• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Best Apps/Softwares for building a game?

Scholarkin

Reaction score
Please house, which apps or softwares would you recommend for the building of good quality games with great artistic and graphic designs?
How and where can I get these apps and softwares?

Sino989

Reaction score
I would suggest gamemaker studio. I am pretty sure it's free and you can find it by just searching for gamemaker studio on google. A lot of people use it and it has pretty good reviews.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Game Maker is pretty popular, yeah, and it's pretty powerful if you use it right. Undertale was made with that game engine, for instance. It's usually recommended because it needs little to no coding, and even then you're going to use a custom language made specifically for Game Maker, which is a simplified version of standard coding languages.
If you want to make a 3D game, Unity is the way to go. It's very powerful, although it requires programming knowledge (the most popular language it uses is C#). Otherwise, if you want to make a 2D game you could go with Construct 2. Its major upside is that it makes games using HTML5, so you can play them right away from your browser. If compatibility with the greatest number of devices is what you're seeking, look no further.
Oh, forgot to say all of these softwares are free, but they have paid versions with additional features (Game Maker Studio, Construct 2) or compatibility with more devices (Unity), but that's not entirely necessary when starting out.

overcast

Reaction score
For Android I'd say Unity is turning out to be more popular. Though I have seen LIBGDX library. I don't think there is any specific use for the library apart from gaming. But I'd say that Unity is good enough on many points. I'd say start with simple engine like Unity or say even Unreal or Torque. That way you can learn from it.