• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Can a paid game corrupts?

Scholarkin

Reaction score
I do know some softwares, documents, digital stuff corrupt.
Please I want to know if the same applies to mobile and PC games .
Can a paid game file be corrupted making it useless to be used or installed?
Can the corrupted file be restored or the buyer loses?
Please I need your answers.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
It depends on where you have downloaded the software. Still, I believe that basically any digital content provider will allow you to redownload your files, so even if the original ones get corrupted you can just uninstall and reinstall. All major PC gaming digital stores allow that (Steam, Origin, GOG...). Of course, unique files such as save files, once corrupted, will be lost forever (unless the game has a cloud saving feature).
As for mobile games, yes, both the App Store (iOS) and Play Store (Android) will let you redownload any app or game you have purchased as many times as you want. The same reasoning behind save files still applies here.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Well I suppose the answer can be both yes and no, depending on the range of the files and formats you're referring to. Digital downloads are rarely ever a concern, because if you have purchased something through a game application such as Steam you can always re-download it in the scenario that something gets corrupted during the process. In that case, you're guaranteed to not lose out as even if it is a problem on the provider's end, they will most likely patch it. On the other hand, you do have cases of physical copies of games having corrupted files for whatever reason, and I think that gets a bit more complicated. I assume they could be returned but the process is probably tedious.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Well I suppose the answer can be both yes and no, depending on the range of the files and formats you're referring to. Digital downloads are rarely ever a concern, because if you have purchased something through a game application such as Steam you can always re-download it in the scenario that something gets corrupted during the process. In that case, you're guaranteed to not lose out as even if it is a problem on the provider's end, they will most likely patch it. On the other hand, you do have cases of physical copies of games having corrupted files for whatever reason, and I think that gets a bit more complicated. I assume they could be returned but the process is probably tedious.
Denis_P is correct. Also since you mentioned mobile games too. If you purchase any games through Google store, you can easily delete it and then reinstall without any extra cost. It is basically your game - you paid for it so it's yours forever. If it's free, then there's no issue anyway... just delete the corrupted file and reinstall.

It happened to me before with one of the older Steam games. I don't remember what it was but it kept giving an error saying the file is corrupted. All I did was, delete all of the installed files (uninstall) and then re-download, for free.

valy

Reaction score
Hi, Scholarkin yes there are softwares, documents, digital stuff that may be corrupt, but if you buy a game it may be or not, it depends on where you buy it! I buy from Steam and it never happened to me like a game to have a virus.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Every file on your computer can, sadly, get corrupted. But as long as you can reinstall the game from a physical disc, or download it again you don't have to worry.
The files on a DVD/CD/Bluray/whatever are there and they won't change, the disc might get damaged but that's another story. And Steam stores all the game files on their servers, and there is no way they could get corrupted. If your installation have any kind of problems, you can simply download the game - actually, Steam even offers a feature to check that every file is in order, even faster!
Don't worry too much about corruption! Just relax and have fun!

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
My personal experience with corrupted files is with some PS4 games, to be precise Minecraft.
The maps sometimes bugged the saved file, so I needed to start all over again.
The solution is either making a backup file or waiting for an update from the developers to solve the matter.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
You can always redownload it on Steam if your game is a dud. Since you bought it already it's yours to keep, and there's an option to check whether the files are correct or not. But in a more metaphorical sense of "corrupt", I think paid games can corrupt people into spending an unhealthy amount of time playing since there's the mentality of trying to "justify" the price of the game by playing them a lot so their money was worth it. Definitely heard of people waste their entire teen years playing MMORPGs just to justify the subscription rate.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
This is where Steam becomes reliable. Purchasing a game on Steam allows the game to remain on your account and you can download the game whenever you want and wherever PC you want as long as you are using your account. If in case the game wouldn't start, there is an option to verify game files, in order to check for missing files for the game. If you are referring to save games, I think every game that has a saving feature could be corrupted unless the game features backup and autosaving.

mcbryan

Reaction score
Of course! anything can be corrupted even important files. The best solution for this especially for those paid games you should always have a backup. You should also avoid viruses because it may affect the game especially pc games. You have no guarantee in life even in games so you should always have plan B.

WarVet

Reaction score
Denis_P is correct. Also since you mentioned mobile games too. If you purchase any games through Google store, you can easily delete it and then reinstall without any extra cost. It is basically your game - you paid for it so it's yours forever. If it's free, then there's no issue anyway... just delete the corrupted file and reinstall.

It happened to me before with one of the older Steam games. I don't remember what it was but it kept giving an error saying the file is corrupted. All I did was, delete all of the installed files (uninstall) and then re-download, for free.
It happened to me also with older steam games and with older games as well. Like you said it is always possible but i find that nowadays it's way harder. It seems that modern day games are much more difficult to corrupt.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I do know some softwares, documents, digital stuff corrupt.
Please I want to know if the same applies to mobile and PC games .
Can a paid game file be corrupted making it useless to be used or installed?
Can the corrupted file be restored or the buyer loses?
Please I need your answers.

It's certainly possible for a copy of a game to be corrupted on disc. Manufacturing errors happen. What you can do about it will typically be dependent on the policies of the store you bought it from. Most will not give you money back but will exchange the product for another, ostensibly fixing the problem. Online stores can be problematic as they rarely accept returns of any kind though if the company who developed the title is aware of the problem they may go ahead and issue a patch to fix it.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
Yes any game file can get corrupted, and Bethesda games are notorious for corrupt games files. For what ever reason their Gamebro engine starts going haywire around the time your save file gets to be 14mb or bigger. After that you get slow downs (lagg0 and you start seeing weird things happen in the game. That's why I always try beating their games before the 14mb mark and I always pickup and destroy unwanted items before the save file gets to big and then I am in trouble.

lindbergh

Reaction score
Yes it is very possible. That's why it is recommended that we regularly back up our saved game files. There have been a lot of reports across different games about purchased items and equipment being lost. Some were resolved while others were not.

I've also seen some paid games to have some start up or login issues upon updating. Some developers have recommended these games to be Uninstalled and reinstalled.

There you have it. Games and apps, whether paid or not, can be corrupted.