• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

At what age did you get your first console/PC?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
God, the same exact thing happened to me, even the same game (I guess it was more popular than the previous two, for some reason), except it was my father playing it. I remember screaming like a little girl the first time the Nemesis appeared, and images of some of those damn jumpscares are still burned in my mind (freakin' dogs breaking in from the windows).
However...I never picked the game up again. It would make for a nice nightly gaming session, though. Maybe it's time to plug in the PSX again.
I played the game a few years back with an emulator. The PS1 died a long time ago so I couldn't really play it there. The emulator is great and since I had a controller anyway, I got the same feel as when I was playing from the actual PS1. I did okay; the puzzles seemed easier and more obvious, and the zombies don't really scare me as much since I played RE3 after I already played RE4 and even RE5 at that point I think.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I played the game a few years back with an emulator. The PS1 died a long time ago so I couldn't really play it there. The emulator is great and since I had a controller anyway, I got the same feel as when I was playing from the actual PS1. I did okay; the puzzles seemed easier and more obvious, and the zombies don't really scare me as much since I played RE3 after I already played RE4 and even RE5 at that point I think.

I generally prefer to play on the original console, but it's basically the same with a controller. Plus, e also have an option to use high-res texture and overall improved graphics, if I'm not wrong, so that's great.
And yeah, I imagine it must have been easier to play. Well, RE has never been much about puzzles, they're only there to make you even more anxious because gosh, why am I losing so much time here when there's a giant scary dude after me that could crash in at any time?
The great thing about horror games is that, after years, even though they're not truly scary anymore, they still maintain that eerie atmosphere that keeps you alert all the time. It's less about jumpscares and more about "This place gives me the creeps". That must have been the case.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I generally prefer to play on the original console, but it's basically the same with a controller. Plus, e also have an option to use high-res texture and overall improved graphics, if I'm not wrong, so that's great.
And yeah, I imagine it must have been easier to play. Well, RE has never been much about puzzles, they're only there to make you even more anxious because gosh, why am I losing so much time here when there's a giant scary dude after me that could crash in at any time?
The great thing about horror games is that, after years, even though they're not truly scary anymore, they still maintain that eerie atmosphere that keeps you alert all the time. It's less about jumpscares and more about "This place gives me the creeps". That must have been the case.
Still, I'm glad RE went to over the shoulder camera view, and with the most recent, a first person view. The old fixed camera angles were a pain to navigate through, and it would even be more annoying to be clicking everything just in case there's a key in an area or something. Running away is easier too because you don't end up running into walls because you can't control it properly.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Still, I'm glad RE went to over the shoulder camera view, and with the most recent, a first person view. The old fixed camera angles were a pain to navigate through, and it would even be more annoying to be clicking everything just in case there's a key in an area or something. Running away is easier too because you don't end up running into walls because you can't control it properly.
Functionality-wise, this is most certainly the case, camera issues are the most annoying to deal with. However, as inconvenient as it could be, you could feel the game was really well designed to work with the old camera system. You can see zombies approaching from afar, and that pushed you to constantly check every corner of the screen. It gave the developers full control over the players' experience because they knew what they were going to look at, and they kept you on your toes.
The latest games are now build around free camera movement, so they can achieve similar effects without being a hindrance to the player, but the old ones have a weird charm, despite some user-unfriendly controls.

alastor1

Reaction score
I think I had like 3 or 4 years when my mom bough a computer, a very old one (but for that moment it was fine), it was white and huge, my mom used it to work in home to transcribe people's documents, so when she leaves the house I played on it, but my mom was very strict, I was only allowed to play 1 or 2 hours per day, a really tragedy for me :(

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Functionality-wise, this is most certainly the case, camera issues are the most annoying to deal with. However, as inconvenient as it could be, you could feel the game was really well designed to work with the old camera system. You can see zombies approaching from afar, and that pushed you to constantly check every corner of the screen. It gave the developers full control over the players' experience because they knew what they were going to look at, and they kept you on your toes.
The latest games are now build around free camera movement, so they can achieve similar effects without being a hindrance to the player, but the old ones have a weird charm, despite some user-unfriendly controls.
My neck hurt from playing the old ones. But I agree, it has its charms. I never get motion sick from old ones which was nice. When I was playing RE7, I had to take breaks every 30 minutes because it got dizzy pretty quickly, but all in all still a pretty good game. How you can block an attack from a car by simply raising your hands is beyond me, but hey.

Neo

Reaction score
Yeah those were awful. They were more expensive than single titles like Pokemon, but the seller keeps saying it's worth it because of the number of games inside. LIES. And even then, the single titles were still amazingly well done; and I wished I could have played more but I only played several Pokemon titles over my GBA and I never looked anywhere else since the games had a lot of stuff to do.
Yeah, I gave up on those games too eventually and got onto GBA and never looked back at those terrible excuses of a lie.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
My neck hurt from playing the old ones. But I agree, it has its charms. I never get motion sick from old ones which was nice. When I was playing RE7, I had to take breaks every 30 minutes because it got dizzy pretty quickly, but all in all still a pretty good game. How you can block an attack from a car by simply raising your hands is beyond me, but hey.
No motion sickness, right, but sure as hell I got knots in the stomach running in fear from a room to the other, bumping onto every wall...yeah, maybe it's truly for the best they went with standard camera controls. About the dizziness, though, I know you have probably already tried all this, but have you tried moving your head rather than your eyes to focus on different areas of the screen? Having other sources of light seems to make things easier, too.

...I know boss battles can get ridiculous, but what? A freaking car?

Dhanidhamy

Reaction score
Mine should be when I was 7years old, it was Sega, really enjoyed playing it back then with my elder sister even though she was better than me at first.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
My very first console was all the way back in the glory days of bleep-bloop gaming in 1986. We got an Atari 2600 and my six year old head was blown clean off my neck. We had lots of the standards: Defenders, Space Invaders of course, Tanks. But the one game that really solidified my interest in gaming was a little known title called Maze Craze. It was a simple screen of a green background with yellow walls that you navigated your little blue or red square through in an attempt to get out of the maze.

It had several game modes that were mostly bad. Usually it involved making either your character or part of the board invisible. But the one good mode was the "cops and robbers" scenario in which either a second player or the computer took control of the blue square to chase down your red square. If it caught you, it was game over. And brother, let me tell you; game over meant something in those days.

I'll never forget the feel of that "paddle" in my hand...how stiff the controls were and how difficult it was for a clumsy little kid to hit that oddly positioned neon orange button. The sounds of the system are forever burned into my memory along with its seizure inducing flashing colors that were typical of software from those times. We did also have a Commodore 64, but that was more sophisticated than I was ready for. Atari 2600 will always be special to me for getting me into the wonderful world of gaming.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
No motion sickness, right, but sure as hell I got knots in the stomach running in fear from a room to the other, bumping onto every wall...yeah, maybe it's truly for the best they went with standard camera controls. About the dizziness, though, I know you have probably already tried all this, but have you tried moving your head rather than your eyes to focus on different areas of the screen? Having other sources of light seems to make things easier, too.

...I know boss battles can get ridiculous, but what? A freaking car?
The owner of the house which you go to steals your car and just repeatedly rams you with it. Your solution is to either get to the car first and then ram him with it, or you can just keep running around the closed garage until he hits the wall and injures himself. Yes, you get hit by a moving car and what do you do? Pour first aid alcohol on your hands to heal your injuries. Brilliant game mechanic.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yeah, I gave up on those games too eventually and got onto GBA and never looked back at those terrible excuses of a lie.
Yup. Whenever I see games or cartridges that boast "100 in 1", it's an instant no for me. I think the only market for those games are people who are new to the entire thing and would think it's a good idea and also pretty cost efficient to get them, thinking they are saving a ton from buying newer ones. Still, they did their job I suppose. I had Ninja Turtles, Battle City, and I think Tetris in mine.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
The owner of the house which you go to steals your car and just repeatedly rams you with it. Your solution is to either get to the car first and then ram him with it, or you can just keep running around the closed garage until he hits the wall and injures himself. Yes, you get hit by a moving car and what do you do? Pour first aid alcohol on your hands to heal your injuries. Brilliant game mechanic.
Typical example of videogame logic, lol. I mean, even in the first games you could gulp down medical herbs like it was salad to heal yourself back to green health.
Still, that's my first time hearing about this battle, and...fighting in a garage with a car in it doesn't sound all that comfortable.

Clara1993

Reaction score
Hiii I was lucky to be raised up in a 21st century house where we had a PC, Though it was accessed by everyone in the house and sometimes Visitors or neighbours still it was good to see how a big deal it was to have a PC in my small village I remember when I was 6 years old I used to invite my neighbours to play with me and little by little computer games became our only hobby, Till when we started to split for schools.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
I got my first console when I was 4-5 years old, it was a Nintendo 64 which I used to "abuse" 8 hours a day after coming home from kindergarten. I got my first PC when I was like 7 years old, it was an IBM computer which still had slots for Floppy Disks. That thing was a champ, it ran Windows XP with no hassle.

Okaviator

Reaction score
My first gaming console would have to be the PS3 I got when I turned 12. The good old days of Black Ops II were definitely a huge part of my childhood during this time.

Kharyode

Reaction score
Got my PSP at the age of 15.. I played games on it when I'm less busy...

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I got my first console when I was 4-5 years old, it was a Nintendo 64 which I used to "abuse" 8 hours a day after coming home from kindergarten. I got my first PC when I was like 7 years old, it was an IBM computer which still had slots for Floppy Disks. That thing was a champ, it ran Windows XP with no hassle.
Ah, floppy discs. Where you can send flash games to your classmates without hassle, but has trouble opening MS Word when your paper is due an hour later. Good times. Too bad kids these days can't experience 1 megabyte of data storage and having to budget that into your whole school project. Man, the early 2000s computer life was hard.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
Ah, floppy discs. Where you can send flash games to your classmates without hassle, but has trouble opening MS Word when your paper is due an hour later. Good times. Too bad kids these days can't experience 1 megabyte of data storage and having to budget that into your whole school project. Man, the early 2000s computer life was hard.
Haha, don't even remind me of them. I probably lost a lot of homework due to those floppy disks, thank god they're not around anymore. They were extremely good for games indeed, I used to load a couple of simple ones and sell them for money at school.

joegirl

Reaction score
Probably around age15. It was a shared property between me and my brother. We also had to pay part of the purchase from our pocket money so we can take care of it better. Asides from the usual sibling fights and bickering, it all worked out fine in the end.