• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Can a Youtuber Affect Game Sales?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yes! Absolutely, I think Youtubers have become a master key to selling these games. I think if a “celebrity youtuber” or a known youtuber play a game, It got way more chances to be played by some other people, the same ones that watch him. It’s publicity and marketing of the product and they know how to sell them too or just disregard them for people not to even look at them.
Must be fun being Youtube famous. You get to play video games, post when you want, not have a boss, and just do the stupidest stuff like throwing eggs at a wall and people will pay you thousands for it. Gotta say people really know how to get money with the least amount of work.

Jameson

Reaction score
I think youtubers definitely have an impact on game sales, especially for people like....ugh....as you mentioned PewDiePie and such playing things like Five Nights At Freddies, people want to go out and play that game that their favourite youtubers made a lets play on.

I also think it affects what sorts of games are made, like for example Goat Simulator, it's intended as a silly broken game meant solely for youtubers to make videos on, then that itself attracts attention to something that in reality isn't deserving of the sales received.
I agree with you.Some youtubers out there can help pull in large profits for gaming companies.

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
Must be fun being Youtube famous. You get to play video games, post when you want, not have a boss, and just do the stupidest stuff like throwing eggs at a wall and people will pay you thousands for it. Gotta say people really know how to get money with the least amount of work.
lol true! but I actually think they have to work a lot to get famous! You need to be consistent to the channel and to put videos almost on daily basis with interesting content. I’m not saying it’s the hardest work in the planet but it requires some work to it.

RosieDaven

Reaction score
I gotta agree with everyone, it's not a coincidence that Mark mostly plays games from the steam, to give it a bigger audience, in my opinion. He wants to support all of us, the ways he can. So yeah, youtubers definitely has ways to push up or down the sales for games.

reginafalange

Reaction score
Of course, it is possible for a YouTuber to affect the sales. If a famous YouTuber makes a video about a game he really enjoyed people that were interested in the game and hear a good review will buy it. Same can happen when the YouTuber bashes the game saying it's not worth buying. I like to read or hear multiple reviews before buying a game but if someone is happy with just that one review they might buy a game and change the game sales.

valy

Reaction score
The answer is 100 % yes. We must admit that a YouTuber has a lot of power online (only if he has a lot of viewers) and it may have an impact on other people business, that is why some pay YouTubers to make them public or make a recommendation for their business. And this really helps a lot for some people.

ballyhara

Reaction score
Definitively, they affect gaming community by recommending or not, specially the ones that shows how to play new games, give hints, show tricks, seriously those guys are gaming machines. All the gamers I know so far, including in my family, usually check on them before getting a game, is like getting spoilers before trying it on hand.

kenoobie

Reaction score
lol true! but I actually think they have to work a lot to get famous! You need to be consistent to the channel and to put videos almost on daily basis with interesting content. I’m not saying it’s the hardest work in the planet but it requires some work to it.
I agree with this. Not only do you need to put videos out on a daily basis, you need to edit an hour worth of video and audio to make it more presentable to audiences in youtube.