• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Before you purchase a game...

Pixie06

Reaction score
Before I purchase a new game I watch the trailers, read most reviews on the internet and also ask my friends for their recommendations. Sometimes trailers can be misleading and this is the reason why I prefer to know the opinions of others before purchasing a game.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I have different approaches when it comes to video games and movies. For movies, I don't watch any of the trailers because they spoil a lot of the story and you kinda know what happens even before the movie starts. For games, I have to do my research because it's not just a few hours of watching something; it's at least 10 hours of your time and you'll pay 10 times as much. If I suffer through a bad movie worth $5, then I just wasted an hour or two of my time. If I get a bad game, I'd regret it even more.

Zyni

Reaction score
I watch trailers, look at reviews and sometimes I will rent the game if I am not sure about the game.

I love watching the trailers. I'm picky about the reviews I read. I mainly want to read reviews written by actual players, and not just write ups from people who are paid to do it.

That's a great idea. I think I will let my daughter rent some games to help her choose one that she will really enjoy. For myself, I'll always play the free version of a game if possible (I like MMORPGs).

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I always do. I look for reviews, gameplay videos, hands-on and other players' opinions before I spend any money.
Regardless, it's my own judgement to get the last word. This is especially true for franchises I'm familiar with, since personal tastes end up playing a pretty big role there, and I know I've got controversial opinions at times.

kgord

Reaction score
Sometimes I watch trailers when they are being presented by sites I am trying to earn money on. Oftentimes these trailers are meant to encourage you to purchase the game, so they are as enticing as possible. However, that little glimpe is not really enough to make a decision.

goldlady

Reaction score
I am a little picky when it comes to games. I am not the kind of person that just buy random games to give it a try. I like to do good investments. Usually I play the demo, check some gaming youtube channels and read a lot of opinions in forums like this one. It helps me a lot.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Sometimes I watch trailers when they are being presented by sites I am trying to earn money on. Oftentimes these trailers are meant to encourage you to purchase the game, so they are as enticing as possible. However, that little glimpe is not really enough to make a decision.
Trailers often lie. Lots of games show "footage" that don't look even close to what the game actually showcases, and the videos are just enhanced versions to entice people into pre-ordering the game. It's main goal is to hype people up; it's not the trailer's job to actually explain what happens in the game in an honest light. It's all about making sales.

Bayoneutra

Reaction score
Lots of games show "footage" that don't look even close to what the game actually showcases, and the videos are just enhanced versions to entice people into pre-ordering the game.

Nothing pisses me off more than being hyped up thanks to a particular scene shown on trailers only to be let down when it's not even close to reality, taken out of context so it looks cooler than it actually is, or even worse, flat out made only for the trailer and not shown anywhere on the final product.

This goes both for games and movies, and it's a dishonest practice that should be banned. I understand why they do it, but it still irks me.

kgord

Reaction score
Last night I was watching a trailer for the new Spiderman game on Playstation, and I have to admit it looks pretty awesome, but I had to think, is this the way the game would really be? Of course, since I don't buy games, it wouldn't be something I was really interested in, but it does make you think.

kgord

Reaction score
Before I purchase a new game I watch the trailers, read most reviews on the internet and also ask my friends for their recommendations. Sometimes trailers can be misleading and this is the reason why I prefer to know the opinions of others before purchasing a game.
I think getting personal recommendations is the smart way to handle this, because if all you do is watch trailers, as the others have said, you may be misled, as the trailers may only be giving you the highlights of the game and you may get little feeling as to what it is really like to play the game itself.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Before I purchase any game I always make sure that I know what I will be buying. I don't want to spend $50 on a game that I know nothing about. That's why I do extensive research, almost like I'm buying a house, haha :D

First thing, I always Google the game to see if there are any available reviews by the gaming companies. Then, I check through YouTube to see the trailers - but since you can't always trust the trailers, I also look if there are any videos that show bits of gameplay (some people get early access). If I am not completely sold by all of that information then I wait for the game to get fully released and watch some streams on Twitch.tv

Pixie06

Reaction score
I think getting personal recommendations is the smart way to handle this, because if all you do is watch trailers, as the others have said, you may be misled, as the trailers may only be giving you the highlights of the game and you may get little feeling as to what it is really like to play the game itself.
Exactly. I had bought games in the past only because the trailers seemed to be so good but I eventually got disappointed when I played the games. In many cases what I disliked were the soundtracks, graphics, the characters or the story itself.

RosieDaven

Reaction score
Yeah I always watch a trailer, and some playthrough, before deciding to spend money on a game. I really messed up just like Giovanniiiiii. It's better to be safe than sorry. :smirk: The best decisions in my life was always through playing with the game itself(borrowed from a friend).

djdanilo

Reaction score
I usually know what games I want to play and buy. If there is a new game, that came out, and I didn't plan on buying it already, I would probably watch the trailer or a short gameplay video before buying it. I rarely play demos, only if I can't find some good gameplay videos.

yaorice

Reaction score
I feel like it's a really bad idea to buy a game without playing a demo or watching gameplay of some sort. I feel like most of the games I've bought I've heard from circles of games that I already play currently, so I know that it's in a similar genre.

I feel like branching out from your usual genres is the hardest! I bought Skyrim on a whim when it was seriously on sale and have regretted it immensely--but I don't think there's a way that I could have known that I wouldn't like it beforehand.