewG

Reaction score
That honestly seems very believable to me, as the Wii U was just a concoction of failure on Nintendo's part. As SeanP said, the marketing was just so terrible. It was like they didn't even try to differentiate from the Wii. I can't tell you how many non-gamer friends and family though it was just a game pad for the Wii. It was a shame though because they really did have a lot of great games on the system once they got past launch. Smash, MK8, Mario Maker, Splatoon, etc. kind of got shafted just because they were on a failed system. I imagine that's why a lot of the initial titles on the switch are just ports or remakes of great games on the Wii U.

Yiskah

Reaction score
When the Wii U came out my son was over the moon to get it. There was so much hype then fissel! It has been a big surprise to see how it has been received and the one pro I can think of is the price drop that's bound to happen. I think one reason so many are settling into PC gaming is for this reason. It gets pretty expensive buying the latest gaming system and the games that they come with. PC gaming cuts cost and gives variety.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I've always assumed the Wii is more for kids and non-gamers like parents or the elderly. Easy controls, light games, and all in all, it's more for fun rather than a serious gaming session. Xbox has serious games that can either be competitive online or just big AAA games that can drag you down hours upon hours of gameplay. Wii is something more for an hour or so of fun with kids and their parents, with nothing more serious than having to jump in place or whatever.