• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Beats headphones banned from World Cup

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
neymar-beats-dr-dre.jpg

Apple’s new headphone company has been spewing its love for the World Cup all over the internet with huge cinematic ads and exclusive Jay Z tracks, but there’s one place you won’t see a pair of Beats headphones – inside the actual stadiums.

FIFA has banned Beats headphones from the football pitch and official media events thanks to a licensing agreement with rival Sony.

Footballs biggest stars like Rooney, Suarez and Neymar Jr have been seen rocking Beats’ bulky plastic cans during their downtime, but Sony sent all players participating in the World Cup a pair of their own Sony headphones that can be used during official matches.

Beats has been known for its guerrilla marketing tactics by using celebrity endorsements and music video appearance to cut down on marketing cost over traditional ads while maximizing exposure. LeBron James, Will.i.AM, Kendrick Lamar, and even Lady Gaga have reped the headphones before Apple came in with its $3 billion bag of cash.

Marketing experts in Reuter’s report say the Beats ban will probably only amplify their appeal when athletes are spotted using them by choice in their downtime. To outsmart the official headphone sponsor of the 2012 Olympics in London, Beats sent thousands of free headphones to top athletes. Maybe Jimmy and Dre can sneak one past the goalie again in São Paulo.

Source

Pluto

Reaction score
Well I think sony basically just told apple to go fuck themselves. This means war. Now that apple has beats, sony is gonna have a hard time keeping up.

Slash

Reaction score
Are Beats really that great? I've never owned a pair, but I'm not gonna spend $200+ on headphones. I have Skull Candy headphones that only cost $30, and they're great!

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
Slash said:
Are Beats really that great? I've never owned a pair, but I'm not gonna spend $200+ on headphones. I have Skull Candy headphones that only cost $30, and they're great!

Nope, I had a pair like 2 years ago I think.. but they sounded just like my $40 headphones but with a little more bass, I ended up selling them. Not good imo.

Guardian

Reaction score
They're great headphones, but they're not worth their price. Just like Apple products, so it's a perfect fit. :p

Demon_skeith

Reaction score
Wow, didn't think a licensing agreement with a company could lead to a product ban at an event.